Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Multi-Track Rrecording

Question Cheapest Multi-Track Rrecording

Since playing the Weber Y2K mandolin I had this tune running through me. It is similar to a tune I discovered when playing an Overtone Flute. So had this idea... how to record the Mandolin, Overtone Flute, Didgeridoo, and a rawhide drum into one MP3 file without having technical knowledge & a degree in engineering to perform such a feat.

Had recorded the mandolin version of one of the iterations on a GoPro HERO Session, which has really good microphone input, and the video is good too.

Cost is an issue, unfortunately. So was looking online and found something called a TASCAM.
    When looking at the Amazon reviews, My God! How does one find a decent item without wading through all the garbage?

Problem with Amazon is there are people who get paid to promote items, and others who get paid to bring down the competition, and there is a lot of garbage out there. Seems the garbage comments want people to buy a ZOOM product - which the name makes me wonder, as the Tascam is made by TEAC which has a good reputation.

Yet it seems with each new product advancement there are a lot more bugs/issues too.

Throughout the process of wading through Amazon's garbage, found a few comments relating to the TASCAM DR-07MKII, which is an older version, and the person stated they had theirs for 4 years and still works.

So the simple idea was to record a few sessions into one, which is going to be a learning process. And the Tascam seems like a good idea since it has the hardware, the ability to record where-ever, although is limited to 4 tracks. Anything over 4 tracks starts costing some serious bucks.
    Might be good for recording jam music and church/gospel jams for one's own use or to share with others ... and allow me to listen to where i need to improve and to see whether or not the playing off the beat is working & what it sounds like when it is or is not working.
    So this would be a useful tool.

Is there a more simpler way of recording stuff for one's own prosperity? Is there a better device out there? And no, I do not have an Apple device. Former pastor friend suggested GarageBand and to buy decent microphones, but would need an Apple product which s going to exceed to the value of the idea altogether.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Default Re: Cheapest Multi-Track Rrecording

One thing I have regretted over the years is when I recorded events or music (on cassette) is losing the media. Or not taking the advantage of recording or not having something on me to savor the prosperity or to look back on "those times".

Have had a few smartphones that had horrid microphones to record a didge song or tune that I liked, and started saving those more recently in the mast few year. However I lack the knowledge that Señor Marküsen has to play a one-man band. Least with his setup he can simply record himself. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-JjPr7B0g)
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Blog Entries

What kind of phone do you use? There are good apps for android etc. and you can get fairly inexpensive interface products.

As for Zoom they’re a highly respected & innovative manufacturer who seem to out do the old brands every time in terms of bang for your buck and innovation.
    I use the H4n for my recording unless I need more tracks when I get the Mackie desk out.

In terms of multi layering you’re better off just recording the tracks then dropping them into something like Audacity to do the actual multi tracking on a pc. If you use the initial recording as a guide track & listen to that then you can over dub in sync with that to keep everyting together.

One thing to remember, if you’re going to want good results or something that sounds presentable to others, you’re going to have to put in the time gaining enough knowledge to make it work. It’s a complex subject with many interacting components, and getting good rather than adequate results does take a lot more time than people initially think.

My recommendation to anyone starting would be to buy a simple high quality unit like the H4n or that Tascam and work up from there slowly, by using it a lot and experimenting. Get some good headphones too. Nowadays the kit isn’t the barrier to getting a good recording, it’s all about skills.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

easy peasy - a cheap microphone and a computer running the free audacity recording app.

you can record a track, then play it back whilst recording a new track.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

+2 for Audacity
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

7. The following members say thank you to gspiess for this post:

This looks interesting, iZotope Spire Studio, A New All-in-one Recording Solution, know nothing about it but looks more user friendly than the Dr

I like the idea of using Audacity but isn't there some problem with aligning the tracks. I believe it is called latency. I don't know if there is an actual accurate way to do that.

Here is one person's take on building a recording setup on the cheap from scratch.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I use Audacity for all my recordings. It has a Shift feature to align the different tracks and works well for my simple multi tracks.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustyamps For This Useful Post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I used to have the zoom R16 it is a good one , but , I sold it for a smaller 2 channel recorder for quick easy recording, but plan on replacing it with the TASCAM DP-02 they make it with a CD burner or a SD card
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Hello James,
    I have both a nice AD converter I use with GarageBand, and a Zoom R8 8 track recorder. The latter is nice because it's tactile, and it's super no-frills. It won't break the bank either. I would start with something like it (it's similar to the Tascam), but Beanzy is right in saying you'll want to put some time into grokking how the whole process works. It will pay off in every subsequent project you do.

Blog Entries

I use Audacity, and Cubase, sometimes BandCamp, as a dump for tracks recorded on the Zoom so latency isn’t an issue as the files are already created to the first recording as a reference. That stays on the Zoom in 4 track mode, but doesn’t get recorded over. As all the tracks are recorded against that same one, they all share the same characteristics. Any latency in the Zoom (or any other basic recording device) becomes irrelevant as it is common to all tracks.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

16. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Blog Entries

About two years ago I set up a friend with a Zoom R8 and a couple of reasonably price, but good-performing condenser mics, and although he is a dedicated technophobe, he has produced some really nice recordings on it. In fact, he even used the built in mics on occasions with decent results. It is dead simple to use, an all-in-one solution, and requires no computer at all. Absolutely, yes, you can also go the 'phone app route (plus suitable interface) or you can get into home studio building or anywhere in between. It's only time and money That said, my friend continues to be very content with the Zoom R8!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

There were 4 track Cassette recorders.. well they all were ,
    but typically, stereo 2 tracks 1 way then flip tape cassette over,, and go the other way,

the others were 4 tracks at once, one way.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I like the idea of using Audacity but isn't there some problem with aligning the tracks. I believe it is called latency. I don't know if there is an actual accurate way to do that.
    I use Audacity for all my recordings, along with a Zoom H2n recorder in USB microphone mode. I had problems with latency correction in the old Audacity 1.x versions, but Audacity 2.x works just fine for me without any adjustment. Audacity is free, and easy too use -- much easier than a TASCAM recorder (which I also used to own, and sold). Assuming you have a laptop and headphones, the only cost for multi-track recordings is a USB microphone.

Martin

Is there a trick to that Martin? I am using Audacity 2.1.2 and a Zoom H1n and it has lots of latency problems.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Is there a trick to that Martin? I am using Audacity 2.1.2 and a Zoom H1n and it has lots of latency problems.
    Not sure -- I have been doing this with two different laptops without issues.

I think the critical question may be whether you want to do real-time monitoring of your recorded sound through the headphones. I don't do that -- the sound from the microphone is recorded onto the hard drive but not played back through the headphones. I use headphones only on one ear, playing the backing tracks and/or click track, and leave the other ear uncovered so that I can hear my playing.

I tried recording an electric mandolin by a direct feed from the pickup to the laptop and from there to the headphones but never managed to make this work as the real-time sound was a split second out of sync with the pre-recorded tracks.

Martin

22. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

derbex 

Default Multi-Track Recording Made Easy (and I do mean easy!)

Hi guys!

As a long-time recording guy I thought I'd weigh in on the subject of "all in one" recording setups. Before embarking on my almost thirty year teaching career, I used to do a lot of live sound and recording work. I've bought (and sold) just about every type of "recording studio in a box", and continue to do so. I've used TASCAM portastudios up to their latest 32 track, as well as a few of the ZOOM products.

I recently bought the new ZOOM L-12, which is a mixer, computer interface and recorder - and it's awesome. However, I was intrigued by the Spire Studio when it came out this summer (mentioned in an earlier thread) so I bought one a month or so ago.

For anyone who wants to record themselves, or a group, the Spire Studio is an amazing bit of technology crammed into what resembles a stack of CDs. I enjoy using it so much, I really haven't touched my larger gear since it arrived.

It has a built-in large diaphragm mic, as well as 2 XLR mic inputs with Grace preamps. It can record 8 tracks, and has some really useful effects built-in as well. Zero latency - 2 headphone jacks - 4 hours on battery or can be plugged in.

Your iPhone or iPad acts as the interface (but it can be used without to record tracks) and has a simple but effective visual mixer. You just move the dots with the track numbers up and down and left/right to place them in the mix.

Prior to recording, you push the soundcheck button and the box sets the levels for you as you play. You can also send copies of your mixed song in email sized files or a higher quality version. The best part (for my use) is I can export the individual WAV files from the Spire to my bigger, full fledged gear to continue working on them. I'm amazed every time I use it at how well it just works.

I don't work for the company, just have a love of recording. Of course this isn't going to replace a computer-based setup, or sound like a full blown recording studio - but for 350 bucks, you will be blown away at how good it sounds - and how easy it is to get a great final product. I recommend it highly!

Kurt

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artguy For This Useful Post:

OP:

Save yourself time, money and trouble by buying something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/UR22-MKII-RP-...Recording+Pack

All that you need:
    - A high quality USB audio interface
    - Cubase software, which "integrates" with the interface making setup easier
    - A good mic and mic cable.
    - A decent set of closed-ear phones (which you NEED if you intend to multi-track).

The price is reasonable, too.
    I believe Cubase supports BOTH Windows and Mac (I'm a Mac guy).

Again, all you need is pretty much "in this box".
    You'll probably need to buy a mic stand.

having used really cheap, but decent, computer based freebee recording software, it's world's better buying the gear needed. my current setup is a sterling studio condenser mic into a focusrite scarlett that feeds a pc laptop loaded with multitrackstudio daw software, all for under $300. what a difference.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

I have used Audacity for a lot of things. The latency problem shouldn't be a big issue, there are several how-to videos on YouTube. The basic idea is the make a click track, record it back on to a second track from the speaker or phones, zoom in on the tracks and measure the difference in the clicks on the time scale at the bottom. On the Mac, you go to "preferences:recording" and put in the value. On PC in is edit:preferences:recording. The videos are much clearer, here is one I used: How to correct latency in Audacity.

Have an H4 Zoom that I like everything about, except the multi-track recording. Never did get that to work, but for one shot stereo it's pretty good.

Also have a TASCAM US-122mkII that I got for something else. It was pretty cheap, handles microphones with and without phantom power, and came with a Cubase limited program, which has a lot of mixing functions. I use it with Audacity as well. Nothing spectacular, but then you get what you pay for. To get the latency, I recorded the sound from the click track from the headphones into the microphone I was using, so it was exactly the system I used for recording.

There is a wealth of informative videos on how to do other things in Audacity on YouTube.

Spencer

28. The following members say thank you to Spencer for this post:

derbex 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I went with the Focusrite ScarlettSolo as well, and the Ableton Live Lite DAW that was bundled with it. Something like this unit https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoCnRAQAvD_BwE

Add your own mic(s) and earphones and you have nice starter home studio setup.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

There really is something about having a small dedicated multitrack recorder like the Tascam or Zoom. You would be fine with either one. I have used a Zoom H4n for years and it has pulled off some amazing results for what it is. This thing has produced podcasts, interviews, audio for videos, and even recorded a couple of albums (everything was later mixed in Protools though). I have used it when I had access to much more elaborate (expensive) recording gear. For all around use, I would probably go this route. I would personally buy the Zoom H6.

If my main use was multi-tracking, I would get an audio interface for the computer. Any recent computer has more than enough power to do audio work and a Scarlett interface is cheap and good quality.

Garage band on an iPhone or iPad is great too, just add an interface.

Regardless of what you use to record, it is really going to come down to the mixing. It is important to get a good recording when you are tracking, but it is still really difficult to get a good mix without good EQ and a good monitoring environment. It makes sense to take it over to a computer for this stage. Mixing on a small digital recorder sucks.

A simple way is to track it all on your small digital recorder, and once you have all the tracks down, send it to someone to mix it.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

31. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Reaper is a very popular multitrack recorder, it has an unlimited free trial and costs $60. It can be used as simple as you want and up to pro use (pro tools, logic etc)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Posterboy View Post
    Reaper is a very popular multitrack recorder, it has an unlimited free trial and costs $60. It can be used as simple as you want and up to pro use (pro tools, logic etc)
    It is not actually a 'recorder' - it is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software only... and requires a suitable interface plus mics... plus PC/Mac.

Technically, a 'recorder' does the whole thing. It actually captures the audio in hardware.

Personally, I don't like Reaper very much, though it is certainly powerful. Just something about the GUI and workflow I just can't get on with. I prefer Presonus Studio One... which I use with a Universal Audio Apollo system on Mac, with various outboard in addition (UA 6176's, UA-610 Mk.II's , Audient ASP880 and a nice Warm Audio EQP-WA tube EQ) though this is a bit more than I suspect the OP was thinking about..... sky is the limit once you get into this stuff.. every bit as bad as MAS!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

34. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I usually use Audacity, which is free, and a $50 USB condenser mic I bought 10 years ago. Cheap but very adequate. But the other day I found something even cheaper for getting a basic overdubbed recording. You can record your first instrument on your phone. Samsung and iPhone make really decent field recordings. Save it as an MP3 and email it to yourself. Or transfer it to your computer using a cable. Then play it from your computer through your stereo for good volume and tone, while playing along on the next instrument and recording with the phone. Not great sound, but not bad either.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook