Thread: Help Me With A Decision

I have seen some great prices on some of the Breedloves. I have a Rigel A+ Deluxe, so how would the Breedlove compare. Does anyone own both?
    I don't really "need" another mando, but this could keep me from buying a banjo or another geetar!
    Thanks,
    Fred

I can only tell you that if I had one of each, I would be reaching for the Rigel a lot more than the Breedlove. I think if you have a Rigel with f holes, the only reason to buy the Breedlove would be if it is an oval. The oval might give you some nice variety. The Quartz is a nice instrument, but the A+ is, well, nicer.

I was gonna keep out of this one, because it's sort of a "which tastes better, green apples or red apples?" kind of discussion. But after reading Eric's response above, I feel the need to offer a different perspective. I do, in fact, own a Rigel A+ Deluxe and a Breedlove Quartz KF (and a whole bunch of other mandolins, mostly costing more). The Breedlove happens to be the mandolin I go to most often these days. Why? Well, part of it just happens to be that I like green apples better than red apples. Part of it is that the Breedlove's slightly wider and radiused fingerboard just fits my hand perfectly. And part of it is that the Breedlove has a somewhat sweeter tone, which really suits me for the mostly classical and jazz stuff I'm playing these days.

I really like my A+ Deluxe, too-- it has a fuller and more aggressive tone, and it also has a really comfortable neck (in fact, if you like the feel of a Rigel, you'll probably like a Breedlove, and vice-versa). The A+ is a bit more elaborate in fit and finish, but also costs a few dollars more.

So my take is: both good mandolins, both attractively priced, both somewhat non-traditional in design, both with super-comfortable necks. They are different as far as tone goes, but I'd have a tough time saying one is "better" than the other. At the end of the day, there are only three criteria that really matter:

1. I like the way it sounds
    2. I like the way it plays
    3. I can live with the price

Rich, you're absolutely right about the green apples, red apples. It is completely subjective and personal, of course, but that's the only weay to answer such a question. In keeping with our different view of this, once I got used to the Rigel neck, I found the Breedlove a bit awkward!

Thanks guys. That's some wonderful advice. I have a Weber Hyalite Custom oval hole that I absolutely love. It has the mahog sound that I can use for dinking around with some older stuff. The Rigel is, as you said, aggressive and all business. Orignally, the Weber was to be my backup and travel mando. But, this isn't happening and I treat them both like mint cars--the Weber has really opened up nicely, to say the least. The Rigel is a work of art. So, if I got a Breedlove I would be tempted to use it as the "go to" mando. I do dig the radius fretboards and almost bought two different Tacomas mainly because of the fretboards!
    I don't know if I need three mandolins or not. Every time I think I am getting comfortable with my mandolin playing, something happens and I get discouraged. Then, I reach for my guitar and remind myself how little I really know!
    But, at least the birds outside of my window still sing when I play!
    Thanks again,
    Fred

Richard J.

To me, the neck is a big deal. #I don't have long fingers to wrap around easily and the Breedlove has a wide neck (1 3/16" std) that would require a radius for me to play at all. Interestingly, I had a Breedlove dealer I have bought their guitars from inquire as to having a quartz made with a thinner, v-style #neck and they won't do that, even on their higher end models like the Alpine. #And the Rigels seem to have a richer tone. I am happy with Kim Breedlove's guitars.

"The older I get, the better I was!"

Fred, of COURSE you need three mandos! Hey, the one Weber Hyalite D hole mando I played absolutely blew me away. I'm envious.

Need is not part of the equation. If you want it, can afford it, are getting it honestly, and aren't starving your family to do so, go for it.
    I really like the Breedloves and Rigels, also. They're a little different approach which is nice, even though I like traditional mandolins, too.

Thanks guys! Yeah, Eric I scored this Weber from Musicians Friend with Weber's help. They told me that there was a batch of special finish Hyalites at MF and I tried one out. The mahogany really growls for the old time plucking. It's an amazing design as well.
    I just was checking with some of you who are in the know. I did'nt want to get another mando that would be a "ditto" of one of the two I already have.
    Peace,
    Fred