Thread: Mandolin Upgrades

Default Mandolin Upgrades

I didn't know if this is ok here or should have gone under the Equipment heading. Anyway, what does a James, Allen, etc. tailpiece do for a mandolin other than make string changes easier for the most part? Also, what does a Cumberland Acoustic bridge change on a mandolin and why is an ebony one supposedly better than rosewood? Where do you get these tailpieces?
    I'm probably ordering a ne KM272 today and was wondering if I need to consider upgrading these two items. Thanks

Default Re: Mandolin Upgrades

Some report a bit more sustain with the heavier cast tailpieces, and they're more user friendly. Nice to have, but not a necessity, IMHO. CA bridges are simply better designed and made, typically out of better wood, than that on most entry-ish level mandolins. I'm sure that would make a difference/improvement in volume and tone, assuming it's well fit to the top.

I bought my Eastman 315 on clearance off the rack at a big box store and have considered upgrading the tuners and bridge, but haven't done it yet, as I'm pretty happy with it as is, it's my beater, and I have nicer ones to play if I want. If it were my only mandolin, and if I had the option to get the store to fit it for me, I'd upgrade the bridge, but probably not the TP.
    Chuck

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

From whom are you buying the km272? If the bridge is properly fit, a new CA bridge won't do much.

I put an Allen clone, the AXL one piece tail piece on my KM-272. The improvement in sustain was undeniable.

I also put on an armrest from Hill Country Strings. Taking the pressure of my arm off the sound board did a lot to improve the instrument, as well.

I have a Tone-Gard coming. Everyone seems to agree they are one of the best things you can add to your instrument. It lets the full sound body vibrate.

I'd recommend a tone guard and armrest before a new tailpiece and bridge. I purchased a KM272 from Elderly and the bridge setup was perfect and the tailpiece is good, no buzzing.

IMHO, you won't know untill you try. I've done the gamut with Tele mods over the years, some like Glendale saddles, had an audible effect, bridge plate material, not so much. Nut and saddle material on an acoustic guitar had a great effect on some and not others. You pays your money and take your chances.

My general thought process is there is a mid range price point where some things like a mandolin bridge might be skimped on, but the wood used and carved has some potential. Lessor quality instruments won't show much improvement, quality pieces were built with good materials and care in the first place. I'd not invest as much in parts as the mandolin was worth unless that is just a bunch of fun for you, and then be aware that you WILL think that $75 dollar bridge is an improvement. More important to me is that you make sure what you have is fitted correctly.to use.

I happen to really like Allen tailpieces, but have not gone from a pressed to a cast tailpiece on a mandolin. My Silverangel came with one. Same thought goes for tuners. Even the cheapest do what they are supposed to. The nicer ones feel good.

The biggest single thing for me was a toneguard, and even that isn't necessary if you hold the mandolin away from your body. I guess it comes down to the fun of trying different things, but the one huge improvement for me, by far, was going from my Eastman MD 505 to my Silverangel. That is where most should be striving to put their money. I know coming up with $1500 or so is hard for most of us, but that is what you should do in my opinion.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I'd suggest trying different strings and picks as your first upgrade. These will make a bigger difference and actually give you noticeable results.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'd recommend a tone guard and armrest before a new tailpiece and bridge. I purchased a KM272 from Elderly and the bridge setup was perfect and the tailpiece is good, no buzzing.
    +1 on this.
    Rue d’Auseil

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    From whom are you buying the km272? If the bridge is properly fit, a new CA bridge won't do much.
    Fiddlers Green out of Austin, TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    Fiddlers Green out of Austin, TX.
    They'll do a great job on the setup and the bridge will be done properly. Play it for a while before you make any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    They'll do a great job on the setup and the bridge will be done properly. Play it for a while before you make any changes.
    They had three there, a KM270 and two KM272s. He said the one he was sending was really flamed on the back. Looking forward to getting it.