Thread: Eighth of January

Blog Entries

Default Eighth of January

Almost forgot to play it today! Fortunately it was "almost"
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

2. The following members say thank you to jasona for this post:

Default Re: Eighth of January

There was an article on Bluegrass Today referencing Ricky Skaggs and Keith Whitley recording that song on the 8th of January 1971.

I played it last week does that count. Don't for get to play the 28th of January when it comes around.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I thought about that yesterday, but had one of those days where I didn't get home until about 10:30. At that hour, dinner was calling my name more than mandolin was. I played it Sunday---does that count?

I play it on my birthday in June, because the day I was born Johnny Horton's version was the number one song on the charts.

I remembered but it’s a tune that I just can’t seem to jive with. It’s not difficult for me and lately I’ve been practicing a lot of improvising and this is a tune that has the long stretch of D in the B part so I practice making something in D sound melodic. Funny how some tunes just won’t behave...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Last week I picked up The Book of the Dawg 'Dawg Roots' . So last night while parked in Ozark Arkansas I started picking 8th of January. David described the tempo as "sprightly ". I strongly suspect that his idea of sprightly is a tad quicker than mine.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

Every Tuesday a few friends and myself play for a musician friend of ours who was paralyzed in a car accident a few years ago. We played both today.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

jasona 

Quote Originally Posted by Trav'linmando View Post
    Last week I picked up The Book of the Dawg 'Dawg Roots' . So last night while parked in Ozark Arkansas I started picking 8th of January. David described the tempo as "sprightly ". I strongly suspect that his idea of sprightly is a tad quicker than mine.
    Hey man, you were in my neck of the woods, not Ozark, but Arkansas. Hope all is well. I'm getting my Pete ready to sell. Mrs. Torpedo' said that I was not going back out on the road so all my pickin' will be between our regular house and our river house. I'm a lucky guy.

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    Hey man, you were in my neck of the woods, not Ozark, but Arkansas. Hope all is well. I'm getting my Pete ready to sell. Mrs. Torpedo' said that I was not going back out on the road so all my pickin' will be between our regular house and our river house. I'm a lucky guy.
    Mrs. Torpedo has the right idea. Picking inside a Pete is not the greatest idea acoustically. Plus, your new KM 1500 will try to jump around causing nicks and dings. (Don't ask how I know) I suppose that your river house will work pretty well.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8