Thread: E Course on My Mando is Pretty Harsh Soundi g

Default E Course on My Mando is Pretty Harsh Soundi g

I am fairly new to mandolins. Most of my playing has been guitars.

My new Breedlove crossover has a really harsh sounding E course. There is nothing about it that I like. In fact, I have thought about either giving up on mandos or buying a different one but I don't want a repeat of the Breedlove. I also find the 7th chords to lack the sparkly tone that I find on my guitars.

Anyway, I saw a thread on line (this forum?) about the proper distance from the nut to the 12th fret being equidistant to the bridge. On my mandolin, there is a 1/2 inch difference with the nut to 12th fret being 6 3/4 inches while, the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge is 7 1/4 inches.

For those that know this stuff, is this mando not properly set up? It was originally set up at the factory while I was standing there.

Or, am I expecting guitar mellowness from what is really a screechy instrument?

Default Re: E Course on My Mando is Pretty Harsh Soundi g

It would seem that it was setup incorrectly. Did you buy this from a store or online? If from a store take it back and have them reset the bridge. If you bought online you need to find someone who knows how to setup a mandolin.They should be the same distance. From your measurements the length from the nut to the bridge should be 13 1/2 inches,I looked online and it should be 14 inches.
    Last edited by George R. Lane; Jan-02-2018 at 5:17pm. Reason: Just found out the proper length

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Hello, welcome!

I really like the Breedlove Crossover... If set up and playable.

Check the string height...

Play an open string. If the note buzzes, loosen the strings and raise the bridge. Do this for all four strings. Try to go as low as possible without to much buzzing.

Next check your intonation...

Fret your mandolins G string on the 7th fret, this should be a D note. If it plays flat, loosen the strings and move the bridge forward. If it plays sharp, loosen the strings and move the bridge back. Do this process on the E as well.

This takes time but is necessary for a well playing mando.

Also, try light gauge strings.

Remember, mandolins do not have a ringing, sustaining sound like guitars do but if set up right make incredible music.

Below is some info... for all mandolins not just Webers.

https://webermandolins.com/support/playability

4. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

1. The factory for the new Crossovers is in China, I believe. That's a long way from he "great Northwest"; were you over there picking yours up?

2. You might want to PM Cafe member Rob Meldrum for his e-book on how to set up a mandolin in the privacy of your own home. Check out this current thread for more info on the subject. No cost to Cafe members.

3. I have no idea how you could play a few chords, let alone get a "sparkly tone" and avoid "harsh sounding" E strings -- any string, for that matter -- with a bridge that's a half inch out of proper location. Heck, an eighth of an inch will produce obvious dissonance if you play more than two frets up from the nut.

Get the mandolin properly set up; if you think, as a new player, that you'd rather have a pro do it, take it to the shop that maintains your guitars. Even someone less experienced with mandolins, will have some idea of how to achieve proper intonation. Then give your instrument a fair chance. The Asian Breedloves aren't the same as the US-made ones, but they're good enough to learn on, for sure.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

If you're in the Seattle area, take it in to Dusty Strings and have them set it up for you.
    If you're anywhere near Bend, OR, take it to Two Old Hippies (Breedlove's parent company) and have them set it up properly for you.

As a quick fix, loosen the strings and measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret - then measure the distance from the 12th fret to the point the strings cross the bridge. Those measurement should be exactly the same. Slide the bridge to a position where the 12th fret is half way between the nut and bridge, in other words. Tighten the strings back up to pitch. This is a fair approximation of where the bridge should be and should give decent intonation for a start.

As advised above, email Rob for his ebook for more exact positioning. His ebook also discusses setting the height of the bridge and the height of the strings at the nut.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I just noticed that you are in the Great North West. So am I (Auburn Wa) if your anywhere near let me know if you need help. I hoping to go to the Acoustic jam in Seattle on friday https://www.meetup.com/Seattle-Acous...nts/246341764/

What strings do you use? I find heavier strings to have a more pleasant, less harsh tone.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

The distance from the nut to the 12th fret is NOT the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. Intonation is adjusted having to take into account string stretch so the bridge will be farther back than that same measurement. Not as far back as your mandolin. Doubling the distance from the nut to the 12th fret will give you scale length, but the scale length of any instrument will never be the same as the measurement from the nut to the bridge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

gtani7 

Thanks all. I moved the bridge a bit and everything got better. I will work more on it tomorrow but, simply moving the bridge made a huge difference.

For the record, I bought this from the Breedlove factory store in Bend.

If you are in Bend, let me know. I’m not super proficient on set ups, but can certainly help with setting the bridge for proper intonation. There’s also a wealth of group playing opportunities in the area in a bunch of various genres. Send a pm if you feel so inclined.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Scott For This Useful Post:

As a guitar player who has taken up mandolin, you need to forget all about the guitar's tone. Nothing is the same, nor would you want it to be, but there is one inescapable truth, and that is good mandolins cost at least twice what good guitars do. Add a bunch more for a scroll.

You need to get your hands on a Weber, Gibson, Collings or Pava, or any of the dozens of fine mandolin brands. Once you get over the shock of just how good they can be, save up the $1400-2000 and buy a used A.

Ditch the guitar pick you have been using and buy some heavy picks. Getting tone from a mandolin has to be earned. Pay attention to the sweet spot just off the fretboard. Wandering toward the bridge will sound thin quick. The ideal pick grip for mandolin is just short of dropping it. Silk and steel strings can warm up some mandolins.

Now the good news: once set up, you can learn on just about anything while you scrape up the dough for your next upgrade.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
    Thanks all. I moved the bridge a bit and everything got better. I will work more on it tomorrow but, simply moving the bridge made a huge difference.

For the record, I bought this from the Breedlove factory store in Bend.

If you have an electronic tuner. lightly pluck either the E or G string and then do the same at the 12th fret they should register the same. If it is flat. move the bridge towards the headstock and if sharp, move it further away from the headstock.

Thanks, I am in the Valley and I only get to Central Oregon in good weather. Still. if I set up a trip to Bend, I will PM you.

Rob Meldrum sent me his book and links to his YouTube site. Very cool! All of this knowledge for the price of a PM! Thanks Rob

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Barnett For This Useful Post:

I followed the steps in Rob's book to set up my mandolin. In the end, the bridge was only out about 1/16th of an inch. Guess that means that not all theories prove out in real life. Anyway, I learned a lot along the way.

22. The following members say thank you to Peter Barnett for this post: