Thread: Advice for a beginner Mandoline

Default Advice for a beginner Mandoline

Hello Mandoline players,

I'am Marco from Holland and after 30 years of playing acoustic and electric guitars I want to explore my playing and want to buy a Mandoline .I like bluegrass , celtic, blues and country music. Because I don't know if a Mandoline suits me so it's gonna be a beginners mandoline. I read a lot a lot on this forum about what to buy or not. Laminated vs massive tops... The only problem we have in Holland that there is only one shop that is selling decent mandolins and the prices are very high. When I see the dollar prices of what you pay for a simple Kentucky , we pay almost double in euros . If we want an instrument , let's say a epiphone MM30 we pay almost 200 euro's without a setup, buying online. A Mandoline with a massive top from The Loar , let's say a LM310 starts at 300 euro's without setup. I'am a beginner and I don't want to spend that much money on a first instrument. I've been looking at a second hand market and saw a Aria AM20S (all laminated) for 100 euro's. Almost new, and in great shape. It had a simple setup and I think , for what it's worth, that it is a decent starter instrument. The second hand market is not that big in our country. Can you give me some advice ? Thank you .

Default Re: Advice for a beginner Mandoline

Welcome Marco, I think most here would say, get the best mandolin you can, it will sound better and make you want to play it more. I do agree with that, but in your case where options are so limited I think, find a playable instrument to see if you like the mandolin. I am sure you will as most of us do. As long as you have no problems with the sound of the Aria it will give you something to learn on. I believe the most important thing is that it plays well, then that it sounds good. It's nice to have both, but sometimes that is not to be. Good luck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I started with a all laminated guitar a long time ago and the sound wasn't that great. But I learned the basics on it and that was the purpose of that particular instrument. For a new all laminated Mandoline Ibanez, Aria, we pay 200 euro's online without a setup. That's a lot of money for a plywood instrument in my opinion. I think that Epiphone MM30 is the cheapest mandoline with we can buy with a massive top (always better I know...) but when I read the reviews here it doesn't get a lot positive feedback here on the forum so then I start to hesitate.... A decent laminate manoline with decent hardware or a Mandoline with a massive top with lesser harware. I've to setup them anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Marco1967 View Post
    Hello Mandoline players,

I'am Marco from Holland and after 30 years of playing acoustic and electric guitars I want to explore my playing and want to buy a Mandoline .I like bluegrass , celtic, blues and country music. Because I don't know if a Mandoline suits me so it's gonna be a beginners mandoline. I read a lot a lot on this forum about what to buy or not. Laminated vs massive tops... The only problem we have in Holland that there is only one shop that is selling decent mandolins and the prices are very high. When I see the dollar prices of what you pay for a simple Kentucky , we pay almost double in euros . If we want an instrument , let's say a epiphone MM30 we pay almost 200 euro's without a setup, buying online. A Mandoline with a massive top from The Loar , let's say a LM310 starts at 300 euro's without setup. I'am a beginner and I don't want to spend that much money on a first instrument. I've been looking at a second hand market and saw a Aria AM20S (all laminated) for 100 euro's. Almost new, and in great shape. It had a simple setup and I think , for what it's worth, that it is a decent starter instrument. The second hand market is not that big in our country. Can you give me some advice ? Thank you .
    My advice ? Don't start and quit while you are ahead and still sane !! You will spend all your time practicing and never be as good as you want or can ! You will be frustrated that a ten year old can pick up the mandolin and begin playing Bluegrass much better than you ! You will waste your time ( according to your wife) reading and posting on the Mandolincafe ! You will never be satisfied with your current mandolin and always lust for another upgrade ! You will start with cheap picks and eventually upgrade to BC picks which will cause you to take out a loan at the bank ! You will read all the threads on strings and spend a lot of money and time looking for that magic string set which will make you sound better, but won't ! You will eventually want an Ellis, Gilchrist, Wienman ( am I in trouble again ? ) or other high end mandolins ! Anyway, save yourself time and money and just-------------------- enjoy the journey and get going on your mandolin journey !! Enjoy the ride and don't worry about the destination !
    Last edited by yankees1; Dec-31-2017 at 10:50am.

5. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    My advice ? Don't start and quit while you are ahead and still sane !! You will spend all your time practicing and never be as good as you want or can ! You will be frustrated that a ten year old can pick up the mandolin and begin playing Bluegrass much better than you ! You will waste your time ( according to your wife) reading and posting on the Mandolincafe ! You will never be satisfied with your current mandolin and always lust for another upgrade ! You will start with cheap picks and eventually upgrade to BC picks which will cause you to take out a loan at the bank ! You will read all the threads on strings and spend a lot of money and time looking for that magic string set which will make you sound better, but won't ! You will eventually want an Ellis, Gilchrist, Wienman ( am I in trouble again ? ) or other high end mandolins ! Anyway, save yourself time and money and just-------------------- enjoy the journey and get going on your mandolin journey !! Enjoy the ride and don't worry about the destination !
    Thank you for the advice. Were did you all started with?

04Bravo

yankees1 may be right, better not to frustrate yourself with the mandolin. Instead, perhaps you could start learning trombone. I'm certain that there would be a good supply of trombones to choose from in the Netherlands, and likely very much cheaper than a good mandolin!!

But seriously: As a near-beginner myself, the best advice I was given when choosing an instrument was not to think in terms of price or name recognition. Instead, better to try as many different mandolins as you can find -- new or used -- and buy the one that fits you best and that you can afford without going deeply into debt. There are many, many variables in neck profile, nut width, scale length, action, overall feel and a who knows how many other characteristics that will affect your playing experience. I have to expect that this is the same as for guitar or any other instrument you've had experience with.

To enlarge on what pops1 said: when you have an instrument you like and are comfortable with, you'll enjoy the mandolin more, which will mean you'll play it more.
    Phoenix Select #654
    Harmony Monterey 417

Quote Originally Posted by Marco1967 View Post
    Thank you for the advice. Were did you all started with?
    Started with an Eastman A5 ! Have now graduated to two Ellis ( F and A) and a Wienman F5 and a Girouard A oval on the way ! Did not graduate by accomplishment of skill, just skilled in house/buying/selling so I can afford them !!

Find a price range you are willing to spend, and start looking at local dealers, online dealers, and the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds and/or Reverb site to find what strikes your fancy - and then try and find one in your region which could be an even bigger challenge as shipping could get expensive.

Often times you can find a really good user mandolin at a better price per features than buying new - then too depends on how much you want to invest.

Then you have to decide on F holes which have LOTS of bark (loud) or a more smoother sound of an Oval hole. An A style can be had for less resources than a Scroll version - and am told the scroll does not add to the tone - it's a status symbol.

I had NO IDEA how expensive this instrument was. Why of all things did the mandolin perk my interest over the years and not something that could be had for less than a pirate's treasure hoard?!? The challenge is half the fun though and am enjoying it even as a beginner.
    Last edited by James Miller; Dec-31-2017 at 4:18pm.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

I’m no expert but at €100 I doubt you’d do worse than the Aria especially if it’s had some set up. Thomann.de have a mandolin at €117 but that will need some work: I have one and you’ll need to lower the bridge, sort the intonation and probably change the the strings. Even then the sound isn’t great....

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Marco, it is good to hear that you are interested in trying the mandolin, I think you'll love it. It seems that you know a bit about how to do a setup in the manner that suits you. That will be the most important thing, no matter what mandolin you start with. There is no shame in starting with a cheap mandolin. I started with a cheap mandolin, and so have many others.

I believe that if you get a playable mandolin and do a good setup on it, you'll learn enough and enjoy it enough in the first year to decide whether to get the money for a much better one.

Good luck in your quest!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Get the Aria. If it's not comfortable to play, have a luthier with mandolin experience set it up. Play it for a year or two. If you're having fun and want to stick with it, shop for something fancier.

A secret of mandolins: Because they don't have the sustain of a guitar or violin, most of the sound is the player, not the instrument. So you should be able to get an agreeable sound out of the Aria.

and for another idea ... you can always start on a bowlback -- they're usually cheaper, easier to find and since they're mandolins, you can learn the basics and move on to an A or F or two-point or whatever when you're ready. just putting that out there.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    I had NO IDEA how expensive this instrument was. Why of all things did the mandolin perk my interest over the years and not something that could be had for less than a pirate's treasure hoard?!?
    It's all about perspective. My son plays trumpet. An instrument just one step up from the most basic student model costs the same as what a lifetime mandolin (for me) would cost.

Great advice given by all. I would just add that in addition to a technically good mandolin try to find one that speaks to you, that excites you, one that you want to make music on even if everyone else thinks it's ugly or not "right" for a particular genre. Love your mandolin and it will love you back...

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    Great advice given by all. I would just add that in addition to a technically good mandolin try to find one that speaks to you, that excites you, one that you want to make music on even if everyone else thinks it's ugly or not "right" for a particular genre. Love your mandolin and it will love you back...

The thing that excited me about my first mando was the price.

A friend said, "Want to buy a mandolin?"
    I said, "No, thanks. I don't play mandolin."
    She said, "Fifty dollars."
    I said, "Sure!"

. . . You will never be satisfied with your current mandolin and always lust for another upgrade . . . .
    All true except that part. My third's the charm. Won't ever need another. (Want another is another story . . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    All true except that part. My third's the charm. Won't ever need another. (Want another is another story . . . .)
    Was stated "tongue in cheek "

Marco how about a vacation in the states & you can visit the mandolin store. maybe you could bring in a beater mando as a trade in & go home with a nice Eastman or Kentucky. would they beat you up on taxes when you go home ?.

I've made my decision and purchased myself a Wasburn M1-S/TS A-style mandoline second hand or third hand. I think it has a solid spruce top with laminated maple back and sides. For 90 euro's with case I think it's a good deal. It looks like it's new. The action is good but not perfect. The nut slots are decent and the instrument intonates well and stays in tune well. I've to adjust the truss rod a bit. It has a nice tone I think but I don't have a reference point on that. It seems like the previous owners didn't played it a lot because I don't see any little scratches on the pickguard. Maybe I remove the pickguard because it resonates sometimes and then it sounds like buzzing. I've to put new strings on and remove the DNA from previous owners. I'll start with Dáddario EJ74 strings and experiment with different gauges. My mandoline journey can start finally..... Thanks for the advice . I think you're right....You'll have to start somewhere and will never be satisfied.
    Last edited by Marco1967; Jan-06-2018 at 9:18am.

That's a good question.... I don't know if they check the instruments but I know they are not stupid....

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    Marco how about a vacation in the states & you can visit the mandolin store. maybe you could bring in a beater mando as a trade in & go home with a nice Eastman or Kentucky. would they beat you up on taxes when you go home ?.
    That's a good question.... I don't know if they check the instruments but I know they are not stupid....

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Welcome Marco, I think most here would say, get the best mandolin you can, it will sound better and make you want to play it more. I do agree with that, but in your case where options are so limited I think, find a playable instrument to see if you like the mandolin. I am sure you will as most of us do. As long as you have no problems with the sound of the Aria it will give you something to learn on. I believe the most important thing is that it plays well, then that it sounds good. It's nice to have both, but sometimes that is not to be. Good luck.
    Hi Marco,
    Many mandolins have warped necks and won't play well. If you look carefully down the neck you can see if the neck is straight. Usually at around the 15th fret it may have a hump or 3. There is no fix for this or really it is not worth fixing. The set up is easy. My luthier friend talked me through 2 of them, and I'm sure it is on youtube. A laminated mando seems to project outward, while a real wood one is easier for you to hear while you are playing. Ordering online is risky, unless you trust the person you are ordering from. I found 2 nice mandos in pawn shops for a fraction of what they usually cost.
    Good luck, harmonica bob

Hey y'all,
    I have been told by a reliable source that many good mandolins are made in China, but some bad ones are too. Maybe some of the wood is too green? Quality control by people that don't play mandolin? No 2 instruments are excatly the same. The difference may be very little or much more. I believe if you check out enough of them, you will find a keeper, even if they are all the same model. I check out used instruments where ever I find them, but pawn shops can be a treasure trove! I just got a kentucky km 350 for $150 and it is a good one. The day before I found a rogue 100a for $30. Both have great necks and I was able to set them up in about an hour, with advice from my luthier friend. I believe it is very important to check it out in person or have someone you trust check it out. Looking carefully down the neck to make sure it is perfectly straight is the most important thing. With these real wood Chinese instruments at much lower prices then we have all been used to, this is a great time to shop for mandolins. They do use thicker wood then the old vintage famous ones did. So, a $500 mandolin is never gonna sound like a $5,000 one,
    but we have sound reinforcement the old timers did not! If it has a rich warm sound, put a mic on it and it will sound great. If your mandolin can't be heard in a pickin' session, everyone is playing too loud. Happy pickin' to y'all

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    In theory he’d have to pay import duty at 3.2% (that’s the rate for a guitar, assume a mandolin would be similar) and V.A.T. at 20%. Those are UK rates, I assume NL is similar.

As to a “three card trick” with the beater an a new instrument it’s a gamble between a home run and getting sacked in the end zone: they can confiscate goods if you try to import illegally bu5 they might not notice.