Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cases For Mandolins

Default Re: Cases For Mandolins

Jim, Elderly instruments has Eastman bowlback cases for $160.00 (NFI). I bought one a few years ago for transporting my bowlbacks, they "live" in gig bags at home, but if one gets to go out, it goes in the Eastman.

Blog Entries

I enthusiastically recommend the Reunion Blues Continental cases. The large ukulele case will easily hold a small mandolin, and the mandolin case is great for a larger one.

The cases are very strong. Protects for 90% of what might happen. Very durable, will outlast you. At the same time very light, surprisingly light. Not inappropriately priced IMO.

If what you want is just something to put the instrument in and keep the dust and pets off, I am impressed with the Phitz cases. Very inexpensive, suitable for around the house and other controlled environments. Better than leaving out in a stand, or OMG on the couch. Perhaps not what I would even use in the car on the way to the gig, unless it is riding shotgun, in which case it is fine.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

04Bravo

My Phoenix came with a Hiscox case. Inside is beautifully made, cradles the mando to a "T", lots of space. Outside looks nearly bulletproof, but it's a big rectangular box and probably should have a set of running lights and turn signals.

These cases are pretty pricey, so there are likely more cost effective options that will protect the instrument nearly as well.
    Phoenix Select #654
    Harmony Monterey 417

From above - "...Outside looks nearly bulletproof,.." Not quite !!,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peter Jenner's shatterd Hiscox.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	164619 Good cases nevertheless. I found mine too big & bulky with too much spare room inside & gave it to the owner of this case when he visited me.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I have a jbovier ELS ((solidbody) which I wanted a hard case for. I couldn’t afford the option Jeff suggests. But i found a tenor Ukelele case which cost about 80.00. It’s a lovely tweed. It needs a towel in the bottom but otherwise fits perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    Is there a rule of thumb about case price versus mandolin price? I realize that one wouldn't invest in a Calton case to put a $250 mandolin in. So if you folks end up with a caseless mandolin, how do you determine how much to spend or how nice of a case to buy? I'm not sure my next one is going to have a case. If I buy a KM272 anywhere other than The Mandolin Store, it won't.
    Usually a mandolin comes with a case worthy of the Mandolin price, less money usually equals less case, but not always, so get the best case you can afford and call it good.

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	164626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	550.3 KB 
ID:	164625

An example of some pretty nice cases, the rectangular is an old Ellis case, the F style a Pegasus that's easy to spot in a pile of cases when the Jams over.
    Best/R

It makes sense to get a case with a value commensurate with the value of the instrument. I mean, if I had a $175,000 Loar, I would keep it in a really, really good case (in the vault, behind the 6-foot thick concrete walls with the moat full of alligators in front of it).
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I keep my F5L in a Calton. I couldn’t justify paying what I paid for the mando and not buy a custom case for it. It fits snugly, is a workhorse, and has a shoulder strap that I love.

I keep it in the Calton, even when I’m at home because I have a 2 and 5 year old running around and the case latches are pretty hard to open, even for me. Just staying safe.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milesw For This Useful Post:

Got a Pegasus for my F4; couldn't stand the way it rattled around in the OHSC. Got a Calton measured to order for the L&H; fits like a glove. The case it came in was falling apart. When I got my 1968 Hummingbird, my first good guitar, I paid 300 for the guitar and 150 for a Mark Leaf case. Never regretted the cost, though it took me six more months of payments before I could bring it home.

Cases are only good if you use them. I've made it rule to always re-case instead of resting things on chairs, stands, trash baskets, whatever. Saved my bacon a couple times, making the effort worthwhile.

12. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    Is there a rule of thumb about case price versus mandolin price? I realize that one wouldn't invest in a Calton case to put a $250 mandolin in. So if you folks end up with a caseless mandolin, how do you determine how much to spend or how nice of a case to buy? I'm not sure my next one is going to have a case. If I buy a KM272 anywhere other than The Mandolin Store, it won't.
    I bought a $60 case on Amazon. It turned out to be, in my opinion, very good quality. I had to evacuate during our fires and floods and I ride a motorcycle. I strapped the case on my bike (filled with jewelry, not my mandolin) and the darn thing fell off my bike as I made a turn. It did not break. There was a ceramic container inside that did not break either. Just a little scuff on the outside of the case. I'm confident had I put my mandolin inside nothing would have happened to it. This is the case: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...hardshell-case

My only complaint is that it's a tight squeeze for my mandolin and there's not much room to store other things in there.

From David Hopkins - "... I mean, if I had a $175,000 Loar, I would keep it in a really, really good case..". Mike Marshall does exactly that - he keeps his own Lloyd Loar mandolin in a Travelite case & has done for many years.

A Cafe member posted a few years back re. a similar accident to the one above - his mandolin case came off his motor cycle & hit the deck at a fair rate on knots. His mandolin was completely unharmed,the Travelite case had some dust on it !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From David Hopkins - "... I mean, if I had a $175,000 Loar, I would keep it in a really, really good case..". Mike Marshall does exactly that - he keeps his own Lloyd Loar mandolin in a Travelite case & has done for many years.

Ivan
    The Travelite is an excellent case. It's what I use on the road because of its weight (or lack of it) and protective qualities.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

About 45 years ago I built myself a case for my Martin "C" which had been living in a cloth bag. It was made out of a heavy cardboard box and covered in fabric and polyurethane varnish. The hardware was cheap brass-plated steel. I found some nice fabric to line it with. Sadly, I probably should have been studying for finals, but oh well! Still, it's held up well over the years and I don't have to worry about it getting stolen as much because it is about as ugly as they come!
    SteveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Martin Case 01.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	463.3 KB 
ID:	164659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Martin Case 02.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	164660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Martin Case 03.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	571.4 KB 
ID:	164661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Martin Case 04.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	469.2 KB 
ID:	164662
    Steve

17. The following members say thank you to Steve Weeks for this post:

I picked up a second hand Price Streamline case for my Collings MT-O awhile back, in preparation for a move back to Ireland in the next couple of years. Next on the "to do" list is to save up to find a similar solution (Calton maybe?) for my tenor banjo and tenor guitar.

Name:	L1000008.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	529.1 KB 
ID:	164663
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Jim, Elderly instruments has Eastman bowlback cases for $160.00 (NFI). I bought one a few years ago for transporting my bowlbacks, they "live" in gig bags at home, but if one gets to go out, it goes in the Eastman.
    Ah, yes, thanks, LadysSolo. They even have them in black and silver. Of course I have way too many bowlbacks. I use the Eastman cases and those foam ones for my top instruments. The main problem with the Eastman cases is that they do not have any accessory compartment nor do they have room anywhere for anything but the mandolin.

The foam case I had was ideal. I really don't need any more but they were light, came with multiple straps, had room for all sorts of things inside and cost about $45 with shipping from the eBay seller.

Name:	violinking_case.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	164664

I actually found pictures of similar cases sold by distributors in China on Alibaba and other places. I have a feeling that you have to order them wholesale in quantity.

I also have two of the old Harptone bowlback cases. Those were like little coffins and very sturdy bit also pretty heavy. My best fancy Martin 6 resides in one of those.

Sorry to derail this thread. Back to the business at hand ---->
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Weeks View Post
    About 45 years ago I built myself a case for my Martin "C" which had been living in a cloth bag. It was made out of a heavy cardboard box and covered in fabric and polyurethane varnish. The hardware was cheap brass-plated steel. I found some nice fabric to line it with. Sadly, I probably should have been studying for finals, but oh well! Still, it's held up well over the years and I don't have to worry about it getting stolen as much because it is about as ugly as they come!
    I love your ingenuity and craftsmanship. Actually, it is quite impressive and it has lasted this long and protected your mandolin, too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Weeks View Post
    SteveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Martin Case 01.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	463.3 KB 
ID:	164659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Martin Case 02.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	164660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Martin Case 03.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	571.4 KB 
ID:	164661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Martin Case 04.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	469.2 KB 
ID:	164662
    Wow, you made that? I wish I had your skills.

23. The following members say thank you to sbhikes for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, you made that? I wish I had your skills.
    I wish I'd made the mandolin! :-)
    Steve

After struggling to find the right case for many of the instruments I have acquired over the years, it's always nice when the right case comes easy... Like, when a motivated luthier custom builds one for his instrument.

Name:	Custom Case Overall.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	579.4 KB 
ID:	164771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom Case Label Plate.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	579.3 KB 
ID:	164772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom Case Overhead.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	643.2 KB 
ID:	164773

26. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post: