Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

Default Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    I've already heard some tracks! They have resuscitated the Italian dance tradition. This is a turning point for renewed interest in learning these ballo liscio dances and for more mandolin players to learn how to read notation, not tab!
    Federica Calvino Prina, Beppe Gambetta's wife, published Traditional Italian Dances, a fine book with CD of audio examples as well (performed by the likes of—conveniently enough—Beppe Gambetta, Carlo Aonzo, the Orchestra a Pizzico Ligure, etc.) back in 2000. My own copy is still in a box after my last move, or I'd offer a more formal citation. (I'm not likely to feel compelled to formally engage in dance or need written references to do so authentically.) I'm sure the curious can easily Google it up. It's worth having for the CD alone.
    Last edited by Eugene; Aug-03-2021 at 5:53pm.

2. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Well, I just did a little Googling. I found an affiliated Amazon vendor is offering a still-new copy for $902.81. I like the book–CD, but maybe not quite that much. Guess I'm glad I bought mine in person during the single digits of the current millennium.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

On the cover, that's my 1900 Antonio Grauso mandolin with iridescent (abalone shell) butterfly! When Guggino told me about the title track, composed by him, I knew he had to see this image. I was thrilled when he happily used it to personify the fluttering tremolos of a true Italian mandolinist.
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

https://www.zighibaci.com (books)
    https://www.eurocafemusic.com (on hiatus)
    https://academia.edu (articles, monographs, papers)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi...FkUGI_5-XnJMoQ (YouTube)

5. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Federica Calvino Prina, Beppe Gambetta's wife, published Traditional Italian Dances, a fine book with CD of audio examples as well (performed by the likes of—conveniently enough—Beppe Gambetta, Carlo Aonzo, the Orchestra a Pizzico Ligure, etc.) back in 2000. My own copy is still in a box after my last move, or I'd offer a more formal citation. (I'm not likely to feel compelled to formally engage in dance or need written references to do so authentically.) I'm sure the curious can easily Google it up. It's worth having for the CD alone.
    I may be due for some clarification here, Eug.

I've got Federica's book as well, and if I'm not mistaken her expertise is in traditional Italian dances, which I understand differently from how ballo liscio is described through the frame of the music Sheri is compiling.

Smooth dancing. There's a lot of two steps, paso dobles, tangos, fox trots, beguines, etc. We enjoy going to the village sagras around our place in Liguria and that's the kind of dancing folks still do which I take as begin 'modern' in a way.
    Any well raised Texan (of a certain age) can smoothly ease his way onto the dance floor.

There are folks doing folkloric dances, of course, but that collection of tunes from Carlo, Beppe, et al really aren't folkloric tunes by and large, in my estimate.

Maybe I've got this all mixed up but thought to jump in and see what clarity I can come out with.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Calace is in the shop, so the Ellis will have to suffice. Trying not to forget over here.

2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jordan Ramsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I may be due for some clarification here, Eug.

I've got Federica's book as well, and if I'm not mistaken her expertise is in traditional Italian dances, which I understand differently from how ballo liscio is described through the frame of the music Sheri is compiling.

Smooth dancing. There's a lot of two steps, paso dobles, tangos, fox trots, beguines, etc. We enjoy going to the village sagras around our place in Liguria and that's the kind of dancing folks still do which I take as begin 'modern' in a way.
    Yes, I also understand these to be somewhat discretely distinct traditions, but united in being examples of (1) music as accompaniment to dance and (2) an effort to not forget Italian mandolin music. Sorry to have offered some unintended mud to these waters.

11. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

I definitely think so, if you look at big mandolin channels on YouTube you can barely find anything other than Bluegrass. It bothers me too, probably as I'm half-Italian.

13. The following members say thank you to SignorNic for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Yes, I also understand these to be somewhat discretely distinct traditions, but united in being examples of (1) music as accompaniment to dance and (2) an effort to not forget Italian mandolin music. Sorry to have offered some unintended mud to these waters.
    No worries, Eug.

You made me laugh though, remembering being at one of these vilalge Sagras, when I was asked to dance by a slightly regal nonna which had me feeling pretty good.

She might have been old enough to know some of the local folkloric dances, but this was a cha-cha.

I thought I was doing pretty well, dancing abbastanza liscio when she whispered discretely in my ear:
    "Ti aiuta davvero dire 'cha cha cha' ad ogni passo?"

Which I guess I was. Liscio e nel cuore.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Ha! Every bit as gainly as you'd expect of a bookwormy fisheries biologist, I'm rather deliberate in not dancing, while vocalizing or otherwise.

17. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Blog Entries

He does a heck of Bach. Not Italian, but not blue or Irish

19. Aug-24-2021, 6:46am

Roman Koval, thank you for that input. I feel you hit on one of those sensitive (irritating) aspects in defining what is Italian in Italian music and who gets to be classified as composing "Italian music." In addition, there is the other challenge of defining "Italian American" music in a movie. Coppola's father Carmine Coppola did compose a tarantella (included in my Mandolin Melodies book) but I don't recall it being used unless it was what mandolinist-composer Giovanni Vicari played in the wedding scence. Don't feel like rewatching that scene as I type this. Help! That said, I offer no answers. I simply wish to address this need to gunnysack all music heard in a Hollywood movie as "Italian." Is Carmine Coppola's wedding tarantella quinessential Italian? Yes. Is Nino Rota a great Italian composer? Yes. Is his Godfather theme quinessential Italian? Maybe. Ok, did I stir the pot?
    Last edited by Mandophile; Aug-24-2021 at 11:42am. Reason: corrected familial conx
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Roman Koval, thank you for that input. I feel you hit on one of those sensitive (irritating) aspects in defining what is Italian in Italian music and who gets to be classified as composing "Italian music." In addition, there is the other challenge of defining "Italian American" music in a movie. Coppola's brother/flutist Carmine Coppola did compose a tarantella (included in my Mandolin Melodies book) but I don't recall it being used unless it was what mandolinist-composer Giovanni Vicari played in the wedding scence. Don't feel like rewatching that scene as I type this. Help! That said, I offer no answers. I simply wish to address this need to gunnysack all music heard in a Hollywood movie as "Italian." Is Carmine Coppola's wedding tarantella quinessential Italian? Yes. Is Nino Rota a great Italian composer? Yes. Is his Godfather theme quinessential Italian? Maybe. Ok, did I stir the pot?
    In a way, Italian music in America can be any folkloric Italian regional style, ballo liscio, Neapolitan songs, pop music by Italian-American singers, Italian and other movie music, and so on!

Some folks I played for wanted to hear folklore...others want "Mambo Italiano"!

Pot still stirring....

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Responding to Sheri, the Coppola Godfather Tarentella & Godfather Mazurka are used in the film & on the sound track. They are performed by the Wedding band w Mr. Vicari, although difficult to hear the Mandolin. In the movie, they are in the background & when there are dancing shots. The soundtrack has snippets of both pieced together. I wish there were full takes of each & with Vicari’s Mandolin a bit more prominent. Alas. Also, I thought Carmine Coppola was Francis’ father. I’ll stand corrected.
    Quintessential Italian? I’d play them on an Italian gig.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

Carmine Coppola is absolutely Francis Ford's father.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aurora For This Useful Post:

yes, August, the older brother of Francis, was Dean, school of humanities/music at SFSU. Carmine was their father. A talented family.
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I admit to having the good fortune of being Irish, and being raised by my Italian padroni while my mother insisted we Texan pups learn Spanish.

The cultural overlaps and blurring have always been a source of fascination and good humor for me, but I do understand Sher's point about the need for clarity and the understanding and appreciation of original sources when it comes to her scholarship with Italian and Italian-American music.

These cultures (eg Irish, American, Mexican, Italian, Cajun) are melting pots in their own right. But there is great value in knowing the deeper roots of music and not to get lost only in the popular hybridized manifestations.

All those musical traditions suffer from the abuse of pastiche both at home and abroad.

There was (and still is) a whole genre of Italian music that riffs off '50s American cocktail jazz, ur-rock and roll, salsa, etc. The Conte fratelli and Nino Rota (and other cinema score composers) mined this deeply.

I think it is pretty amazing music. All the better for having an overlay from a deeply lyrical musical culture in its own right. I wouldn't quibble with them about this being American-Italian music or somehow lesser because of its accessibility or lack of authenticity.

The value in learning the depth and roots of music is inarguable to me. I think that such powerful musical cultures (such as jazz and the Italian / Italian American music Sheri is nurturing) are strong enough to withstand the occasional Dean Martin or Fred Buscaglione.

Around our house, Pedro Infante (or Caruso) wasn't Mexican-or Italian-music. It was just music.

Then when nighttime came and we could tune in the X that gumbo we're stirring got even tastier.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Mick’s post has triggered some memories of my mother. I’m half Italian, my mother’s side. Her parents came over on the boat & have their names on the wall on Ellis Island. Remember we still honor immigrants. I still identify more with my Italian side because my grandmother, we always called her Nonni, lived with us as I grew up.
    Food & Music were important. My mother’s taste in music was typical of her generation, Big Bands, Nat Cole Trio 78’s were records in our home. She loved Judy Garland, I think she played the Live at Carnegie Hall record my whole life. She also loved Dinah Washington & out of character loved Patsy Cline. She called her the Judy Garland of Country Music. High praise from my Mom. She would play Opera records, too. She called it Italian Soul Music. I didn’t appreciate it until later. She loved the Italian crooners like Sinatra, Bennet, etc, but hated Dean Martin. I mean really. She would imitate a low croony type voice ala Dino & say that’s Not Singing. (Funny that years later I saw Jerry Lewis live, I had been a Clown & liked to see old style comics).
    Eventually I picked up Mandolin & appreciate the Italian side, as well as Blues, Jazz, Bluegrass. After some lessons with Jethro I asked him if he could teach me an Italian tune or 2 to play for my mother. He did so gladly without hesitation. I still play his chord melody version of Sorrento to this day. I remember playing it for my Mom, she smiled & looked a little bewildered. Here’s her funky Blues loving Clown son playing Italian music on a Mandolin.
    Sharing some memories. Italian Mandolin not forgotten.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    Mick’s post has triggered some memories of my mother. I’m half Italian, my mother’s side. Her parents came over on the boat & have their names on the wall on Ellis Island. Remember we still honor immigrants. I still identify more with my Italian side because my grandmother, we always called her Nonni, lived with us as I grew up.
    Food & Music were important. My mother’s taste in music was typical of her generation, Big Bands, Nat Cole Trio 78’s were records in our home. She loved Judy Garland, I think she played the Live at Carnegie Hall record my whole life. She also loved Dinah Washington & out of character loved Patsy Cline. She called her the Judy Garland of Country Music. High praise from my Mom. She would play Opera records, too. She called it Italian Soul Music. I didn’t appreciate it until later. She loved the Italian crooners like Sinatra, Bennet, etc, but hated Dean Martin. I mean really. She would imitate a low croony type voice ala Dino & say that’s Not Singing. (Funny that years later I saw Jerry Lewis live, I had been a Clown & liked to see old style comics).
    Eventually I picked up Mandolin & appreciate the Italian side, as well as Blues, Jazz, Bluegrass. After some lessons with Jethro I asked him if he could teach me an Italian tune or 2 to play for my mother. He did so gladly without hesitation. I still play his chord melody version of Sorrento to this day. I remember playing it for my Mom, she smiled & looked a little bewildered. Here’s her funky Blues loving Clown son playing Italian music on a Mandolin.
    Sharing some memories. Italian Mandolin not forgotten.
    Joe B
    I play a lot of Italian music as part of my regular routine. Mostly the stuff that John T. LaBarbera transcribed, as well as other stuff that occasionally comes across my radar. Guggino’s album is also a favorite, as well as “Traversata” by Grisman/Aonzo/Gambetta.

Doing my best to keep it alive, in my small corner of the world!

Brian Oberlin will be playing at the CMSA Kalamzoo Convention and will be playing Prelude for solo Mandolin - Giuseppe Sollima. Now that's Italian--and pretty virtuosic.
    Jim

Dr James S Imhoff
    Boston University
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

1912 Gibson K4 Mandocello; Thomann Mandocello; Stiver F5; American? Bowlback; Martin 00016; Dusepo Cittern/liuto cantabile

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

Nice. Any details? Wouldn’t mind seeing if it’ll be streamed

I just remembered I uploaded a short clip of a few songs to share with a couple of friends last year after I bought my Weber. Old songs, new mando…
    https://youtu.be/pGdz67nVsM0

39. The following members say thank you to velogroove for this post:

This is not available yet, but my CD of Early Italian Mandolin Soloists will be coming out later this year:

http://www.neilgladd.com/Publications/GLADDISC.html

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neil Gladd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    As both a mandolin player (be it a bad one) as well as the producer and co-host of what is (possibly) the longest-running all-Italian radio show in the United States (since 1936), I sure hope that not only is Italian mandolin music not being forgotten, but also hopeful that real traditional Italian music isn't being pushed aside by contemporary western music as well; (a fear that I am almost sure is present in almost all ethnic cultures).

As a player I someday hope to find a nice traditional Neapolitan-style mandolin to explore some Tarantella's and some other bits of traditional Italian playing.

This video features only some VERY rudimentary mandolin playing, but I certainly like the fact that somebody young is keeping tradition with the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwqPmHi9A8g
    Hello, Mike,

I'd be interested in checking out your "all-Italian radio show." Any links/info appreciated.

I love Italian music, Italian mandolin, but my primary interest is records (of ostensibly Italian music), made in the U.S. by Italians and their descendants on U.S. record labels.

Yours, William

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    It's Luigi Embergher's birthday. Let's get the party started. Gonna be a lotta candles. Super Bowl party brings on an entirely different meaning. So many puns. So little time.

It's that time again, kids. Where else is this being celebrated on the internets?

Searching around for information on the man and ended up here. Don't think I've seen that page in 15 years.

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Buon compleanno Luigi

Strangely I have recently taken an interest in Italian mandolin music, oddly the Irish and Italians were sworn enemies on the streets of 1930s Utica NY as my Father would retell it, alas many of his close friends in maturity (as are mine) were Italian (kind of how it goes in Upstate NY)
    For me Italian music growing up was crooners and accordions and the Godfather. I did enjoy the Traversata record and some of Dawgs "Capone" compositions, but never went much beyond that.
    I like the Monti Czardas ( having heard them in cartoons or something and not realizing they were Italian mandolin pieces), might be fun to try to play if they are even approachable.
    I will say Hoffman does not do much for me, but the traditional tarantellas and waltzes are captivating. I was enjoying the few Bernardo De Pace recordings as I hear a lot of him in Apollon.
    That being said a near future of exploring Italian mandolin music is intriguing.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

46. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post: