Thread: Pack to ship?

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Pack to ship?

Hey gang, for the first time today I posted an instrument to sell in the classifieds. I have never shipped a mando before, so what are the best practices?

I have loads of experience packing valuables as I used to ship items in a previous job. (Crating valuable artwork and antiques)... but I mostly just wanted to get mandolin specific best practices.

Thanks in advance.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: Pack to ship?

Loosen strings, wrap secure, sturdy box, insurance, prayer.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B381 For This Useful Post:

JRGsoliver 

I believe they (insurance claims adjusters) like there to be at least 2 inches space between the edge of the case and the box all the way around, but can't remember where I heard that. The two times I've shipped instruments I've put some foam padding at the base of the headstock to try to minimize any risk of shearing injury if it's dropped. Some will remove the end-pin as well, but I've just made sure there was additional padding there, too. Yes to de-tuning slightly (but not enough that the bridge is gonna slip out and rattle around loose all over the top). I tend to go a little heavy with the bubble wrap and paper, but I've picked that up from those that have shipped to me, as well as he foam at the head stock trick.

And, yes, prayer. Lots and lots of prayer.
    Chuck

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I try to picture how the instrument will be "riding" both within its box and in the truck or airplane.

I make sure the instrument does not move within its case. A little movement can result in finish wear or worse.

I like to double-box. That is, a box that fits within another box. The first box fits the case fairly close. I usually put bubble wrap around the case first. Then place that box within the second box with a layer of peanuts all around it. I'd say 2 inches all around is good.

Use plenty of packing materials, bubble wrap, peanuts, etc. They are not cheap, but the protection is worth the expense. Some people prefer to let the UPS Store pack it for them. They have all the materials and guarantee their work. Again, not cheap, but an option that would save you buying two boxes, bubble and peanuts.....

Also, keep in mind that styrofoam peanuts can be compressed quite a bit. So, if you fill your box, take your hand and it will push down several inches, then refill until it doesn't compress. That way the peanuts won't shift during travel and your instrument won't end up on the side of the box rather than being centered.

Most people under tape their packages. I used three or four rolls on one box when I send an instrument. Go to Walmart, but a bunch. Encircle the box countless times in every direction. Brown packing tape is your BEST INSURANCE, IMHO. It essentially turns a cardboard box into a "travel case."

Obviously, make the pack job fit the value of the instrument. You can't spend $200 packing a $50 instrument, but you can spend $200 safely packing a $5K instrument.

Good packing and tape will protect your instrument if the box gets accidently knocked over. Prayer was also mentioned and I will agree and add insurance, as well. Good packing will protect IF ALL GOES WELL. You cannot pack it well enough to prevent a forklift operator from stacking it 20 feet off the ground and dropping it on a cement floor. Or if a 75 pound box falls on it in a warehouse or truck. That's where you need prayer and insurance.

FWIW, I have sold a few instruments to professionals over the years and they always request overnight or at least 2nd Day service. Probably due to their time restraints, but I also like the idea of having the instrument in the hands of the shipper as little time as possible. Again, you pay dearly for these services, but might be worth it for a valuable instrument.

I should add that you can recycle and use tightly crumpled newspaper balls in place of styrofoam peanuts, but it takes forever and your hands will be filthy, but more importantly newspaper weighs a ton and what you save by not buying peanuts is made up for by higher shipping cost due to the added weight of the newspaper.

Also, don't buy your supplies at UPS or a similar store, they overcharge for things like peanuts. Buy them at a box wholesaler, if there is one in your area. UPS charges $10 for a bag of peanuts the size of a large paper grocery bag. At the box store, I can get a 20 cubic foot bag of peanuts for the same $10. If you want to know what a 20 cubic foot bag looks like, picture the interior of your car with all the seats removed and you MIGHT be able to stuff that bag in there! In other words, take your van or truck to the box store......

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Feb-19-2018 at 3:07pm.

7. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

I help out at my local bicycle shop, (in the summer) the packing material volume used
    to get them from factory to seagoing container ship , and thru distribution
    to the local shop, unscratched.. accumulated, is immense , a burden to get rid of..,

So stop by for abundant free packing materials, to your local bicycle shop.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

Thanks all... that’s all very helpful
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Reverb.com has a good video on how to pack an instrument

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

When filling out the address box for that pancake, please remember that fatt-dad is spelled with two t's.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    When filling out the address box for that pancake, please remember that fatt-dad is spelled with two t's.
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Unless the tailpiece cover fits extremely well, if it has one, remove it and wrap it separately. I had a mando badly scratched in shipping by a loose cover.

15. The following members say thank you to JRG for this post: