Thread: Advice: KM252 or KM675?

Default Advice: KM252 or KM675?

Hey Cafers,

I'm looking to purchase my first mandolin. I borrowed a Kentucky mandolin from a friend for a little bit a few years ago and really enjoyed it and now I finally have a budget to make a purchase.

At the moment I'm looking at a Kentucky KM252 (for sale in the classifieds) or a Kentucky KM675 (from a very informative, out of town craigslist seller).

Being that I'm new to mandolins, I don't really know how these two stack up. I know the 675 went through some different production. The one I'm looking at is the Chinese model, but I'm not sure when it was produced.
    Both of the mandolins have been set up professionally and are being offered for similar prices -- the KM252 is 300 with a gig bag, the KM675 is 350 with a hard case.

So what do you all think about how these two stack up? Is the KM675 better or does it just retail higher due to the F shape?
    The KM252 seems like maybe less of a risk since it's from a seller on this site, but I figured I should give the 675 consideration since it's a really good deal and, I'll be honest, I find F style mandolins to be pretty darn cool.

Default Re: Advice: KM252 or KM675?

Obviously this will depend on the individual instruments, but in general, a newer KM-252 will sound better than a KM-675. The later KM-675 had good workmanship and are nice mandolins. The latest A style Kentucky's are the best sounding Kentucky has made short of the Master Models.

If you want to resale later, the KM-675 would be a good deal, based on it being worth more. If you don't care about resale, I would go with the KM-252.

I just took a look at both of these mandolins. The KM-675 is older. You can tell by the inlay, fingerboard (appears to be flat and has the full extension), tuners, truss rod cover plate (3 screws), tailpiece, headstock overlay. That would put it early to mid 2000's. Nothing wrong with that, but again, you would be choosing it based on the "look" and the fact that it will resale for more later. The tailpiece is slightly off center. I wouldn't worry about this at all, it is common.

Images from a newer version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	km-675-5-f.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	163691

Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks a lot Robert.

The seller told me that the bridge was upgraded and the tuner buttons were changed out by the previous owner. Do you mind chiming in on this one based upon its looks?

Do you still think the 252 would be the way to go? I am not concerned about resale value, I plan on keeping the mandolin for quite a while.
    Last edited by MoreThanQuinn; Jan-03-2018 at 11:46am.

I had googled it and found it.....

First up, if you want it, I would get it quick, as that is a good price and it is now being seen by a whole lot of potential buyers.

What I gather from the photos.

Might be some slight finish checkout on headstock by the binding.. No problem at all, and I am actually very surprise it looks this clean for a mandolin that should be over a decade old. Looks exceptionally clean. It really comes down to things we can't see... The neck and frets being the main areas to worry about. Doesn't look like this mandolin was played much, so fret wear may not be an issue. Level frets could be though. Minor high frets and such are easy enough to fix as long as the neck is straight, no major dips or humps and the truss rod is able to get the proper relief.

Buyer states the action is low and buzz free. If this is the case, then the frets should be fine (a mandolin with leveled and dressed frets should be able to go 4/64ths without buzzing for the majority of players).

I did notice the tailpiece being off center. It shouldn't be a problem though. I see this all the time.

Now as to this vs the KM-252, I have no doubt that the KM-252 is a better sounding mandolin. I know the F-style and getting a much higher model is tempting. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't try to convince yourself that it will sound better. That said, most people would probably get more satisfaction from owning the KM-675, simply because it is an F-Style.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Gotcha, well thank you again, Robert.

Another benefit of the KM252 is that (according to the seller) it was set up by you, so we know it passes your inspection.

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: You do think the sound will be noticeable better on the newer 252, though?

Ahh... And that would be correct.. I just confirmed it by the name:

Delivery date: May 27, 2017.

Very tough decision indeed.

The only logical choice seems to be purchasing them both! Ha
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

7. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Mmm, if only. Haha

One last thing....

There has been some confusion as to minor details of the new KM-250/252 mandolins. Especially in regards to the fingerboard. I say this a lot, but I gather that people take it with a grain of salt, as it is easier to just go by listed specs.

These mandolins are constantly changing. This particular one is an example. Note the headstock overlay is Black. It also appears to have a Radiused Fingerboard and has the Modern extension. There have been at least three variations on the new KM-250 series so far. I wouldn't say that one variation is really going to be any better than another. Just interesting to see so many changes (that are predominantly undocumented) occur within one year.

Name:	KM-252_a_md.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	163692

Name:	KM-252_1024x1024.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	447.3 KB 
ID:	163693

Name:	119332.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	163694
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Thank you very much, Robert. I appreciate the informative words.

Do you mind my asking, earlier you mentioned that you generally think the new KM252 is a better sounding mandolin than the KM675.
    Would you advise someone in my position to go with the 252 then, particularly since it was set up by you? Would it be a mistake to go with the 675? How much of a risk is it do you think? As I said, I love the look of it. I guess I'm just torn. A 252 with a reputable set up and from a cafe seller seems like a good, safe bet and I'm sure I could get miles out of the mandolin. And I wouldn't want to buy a 675 if the sound quality is significantly worse. I know I'm splitting hairs...

Edit:
    Oh, sorry. I just saw this. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Now as to this vs the KM-252, I have no doubt that the KM-252 is a better sounding mandolin. I know the F-style and getting a much higher model is tempting. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't try to convince yourself that it will sound better. That said, most people would probably get more satisfaction from owning the KM-675, simply because it is an F-Style.
    Last edited by MoreThanQuinn; Jan-03-2018 at 12:42pm.

Are you going to always wish you had an F style? At this stage of your playing development, which of these two isn't going to make a whole lot of difference as long as you are willing to get someone competent to look at it to ensure a good setup. You can do an evaluation using Rob Meldrum's guide.

I'd get the one that would make me want to play the most. Only you can decide.

I play my much cheaper MK a bunch because it is an F, I'm invested in it because of all the work I've done on it, and because I leave it out because I'm not concerned about damage so much. There are different motivating factors in play.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

What would I do? I am not really the person to ask. I have had so many mandolins through my hands. I rarely have under 100 around me at anytime. This completely takes away one of the most important factors which is emotion.

For most players, emotion is the is the biggest factor in overall satisfaction with an instrument. If someone doesn't like the way an instrument looks, pretty soon, they will begin to find other things wrong with it. Vise versa, if someone loves the way a mandolin looks, they will overlook and make excuses for other shortcomings. It would be naive to think this is not the case. We sellers see this again and again. If you read between the lines, you will see it here on the forum as well. Some players are immune to this, but they are not in the majority.

While I don't personally do this with musical instruments, I suffer from the same problem with cars, motorcycles and a host of other things where looks style come into play.

Having had numerous examples of both of these exact instruments, I know for a fact, that the KM-252 would be the better sounding mandolin (considering average examples). Having the experience in the business, I also know for a fact, that the KM-675 is worth more money when resold. For this reason, I would personally buy the KM-675 with the intent that I would sell it at some point in time, or at least have the option.

If I were performing, I see the benefit of the 675. It looks better. If I were performing in a situation where tone was more important than looks, the 252 would be the choice. YouTube videos, 675 (again looks)... Recording an album, 252.

This is not factoring in Setup. Odds are the KM-252 needs little to no setup work. Frets can move, it may or may not need a few minor tweaks, but the underlying work should still be good. KM-675, we are not sure.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Thank you for all the help. I went with the KM252 largely based upon your advice and words. I think that I will fall in love with it more knowing that I will not have a voice of doubt in my head regarding the quality or the set up of the instrument. And heck, if I want an F style one I can always get that sometime down the line when I have put in my hours on the instrument.

Thanks again very much. I can't wait to start playing it!

And heck, if I want an F style one I can always get that sometime down the line when I have put in my hours on the instrument.
    That may occur sooner than you think...lol, it did for me.

I have a km150 and the km250. Both are good mandolins in my opinion.

Nothing at all wrong with a F style but the cost.I own four A styles because I can get a better sounding mandolin while tying up less money. If I ever want a mandolin to look at I will get an F, but for now I want the sound. Yes there are great sounding F's but they cost so much more.

one thing I must say about Robert is if a mandolin does not meet his standards he will not sell it , he will send it back. I bought my Kentucky 805 from him & I love it.

Back when....

I was eagerly seeking a really fine mandolin after my first several years playing a very nice 'teens Gibson A.

At that time I didn't much care for the F style. I thought it was gaudy looking and I just loved the simple lines of the A model.

After two years of frequent trips around the SF Bay area (very few mandolins around at that time) I found Carmel Music and Gilchrist Mandolins. I ordered an A3 and got it in Jan. of 1993 for $2000.00, case extra. I stopped thinking about other mandolins and just played the heck out of that one because it was perfect in tone and action.

After more than 15 years I had come around to liking the F style and purchased an amazing Weber Fern that is heavenly and enough different from the Gilchrist to be distinct....And then there is the Gibson F4 Hybrid which also is distinctive with its own sound.

What I'm saying is you will grow, acquire more mandolins and have a great time in the process. I think you did the right thing going for the better sound. Sound and playability are the most motivating to a player. I can't see which mandolin I have when I'm playing it, only how it feels and sounds.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

18. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

I just wanted to say once more, thanks to everybody in this thread. My KM-252 is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday and I couldn't be more excited.

I have been reading through Greg Horne's mandolin book, familiarizing myself with the instrument since it's been a while. I'm hoping (and thinking) that the last year of intensive violin lessons will come in very handy for this new instrument

I'll post a picture when it arrives!

20. The following members say thank you to MoreThanQuinn for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Go with, "A" then save for a better version of, "B" keeping forever the 252.

Just one thought. . .

f-d

(oops, great decision!)
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I can only give you an opinion based on my experience. I own a KM-272 that I have modified in a few small ways. I have compared its playability to some much more expensive instruments costing many thousands. I see no difference. As to voice, I have not yet found a mandolin at any price with a voice I like more than the KM-272. The Kentucky Artist series is fantastic!

Change the tailpiece with a good, hefty Allen or James tailpiece. In my experience, it'll really bring out the upper strings. Since changing mine, my A and E strings are so clear and they ring like bells.

I'm quite fond of my Kentucky KM-272 as well. I was looking for an oval hole mandolin with an A5 style neck. There are not that many out there that one could try. In similar price range, the only other I could try was the Breedlove Crossover OO. I liked the Breedlove alright, but like the Kentucky far better. I played a used Weber Absaroka oval that was beautiful, but I liked the feel and voice of the Kentucky better as well. And the Weber was 8x the price. I played a local builder's, ML Atkinson, that had a great voice, but the neck was just huge in my hands. The one mandolin that I played that I found surpassed the Kentucky was a used Collings MT2O. Also more than 10x the price.
    I liked the voice of the Eastman MD504 quite a bit, but wasn't interested in in the A4 style neck. Also 2x the price of the Kentucky. I think that Kentucky continues to improve on their well earned reputation of a great budget mandolin. The current KM 250/270 series is quite a nice mandolin at any price, and the best value in mandolins right now.

PS- I was expecting to have to replace the "economy" tuners on the Kentucky, but to my surprise, they work quite well. No binding, no slipping

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    PS- I was expecting to have to replace the "economy" tuners on the Kentucky, but to my surprise, they work quite well. No binding, no slipping
    On my KM-272 they used a new tuner that's not even listed on the Gotoh website. They are definitely Gotohs but I think the higher ends. I find mine work beautifully. Very smooth and easy. Of course, coming from the fiddle with simple friction tuners, having any kind of mechanical tuner makes me feel spoiled lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Seruntine View Post
    On my KM-272 they used a new tuner that's not even listed on the Gotoh website. They are definitely Gotohs but I think the higher ends. I find mine work beautifully. Very smooth and easy. Of course, coming from the fiddle with simple friction tuners, having any kind of mechanical tuner makes me feel spoiled lol
    They do look a lot like the Gotoh M120 but with a slightly different plate

Name:	_6_2_132.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	163867

Name:	M120-image-1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	163868
    They appear to be the same as on the KM250 which Saga lists as "Gotoh™ 4-on-a-plate / White ABS Buttons"

This is a great thread for a beginner like myself. There is a Kentucky FM-675S, made in China, in my local area going for $540. No record of its age. I recently picked up a Recording King RAM-3-BK at a local pawn shop for $40. The Recording King was missing the string cover plate ($6), strings (I had on hand - sunk cost) and it needed an endpin which turned one on my wood lathe. The Recording King itself has absolutely no blemishes on and I find it as a sound instrument. I was wondering if the Kentucky FM-675S would be a good upgrade from the Recording King RAM-3-BK.

Name:	Kentucky KM-675.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	208435 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentuck KM-675S.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	208436