Thread: Help Identify an old Banjo Ukulele

Post Help Identify an old Banjo Ukulele

Hello,
    I have an old banjo style ukulele that I am trying to find some information on - maker, age and value if there is any. I know absolutely nothing about them so please forgive my description. It has the original case which is pretty beat up. It is a four string instrument and measures 20.75" in length (the neck is 14"). The pot is 7 1/8" in diameter x 2 5/8" deep.The bridge is marked Grover and the strings run thru holes and are knotted on the tail. It appears to be made from several different types of wood and it has a 1/16" shrinkage crack. The head has all four tuning pegs. It seems to be in pretty good condition aside from the shrinkage crack. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukulele 13 copy.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	164590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukulele 12.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	374.5 KB 
ID:	164591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukulele 10 copy.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	164592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukulele 9 copy.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	164593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukulele 6 copy.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	164594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukulele 4 copy.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	164595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukulele 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	164596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukulele 1 copy.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	164597

Default Re: Help Identify an old Banjo Ukulele

Inexpensive and probably sold wholesale by the dozens to stores. Looks pretty decent and would be fun to play but that's about it. It is unlabelled for a reason. You might try ukulele underground. Those guys are probably as versed in minutiae of ukes stuff like we are here with mandolins.

My guess it that they will tell you the same thing tho.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: Help Identify an old Banjo Ukulele

Your Uke/banjo is very similar in some ways to the one i kicked off with 54 years ago,but mine was much more 'utilitarian' = pretty rough !!. It looks very well made in that the woods are nice. ''Grover'' is simply a well known make of bridge for banjos / ukes. I suspect that there's some method of tightening the skin up from the inside,so if the back comes off easily enough,check it out. The shrinkage crack is probably so old as to be perfectly stable now = it's not going to get worse. If you can remove the back ,there may be a maker's name etc. inside. My bottom line is - keep it & learn to play it. A good Uke played well can be pretty awesome in iself despite their apparent simplicity.

Jim's advice may get you the info. you want re.it's make,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.