Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trinity College Octave vs Eastman 305 Octave

Default Trinity College Octave vs Eastman 305 Octave

I know, the answers to this question are subjective, but I would have to drive 15+ hours to see even one of these mandos in person and I don't have the luxury of a vacation. So, I come to y'all who collectively have vast amounts of information and experience!

The money I have to spend is pretty firmly at 1k. I cannot go a dime over. I am looking for a mandolin with good playability and excellent tone. I am willing to sacrifice some projection if the tone is sweet. With those fairly limited parameters in mind, which of the two do y'all think will serve me best?

Thank you for your time and expertise!

Formerly Know As B-MAN Bret Roberts's Avatar
    Back in Minnesota after 27 years in Europe

Default Re: Trinity College Octave vs Eastman 305 Octave

Hate to add another option, but have you taken a look at the APC brand.
    I got the M305 cedar top and case, setup and inspected with shipping to the states for just under 500 US.
    Kieran is a member here and, as far as I can tell, as a impeccable reputation in his dealing.
    http://www.moloneymusic.com/Products...BouzoukiFamily

I've never played an Eastman octave, but my wife owned a TC octave a few years ago. The tone was great, and it was well-made, etc, but it was pretty quiet. Playing it in any other setting than solo was pretty much out of the question.

I have the TC octave. Decent instrument, I dont play it very much, mostly because when I’m playing in a combo theres always a guitar and they have pretty much the same timbre.

But I would have to disagree with Caleb: this sucker is loud. I took it to a few Cape Breton sessions, the leader of one, a friend who likes my mandolin playing, kinda snapped at me “I cant hear a damn thing over that!” and banished me to the far side of the circle (where the guitarists are).

Haven't played either, just chiming in that the Eastman is carved/F holed, which will give you a more focused tone and projection, whereas the oval hole instrument will probably sound a bit louder in your lap, with perhaps a bit more sustain. Gross generalizations, to be sure.

I have a Weber f hole mandocello presently and previously owned a Hyalite octave, and found this generalization to hold true with those instruments. Neither is better or worse, but definitely different...
    Chuck

I think that Trinity College are made in in the same factory as Ashbury but sold with a different badge? If not then p,eas eignore the following....

I recently did a side by side (or as close as possible, the 2 stores were less than 100 yards apart) of Ashbury and Eastman mandolins, but not octaves. Can’t speak for volume, but the Ashbury had a warmer tone whereas the Eastman was more “bluegrassy” with perhaps more emphasis on the treble. Both nice sounds, just different. The Eastman has a radius fingerboard, the Ashbury flat and at the same price point the Eastman “felt” better finished. I would have been happy with either except I found something else that I liked better than either of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    I have the TC octave. Decent instrument, I dont play it very much, mostly because when I’m playing in a combo theres always a guitar and they have pretty much the same timbre.

But I would have to disagree with Caleb: this sucker is loud. I took it to a few Cape Breton sessions, the leader of one, a friend who likes my mandolin playing, kinda snapped at me “I cant hear a damn thing over that!” and banished me to the far side of the circle (where the guitarists are).
    I don't doubt it, different instruments varying, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Haven't played either, just chiming in that the Eastman is carved/F holed, which will give you a more focused tone and projection, whereas the oval hole instrument will probably sound a bit louder in your lap, with perhaps a bit more sustain. Gross generalizations, to be sure.
    I bought the Eastman model but found it to be to quiet and thin sounding compared to my oval hole Petersen, so I returned it. I never owned a Trinity but have played a few. My preference would be the Trinity at this price point. Or you may get lucky and find a better used OM for around $1k. That's what I paid for my used Petersen.

Trinity College octaves are very decent instruments but they have one glaring flaw. The bridge is not compensated correctly. It is compensated as if it were a regular mandolin with two wound courses and two solid courses, when it should be compensated for three wound courses and one solid course. I know for a fact that this has been pointed out to them, and yet they have stubbornly refused to correct it. Some people tilt the bridge and this helps somewhat but it still isn’t right.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Trinity College octaves are very decent instruments but they have one glaring flaw. The bridge is not compensated correctly. It is compensated as if it were a regular mandolin with two wound courses and two solid courses, when it should be compensated for three wound courses and one solid course. I know for a fact that this has been pointed out to them, and yet they have stubbornly refused to correct it. Some people tilt the bridge and this helps somewhat but it still isn’t right.
    Is there a way to alter the bridge or are octave bridges readily available for replacement?

A shame the old Garrison OM's are no longer made. Light as a feather and great voices. I love mine. They look similar to the TC OM but are probably very different under the hood, given the Garrison has a carbon fiber frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Roberts View Post
    Hate to add another option, but have you taken a look at the APC brand.
    I got the M305 cedar top and case, setup and inspected with shipping to the states for just under 500 US.
    Kieran is a member here and, as far as I can tell, as a impeccable reputation in his dealing.
    http://www.moloneymusic.com/Products...BouzoukiFamily
    Would anyone mind sharing their experiences with the APC M305 and the shipping process?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F012774-D238-4B27-B9F6-D65E48444AE3.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	558.8 KB 
ID:	164185
    Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    Is there a way to alter the bridge or are octave bridges readily available for replacement?
    This is what they did at my local shop when I had it set up (I bought it on amazon and it did not even have a factory set up; bridge was in a little bag).

I have watched TC octaves and bouzoukis drop in price drastically on amazon.ca. They are around 1100 Canadian in stores, but about once a year the amazon stock clearing algorithm seems to start dropping the price. I got mine for under 700 CDN, and last year I watched a TC bouzouki go from 1200 down to 500 over a two week period. Wish I had pulled the trigger!

EDIT: yep, just checked amazon.ca, and while the octave the full price, the bouzouki is marked down significantly, right now down below 700 CDN
    https://www.amazon.ca/Trinity-Colleg...words=Bouzouki

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F012774-D238-4B27-B9F6-D65E48444AE3.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	558.8 KB 
ID:	164185

This is what they did at my local shop when I had it set up (I bought it on amazon and it did not even have a factory set up; bridge was in a little bag).

I have watched TC octaves and bouzoukis drop in price drastically on amazon.ca. They are around 1100 Canadian in stores, but about once a year the amazon stock clearing algorithm seems to start dropping the price. I got mine for under 700 CDN, and last year I watched a TC bouzouki go from 1200 down to 500 over a two week period. Wish I had pulled the trigger!

EDIT: yep, just checked amazon.ca, and while the octave the full price, the bouzouki is marked down significantly, right now down below 700 CDN
    https://www.amazon.ca/Trinity-Colleg...words=Bouzouki
    I am in the US. There also isn't a luthier even close to me. Closest one is over 9 hours away. If I purchase a TC I was gonna hit up a mando cafe sponsor like TMS or Elderly.

Haven't owned or played either but if you plan on it being an integral part of your music life then get the best one you can, maybe even waiting until you've saved up more dough. If you just want one to have and play occasionally then either is probably fine for that. There was a recent thread posted by a member who bought one and gave a nice review with sound clips and such.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Haven't owned or played either but if you plan on it being an integral part of your music life then get the best one you can, maybe even waiting until you've saved up more dough. If you just want one to have and play occasionally then either is probably fine for that. There was a recent thread posted by a member who bought one and gave a nice review with sound clips and such.
    Ooohh. I have been searching the forums but haven't come across that post yet. Hope I find it, that'd be great!

I am in the US. There also isn't a luthier even close to me. Closest one is over 9 hours away. If I purchase a TC I was gonna hit up a mando cafe sponsor like TMS or Elderly.
    amazon.ca will ship to the US, but yes, if you have can’t get it set up, it does not help much to save a few hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    I bought the Eastman model but found it to be to quiet and thin sounding compared to my oval hole Petersen, so I returned it. I never owned a Trinity but have played a few. My preference would be the Trinity at this price point. Or you may get lucky and find a better used OM for around $1k. That's what I paid for my used Petersen.
    I played an Eastman octave --- I don't remember the model, though --- at Sylvan in Santa Cruz last weekend last weekend and had a similar reaction. I haven't played a Trinity OM in quite a while, but I thought that the Eastman's tone was fuller than what I remembered from the Trinity.

However, it doesn't come close to my 2006 Petersen. Since Bill Petersen retired a few years ago, what's out there is what's going to be out there. When they do show up on the Cafe Classified, they tend to be priced in the $900-1,200 range, depending on which level model they are. If you're willing to wait a few months, then you can regularly scout the classified for one. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Eastman. At its price point, it's a good solid OM.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Yes, definitely buy from someone who will set it up and fix the compensation if you go TC (or any of them, for that matter).
    Chuck

Before buying any of the above I would look hard for a used Petersen. They are out there for around 1k and are good instruments.
    ** I see Petersen has already been recommended. I second the recommendation**
    Last edited by Chuck Leyda; Jan-20-2018 at 6:09pm. Reason: Redundant

Ooohh. I have been searching the forums but haven't come across that post yet. Hope I find it, that'd be great!
    Hmmm, well I just looked too and now I can't find it...it seems to me there was one posted within the last 6-8 months that had a video and a nice little review...I either made it up or it's gone... Of course this afternoon I was talking to a friend on the cellphone - which was in my hand - and I was looking for my phone...its happening...:sigh:...

In any case, fatt-dad did a review of the Eastman OM...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...e-month-review
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

And there’s this review of an APC https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...iew-BUDGET-OMs

Formerly Know As B-MAN Bret Roberts's Avatar
    Back in Minnesota after 27 years in Europe

Would anyone mind sharing their experiences with the APC M305 and the shipping process?
    Simply put, it was as easy as ordering from anywhere in the states. Gave Kieran a call at his shop(watch the time difference) and told him what I was looking for and between us set the deal. He replaced the strings and did a complete set up (even added strap buttons on his dime). Had my credit card pre approved and it was a done deal. Shipping took about a week. arrived in perfect condition and was all he said it would be.

Sounds great and play it every day.

24. The following members say thank you to Bret Roberts for this post:

The more I play it, the more I like my APC M305. It has a lush, sweet tone that's remarkable for an instrument of this price. Would I rather have Brian Dean make me an octave? Of course. But for less than $500 shipped with a case, it rocks. I would buy it over the Trinity College. I have no thoughts on the Eastman, which is going to be a very different beast.

My experience with Kieran was similar to Bret's. It was a smooth transaction and the instrument arrived set up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    The more I play it, the more I like my APC M305. It has a lush, sweet tone that's remarkable for an instrument of this price. Would I rather have Brian Dean make me an octave? Of course. But for less than $500 shipped with a case, it rocks. I would buy it over the Trinity College. I have no thoughts on the Eastman, which is going to be a very different beast.

My experience with Kieran was similar to Bret's. It was a smooth transaction and the instrument arrived set up nicely.
    Do you have the spruce or cedar top?
    Was the case a hardcase?