Thread: Tenor guitar and bass guitar

Question Tenor guitar and bass guitar

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie ! I play bass guitar since few months and I'd like to know if the tenor guitar tuned in EADG has the same note as a bass. I mean, if I buy a tenor guitar (4 strings) do I have to completly learn this instrument or can I have a use of my few skills on bass ?

Harley Marty

Default Re: Tenor guitar and bass guitar

Hi Pedro the pivotal tuning for "tenor" guitar is CGDA (viola tuning). If you're Irish you would go the reverse of your bass guitar, GDAE (dropping the pitch of each string). Some guitarists tune their tenor guitars to the same pattern as the top strings of a regular guitar. There are a multitude of tuning combinations for you to explore, you'll read about all of them here on this forum & find all the tips for string gauges to make them sound sweet without turning your guitar into a banana. If you want to play with EADG tuning that won't be breaking any rules so long as you don't break your guitar
    One fundamental difference that you'll find to the bass is scale length (unless you play uke bass). The shorter neck of the tenor makes it more comfortable to play in fifths tuning which gives you a lot more range than fourths tuning on the fretboard. What you are most comfortable with when you are playing chords may determine how you want to tune your instrument. You'll get to see plenty of opinions on tunings on this forum:-)

Bass is also my primary instrument. When I bought my tenor guitar I looked into tuning it EADG but found that it was very difficult/impossible to play chords with that tuning. I ended up tuning my tenor guitar DGBE (Chicago tuning). If you plan on only playing single notes then you could tune your tenor guitar EADG, but if you want to play chords you will need to use a different tuning.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Oooh ok, thanks a lot ! I'm getting a ukebass with xmas so I'll see if the short scale rocks for me

Here's a 4-string tuned EADG (but 25" scale). Depending on what you do with it, that tuning can work out great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/wMLoXCkp...y=healyguitars

Harley Marty

I have a ukebass gathering dust, if I could tune it in fifths I'd start using it again CGDA is probably a big ask, but if I could get GDAE that would make me happy! Any tips for that one?

Aquila do make Thundergut set for a five string GDAEB tuning on a 23"scale ukebass. I found this idea on a ukulele bass forum:
    The low C string could be the low B string from the solid-body 5-string set.

The G string could be the low tension E string from the acoustic or the E string from the solid-body 5-string set.

The D string could stay as is.

The A string could be the low tension G string from the acoustic or the G string from the solid-body 5-string set.
    Last edited by JH Murray; Jan-01-2018 at 7:56pm.

That's a sweet looking instrument. I love unique builds and non-standard approaches to stringed instruments.

Harley Marty

[QUOTE=JH Murray;1622418]Aquila do make Thundergut set for a five string GDAEB tuning on a 23"scale ukebass. I found this idea on a ukulele bass forum:
    The low C string could be the low B string from the solid-body 5-string set.

The G string could be the low tension E string from the acoustic or the E string from the solid-body 5-string set.

The D string could stay as is.

The A string could be the low tension G string from the acoustic or the G string from the solid-body 5-string set.[/

5 string set is on order, I went for the Kala metal wounds. My uke is only 21" scale so I may be able to get a luthier to add an inch to the fretboard if the tension is low

Let us know how it turns out!

Harley Marty

Quote Originally Posted by JH Murray View Post
    Let us know how it turns out!
    @JH Murray. The strings are on & they are a big improvement on the originals the bottom C is a bit slack but plays ok through an amp. The GD&A strings are sensational, the A really barks. I'm considering getting another set & getting a cheap 1/2 sized cello:-) With the new strings & CGDA tuning this ukulele is a winner!!!

Harley Marty....what make and style of ukebass are you using?

Tony

Harley Marty

Quote Originally Posted by ajh View Post
    Harley Marty....what make and style of ukebass are you using?

Tony
    Yes Tony it's a 21" Harley Benton 4 string fretless with pickup, the sound hole is in the usual spot. The strings are Kala metal wound 5 string Ubass set, .050, .065, .095, .110, .125. The strings are made for 23" scale so mine being 1" short makes the C (B usually) on mine a bit slack, because it's tuned in 5ths the G & D have nice tension & the A is very tight. I left out the .095. These strings are also silver wound so I'm wondering how similar are they to the Taylor GS mini bass strings.
    I hope this helps.... Marty

14. The following members say thank you to Harley Marty for this post:

ajh 

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I've always been well up for a tenor tuned EADG (low to high), but not a bass. I'm rubbish at bass, but often with normal guitar I found myself just wanting the lowest four strings, as I love the tone of that, and the jazzy chords I play on it.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website