Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

This thread already has my MAS juices running to think about my second mandolin...may not make it to then end of the daily reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There was a podcast interview of Maegen Wells on Fretboard Journal.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...-maegen-wells/

Very cool. I would love to hear one of her guitars and one of her mandolins.
    There is a sound clip of her koa archtop Guitar. Surprisingly it sounds almost like a flattop. Maybe it is the relatively open f-holes?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I went to check out Northfield's new cases and their website is down.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Best thread ever!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

5. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

jasona 

Blog Entries

Hanging out near the Collings booth and snapped this photo.

L-R Steve McCreary who is the General Manager of all things Collings Guitars. Lilly Werbin who I'd never met, Stan's daughter. She's a delightful lady. Imagine the wit and wisdom of Stan Werbin. That describes her to a T. And Stan Werbin, founder of Eldelry Instruments himself who I've not had a chance to see in person for a few years.

Name:  stanstevelilly.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  105.2 KB

Other folks I had a chance to meet in person for the first time but no pictures: Cathy Pelosi and Walter Ellis both of Ellis, Pava, Precision Pearl. Joe Caruso, owner of The Music Emporium in Boston and his crew. Real interesting conversation between Cathy and Joe of TME that went on for a half hour about mandolin sales I got to listen in on mostly. If you've been watching, Music Emporium is having trouble keeping fine instruments in stock very long. Stuff is flying out of there about as fast as they can get it for some models. That's an amazing store and crew.

Good time spent at Weber, Breedlove, Bedell Guitars meeting with R.A. who is their marketing guy, someone I really like working with. Have a few pictures I'll eventually get up. Some really good things happening at Weber like dovetail joints going starting to go into some of the high end mandolins.

Three companies interested in doing giveaways, promotions on the Cafe this year that got worked out at the show so look for a spectacular A model from Collings, possibly as early as late February, an A or F mandolin from Weber (they're checking production) and some great sound products from Schertler.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The new Masters of Mandolin was on display at Hal Leonard. Once I get home I'm going to request a couple of copies for review and maybe hand them out to some folks interested here. Elderly is still showing a Jan. 31 in stock date.

Masters of Mandolin

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Hi everyone. Greetings from LA. Still recovering from the most awesome taco night possible with Scott T! Thanks for all the inquiry and excitement surrounding our new Recurve Case. I’ll try to answer some of the questions here.

First - our website is down for another hour. Call us if you need something right away. 877-367-7304. It’ll be back up soon.

Case Price: it’ll sell for around $275 (street price) for the Grey and $295 (street price) for the green and natural. Lots more pictures and such going into a brand new website we’ll be launching in the next 2 weeks.

Cases will be available starting around March 1st. We’ll keep everyone updated.

Exterior is water resistant - natural one is what I would call water proof because of the final coating. Others have a textile that is very water resistant but they’re not sprayed with any wp chemicals, this could be easily done but we opted not to.

Fits most mandos with a Tone Gard on. Stickers work better on natural version. Very light weight and so nice to carry on trips. Not meant to be a flight Case or compete in strength against a Calton or Hoffee. It’s meant to be an alternative to disposable zipped up foam cases.

We’ll show a lot more very soon.
    All the best everyone - Adrian
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-30-2018 at 4:32pm. Reason: edit to pricing quote at request of OP

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

Oops! Never mind. I just saw the last post.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

New favorite case sticker picked up at the show.

Name:  ellis.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  86.8 KB

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

WANT! I made the switch in August, been smiling and MAS-free every day since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post

Headstock on Tom Ellis' person Ellis Mandolin complete with the black Handel Tuners they are making. Even more remarkable in person and this entire instrument was a true work of art. It resides in an all black custom Calton Case built to Toms specs.

Name:  ellisheadstock.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  129.3 KB

This mandolin is one of the finest I have ever laid hands on. Truly remarkable in every sense of the word.

Blog Entries

Couple of instrument photos from Collings, arguably one of the most difficult booths in the acoustic string market to get into because it's busting with visitors. Took these photos off their NAMM email blasts for the show. I know you all prefer bad cell phone camera photos I take with questionable lighting but these will have to do. As usual, superb work from our friends in Austin.

Their description: This MT2 features a torrefied Adirondack spruce top and birdseye maple back and sides. The torrefication process both lightens and stiffens the structure of the wood, providing new options for tonality and response. Torrefication also darkens the appearance of both the Spruce and Maple, adding color, depth and a vintage style appearance to the sunburst on this striking instrument.

Name:  collings.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  105.5 KB

Probably the finest mandolin they brought, their description: finished in an exquisite Cremona sunburst, this MF5 is among the first to feature our new Flowerpot Inlay and a custom tortoise pickguard for a new yet classic aesthetic. Our Flowerpot Inlay has been refined in both proportion and detail to harmonize with the graceful appointments of this model and to evoke this traditional inlay theme in our own style.

Probably a lot of people wondering about Collings post Bill Collings' passing. This is certainly not meant to be an official statement but everything we hear from people close to the company and internal is that they haven't lost a step and business is proceeding without a hitch. One change, Bill had a small staff on payroll refurbishing vintage cars--one of his passionate hobbies-- and that is no longer which I think the general consensus is it's a positive move and one that allows a stringed instrument company to really focus on what they do and frees up a lot of space and payroll.

Name:  collings.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  57.5 KB

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The other favorite new Eastman was the MD915 with tortoise binding. This is a striking look for a blond mandolin and works nicely in our opinion.

Neck Material:Maple
    Fingerboard:Ebony
    Fingerboard Radius:12"
    Nut:Bone 1 3/32"
    Fretwire:23 Jescar FW37053
    Scale Length:13 7/8"
    Body Style:F-Style w/ F-Holes
    Body Dimensions:26 11/16" x 10" x 1 7/8"
    Body Top:Solid Adirondack Spruce
    Body Back/Sides:Solid Highly Flamed Maple
    Truss Rod:Single Acting
    Binding:Top, Back, Fingerboard, and Headstock
    Binding Material:Maple
    Logo:Pearl Headstock Flower Pot
    Inlay:Pearl Dots
    Rosette:None
    Side Dot Color:Black
    Body Finish:Violin Varnish
    Neck/Headstock Finish:Violin Varnish
    Harware Color:Chrome
    Pickguard:None
    Tailpiece:Eastman Cast Aluminum Tailpiece
    Bridge:Adjustable Compensated Ebony Bridge
    String Spacing:1 5/8"
    Nut Height:.018"
    Pickups:Optional K&K Mandolin Twin ($200)
    Tuners:Gotoh MF40R-MP-NI
    Strap Peg:Ebony
    Strings:D'adarrio J74
    Action Height:0.060"/0.050"
    Case:Hardshell Case

Name:  eastman.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  583.3 KB

20. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

Some of you may remember this lady from posts of NAMM from 2011 i believe. She said she'd not be back since so surprised to see her. I look for her every year. I know some of you are going to want to poke fun at her but she's a very personable lady and obviously likes the attention as there was a crowd there to photograph her. All part of the fun and quite frankly she scares me far, far less than guys my age in black spandex and goth makeup with balding heads and butt cracks showing in the back. Anyone laughing at her should remind themselves we're all mandolin players so we all might be considered a bit odd, and I'm just fine with that. I think she's cool. Hope to see her in 2019.

Name:  hair.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  169.0 KB

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Awesome 'do. Is she a mandolin player?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

One of the Weber octaves at the show. Enjoyed meeting up with R.A. who is the main sales and marketing and general all-purpose guy there. Very excited that they're starting to use dovetail joints in their mandolins. As stated earlier we're looking to do a giveaway with them sometime in March or April and it should be a fantastic instrument. Lots of exciting things happening in the shop. Stay tuned.

Name:  weber.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  93.2 KB

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Here's a shot of Tom Ellis' personal Ellis mandolin inside of the Calton Case, all black interior and exterior, built specifically for this instrument. You'll notice a lot of extra space around the shoulders of the instrument. This is Tom's preference for more space to store items in this area. As someone else commented, this is a mandolin that's off the scale as a build with a world class sound to match. And those black Handel tuners are even more stunning in person.

Name:  ellis.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  136.2 KB

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Couple more shots of the mandolin at the show from Maegen Wells. It was the folks from Ellis that grabbed me and said "you need to see her work." Impressive indeed, and a long career ahead of her. Believe she said her instruments are sometimes sold through Tall Toad Music of Petaluma, Calif.

Better pix of this on her web site here.

Maegen Wells mandolin

Maegen Wells mandolin

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Hi,

These look really great! If possible, I'd love to know if they can hold a lefty F-style.

Thanks!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ekalabacos View Post
    Hi,

These look really great! If possible, I'd love to know if they can hold a lefty F-style.

Thanks!!!
    Assume you're talking about either Calton cases or the new Northfield cases. You'd need to get that answered by those companies and you can contact both directly through their web sites. I was just there taking pictures but am no longer at the show and don't know the particulars of cases for lefties.

My Model M would look so nice in one of those new Northfield cases!
    Last edited by lukmanohnz; Jan-26-2018 at 8:11pm.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Blog Entries

And finally to close out Thursday evening, visual proof of what 30 tacos, 2 monster quesadillas (not yet delivered to the table) and 5 cans of soda look like shortly before being devoured by the 3 Bagale brothers of Northfield, myself and my wife Annie. Bags of onions, cilantro, limes, sliced cucumber and sauces. Total bill: $52 and change. Place is a total blast and the food is hands down the best street style tacos I've ever had. We've decided this is an annual absolute must return every year.

Taqueria Los Gueros, 628 W. La Palma Ave., Anaheim. Place was jam packed the entire evening.

Name:  tacos.jpg
Views: 3542
Size:  75.8 KB
    This here is one thing I miss terribly not living in SoCal anymore. Just try and find a decent carne asada in Calgary.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

The other favorite new Eastman was the MD915 with tortoise binding. This is a striking look for a blond mandolin and works nicely in our opinion.

Neck Material:Maple
    Fingerboard:Ebony
    Fingerboard Radius:12"
    Nut:Bone 1 3/32"
    Fretwire:23 Jescar FW37053
    Scale Length:13 7/8"
    Body Style:F-Style w/ F-Holes
    Body Dimensions:26 11/16" x 10" x 1 7/8"
    Body Top:Solid Adirondack Spruce
    Body Back/Sides:Solid Highly Flamed Maple
    Truss Rod:Single Acting
    Binding:Top, Back, Fingerboard, and Headstock
    Binding Material:Maple
    Logo:Pearl Headstock Flower Pot
    Inlay:Pearl Dots
    Rosette:None
    Side Dot Color:Black
    Body Finish:Violin Varnish
    Neck/Headstock Finish:Violin Varnish
    Harware Color:Chrome
    Pickguard:None
    Tailpiece:Eastman Cast Aluminum Tailpiece
    Bridge:Adjustable Compensated Ebony Bridge
    String Spacing:1 5/8"
    Nut Height:.018"
    Pickups:Optional K&K Mandolin Twin ($200)
    Tuners:Gotoh MF40R-MP-NI
    Strap Peg:Ebony
    Strings:D'adarrio J74
    Action Height:0.060"/0.050"
    Case:Hardshell Case

Name:  eastman.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  583.3 KB
    OMG that is GORGEOUS.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Meanwhile, get over and meet the delightful young Maegen Wells, 10 yr. high end archtop guitar builder now crafting gorgeous mandolins with her own twist. All A models with an F planned for the near future. Very talented young lady that apparently started building guitars in high school. More on her later. http://www.maegenwellsguitars.com/

Name:  maegan.jpg
Views: 3187
Size:  90.4 KB
    The Fretboard Journal did a nice podcast with Maegan a while back for those interested in learning more about this luthier:
    https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...-maegen-wells/

Thanks, Scott!
    Russ Jordan