Thread: E-Mando Luthier?

Default E-Mando Luthier?

Hey Café Guys (Gals),

I have an unfinished e-mando for which I have all of the parts (neck, electronics, etc) that needs to have the neck pocket routed as well as the routing for the electronics in the back.

I've been procrastinating for months but have to finally admit that it is beyond my skill level. I would like to find a luthier to ship the lot (slab + parts) off to and let them use their expertise. Can you guys recommend one?

Thanks

Default Re: E-Mando Luthier?

Most luthiers could easily do this job, but a drill press and a chisel would also work. Removing most of the wood with a drill press set to depth and finishing with a chisel for a one time job would take longer, but work totally fine.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Find a good woodworking shop, like someone who makes furniture they could do all the routing for you. If you have a trade school or even a high school with a wood working program they could do it. Heck, they might even be able to do the finish work.

For the cost of having someone else do this, You could buy a decent router and practice on scrap. But I respect that being new to using a router and using templates can be very intimidating. Consider offering someone at a local mill cash for lessons.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I agree buy a small router and practice on some cheap wood , you'll know when your ready to do the real body , once you can put the neck in the practice piece, it's alot easier than it sounds
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6