Thread: Worn finish - pinkie rut. Help!

Default Worn finish - pinkie rut. Help!

What are some good options to keep this from getting worse? I will consider those answers that range from refinishing the spot to less intrusive means such as guard materials.

What has worked for you? I worry that I will wear an actual hole in this thing ere long.

Can't post a pic straight from my computer and I've dumped Photobucket after they wanted money. I'll try again later.
    Rick in Memphis

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Worn finish - pinkie rut. Help!

Your choices are:

1. Install a pickguard. A good touchup job can be done, but it is a difficult repair if the finish is colored, and will not prevent the area from wearing down again.
    2. Less obtrusive-- a small piece of self-adhesive mylar big enough to cover the are that your finger rubs.
    3. Adjust your technique so you're not dragging the finger. Also difficult to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Crenshaw View Post
    What are some good options to keep this from getting worse?
    Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Your choices are:

3. Adjust your technique so you're not dragging the finger. Also difficult to do.
    And this is the correct answer, and another great example of why NOT to plant the 4th finger on mandolin.

I prefer the pickguard/finger rest. I don't plant, but my fingers brush the guard so much they are wearing divots in ebony. Just glad it's not my top. I think planting is constricting, but letting the fingers brush the guard seems to help me be accurate. I can play with a fist, but don't like it as much and play better letting them brush the guard. Some fingers on the right hand don't like to close due to arthritis. I'll keep brushing the guard since it doesn't hurt the mandolin, I have enough dings in from gigging, but nothing as serious as wearing a hole in the mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I would get a Hill country pickguard. Well, ok, I already have a few, I just haven't got around to installing

I wouldn't leave the cling on material on there, it can damage the finish http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum...d.php?t=203281

If it's a nitro finish and no unusual stain/coloring, it maybe refinished fairly unobtrusively, with varnish I'm told that's not really possible.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I prefer the pickguard/finger rest. I don't plant, but my fingers brush the guard so much they are wearing divots in ebony. .
    That justs means you play your mandolin a lot and have been for a while.

8. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

pops1 

I play with my pinky/ring finger mounted too. There are good players who mount their pinky fingers (E.g., Steffey), and good players who let their hand rest on the bridge (E.g., Thile), and then there's Sam Bush who amazingly seems to not mount his hand to anything at all.
    If you're into a fatter sound, the pinky-mounted method works well because your pick is positioned further from the bridge and closer towards the 12th fret. Also, you don't have any dampening from your palm sitting on the bridge. I think if you like that style, and are comfortable with it, you shouldn't try to alter it.
    If you try a pickguard, there are a couple of things to consider. Because the pickguard is floating 3/4 of an inch above where you would normally mount your fingers, you'll still have to adjust your technique at least some. It always takes me a while to get adjusted to a mandolin with a full pickguard because my hand is sort of rotated a few degrees counterclockwise.
    One option is to install a very abbreviated pickguard. Here's a picture of mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3089 2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	866.2 KB 
ID:	165186
    My fingers do not actually sit on the pickguard, but sort of wrap around the side of it. It keeps my hand in the position I'm used to, but creates a mounting point that prevents me from dragging my fingers around too much.
    Another option might be to get someone to build you a pickguard that sits closer to the soundboard. Most guards mount either to the fingerboard or extension, but I'd bet a luthier could figure out a way to create a "step-down" that lets it hover closer to where you're used to placing your right hand.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Willie Nelson's guitar. I'm just saying...
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    That justs means you play your mandolin a lot and have been for a while.
    You are so right, the finish on the neck is mostly worn off including the stain. It's not quite a speed neck, but so very close. Need i say I love this mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Clear tape can go a long way... violin makers use it on valuable violins to prevent further wear of treble upper bout with left hand.
    Here is article about application of the protector...
    https://trianglestrings.com/applying...rib-protector/
    Adrian

Yeah, I don’t plant. It drags across that area sort of as a reference point for where my hand is. Thing is, I even let the pinkie hit when I’m chopping. That’s probably the reason. Clear Mylar/tape/guard is in my future. I thought someone might recommend filling in the bare wood with some sealant or such, but I can see that could be a problem down the road.

Thanks
    Rick in Memphis

I have used thin CA to build up the soundhole edge on guitars where the owner knows he's just going to continue chewing it up. Cured, the stuff is basically acrylic plastic- quite tough. I use many thin coats, and sand and buff the resulting fill. Care is required because it is so much harder than the surrounding finish you can develop a halo of bare wood around your fill!
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California