Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Blue Chip Pick?

Default Re: Considering a Blue Chip Pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Perhaps everything has been said, but it got me thinking about how easy it has been through the years to acquire PAS (as opposed to MAS) and how much fun can be had for less money than always buying mandolins. (bite my tongue!)

I've bought, tried, lost, sold, and enjoyed lots of picks, but mostly Blue Chips.

My first 2 were TP 50 & 60 with points and bevels. Switched to TAD 60 & 50 when they became available and of course got the CT55.
    Enjoyed these for years before trying one without a bevel (didn't like) and then just had to try a TAD 80.

Got one pick with a rounded corner, but never used that corner, and eventually decided to get back to my roots with a smaller pick.

Now I'm using mostly TP 50s, although I recently got a 48 to see what Bryan Sutton likes about them.

I've lost 2, gifted 1, and sold many of those picks as I continued the PAS affliction, but I remain happy with my PAS fun. (And I haven't even mentioned casein and other picks.)
    Yes, I have been suffering from PAS for decades. But since there are more different permutations of pick style and composition than musical instruments, I suppose I can never find a cure (sigh).
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

2. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

i'm amazed there are so many folks that appear to put so much constant effort (and big money!) into the mando picks they choose ... it's almost a religious thing.

4. The following members say thank you to rfd for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i'm amazed there are so many folks that appear to put so much constant effort (and big money!) into the mando picks they choose ... it's almost a religious thing.
    Not really. Just fun to try new stuff. It's like a second hobby! (I don't have a boat.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Buckyankees1 

Not really. Just fun to try new stuff. It's like a second hobby! (I don't have a boat.)
    at 35 bucks a clip for a small piece made of "... a very high grade, self lubricating composite material specially formulated for great playing qualities", that's a purty expensive hobby. indeed. to each their own, that's what makes the world economy go 'round and keeps businesses afloat.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

8. The following members say thank you to rfd for this post:

at 35 bucks a clip for a small piece made of "... a very high grade, self lubricating composite material specially formulated for great playing qualities", that's a purty expensive hobby. indeed. to each their own, that's what makes the world economy go 'round and keeps businesses afloat.
    Not necessarily. Trying different picks costs me maybe $10 -$15 a year. I spent more than that on my Wood Nymph. It's a fun way to keep changing things up, if only in a relatively minor way. Strings are another relatively inexpensive was to indulge myself without spending $1000 a pop for a new instrument. I also enjoy incremental upgrades. Maybe not economical, but it makes me happy, and isn't that what this is all for?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

i guess i'm lucky in that those freebie MF picks work just fine for me

i guess i'm lucky in that those freebie MF picks work just fine for me
    It is interesting that someone who, I assume, understands the subtleties of changing out stock electric pickups and has a business selling those (see Cavalier Pickups), I would think you would understand the subtleties of using different picks other than over-the-counter ones. I can certainly play with stock and inexpensive picks but like the quality of some of the premium ones. And I find that the shape and bevel of these higher priced ones do make some difference in my picking technique. Certainly no panacea but it adds spice to the fun of playing.

But, as we often say, to each his or her own. No problem either way.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It is interesting that someone who, I assume, understands the subtleties of changing out stock electric pickups and has a business selling those (see Cavalier Pickups), I would think you would understand the subtleties of using different picks other than over-the-counter ones. I can certainly play with stock and inexpensive picks but like the quality of some of the premium ones. And I find that the shape and bevel of these higher priced ones do make some difference in my picking technique. Certainly no panacea but it adds spice to the fun of playing.

But, as we often say, to each his or her own. No problem either way.
    jim, everything about music is quite subjective and personal. there is no right or wrong as long as the person making the music is satisfied. which is exactly the way it should be. anything other than this is quite abnormal. and that's all there is to that!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Maybe you missed my last paragraph where I mentioned that I had sold many of the BC picks that I tried. You can easily sell the picks for $25-30 in the classifieds. So I'm spending a net of maybe $10 every 6 months or so. I consider that a pretty cheap hobby. You can spend more than that on a bad hamburger at lots of places.
    Last edited by Phil Goodson; Jul-02-2018 at 9:22pm. Reason: sp
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Maybe you missed my last paragraph where I mentioned that I had sold many of the BC picks that I tried. You can easily sell the picks for $25-30 in the classifieds. So I'm spending a net of maybe $10 every 6 months or so. I consider that a pretty cheap hobby. You can spend more than that on a bad hamburger at lots of places.
    yup, very happy for you and yer cheap hobby

16. The following members say thank you to rfd for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JamieJ View Post
    I bought a Blue ChipTAD 60 and decided to do an experiment to see if the Blue Chip is superior to other mandolin picks. I asked a friend to listen to me playing my Eastman 305 mandolin with each of three picks; the Blue Chip TAD 60, a Golden Gate MP 12 Deluxe tortoise style rounded mandolin pick, and a Dunlop 1.5 mm Maxigrip nylon pick. She couldn't see which I was using and had her eyes closed. On the first go round, where I played a solo from a Stanley Brothers tune, she picked the Golden Gate pick as the most pleasing to her ear. On the second go round, where I played "Oh Susannah", by Stephen Foster, she picked the Blue Chip. We agreed, they all sound great but the Golden Gate, which only costs about $1, sounds most similar to the Blue Chip which costs $35. The Dunlop costs about $.50 per pick and can be bought in a pack of 12. I concluded "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!
    It is YOUR ears which matter !

Blog Entries

Yep. Picks and cases are my ongoing xAS.

19. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    What about one of the smaller ones? The guitar pick width is something I am very accustomed to and I was pondering the KS40 vs the CT55. The wider one needs the middle finger added for control. I do better when I am able to use my first finger and thumb with just a bit of an assist from my middle. Anyone used the smaller Kenny Smith version?
    Like you, I was gravitated towards the smaller guitar shaped picks that I was used to. It took me 3 or 4 tries before I finally settled on the CT-55. The shape is very easy for me to hold on to and seems normal now. So much so that I'm using that same shape for my guitar picks, the Dunlop Ultex .88. And this is from someone who always used a .50-.60 range before.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

21. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Matthew Goins of BC kindly makes a TDJ80 RB that I like very much.
    It’s a custom pick that begins life as a TD80 and features a Jazz tip and round bevel. It feels/sounds like a Wolle German pick but easier to hold. Also less clicky. Now these picks run $50–but consider what high-end Violin bows cost. Those premium bows are on average $600. Even more eye opening is The silver and ebony mounted violin bow, made by Francois Xavier Tourte, which was purchased in November 2015 for a world record auction price of US $288,960! That musta been some horse.
    My BC goes in a thin zippered leather pouch when not being used.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

After playing with a Herco heavy for years, I had a chance to try out a Blue Chip pick a few weeks ago along with a Dunlop Primetone. Not much difference to my feeling and hearing, and at $35 versus 3 for $5, respectively, the choice was easy.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

I have the CT55 and LOVE it. I was skeptical as to how much of an effect it could have on tone, but it really does bring out richer and cleaner notes, and my playing and technique definitely improved when I moved to it over smaller and thinner picks.
    "Domine Jesu Christe, Filius Dei, miserere me peccatorem"

Quote Originally Posted by pickngrin View Post
    Ah, grasshopper. The mando-fu is strong within you. Now take this Blue Chip from my hand...

25. The following members say thank you to Earthwood for this post:

I've settled on Wegen Bluegrass 1.4 for my mandolin and guitar and the opaque Dunlop primetone for the octave mandolin. Picks definitely make a difference. It's also cheaper to geek out on picks than mandolins.

So now that I've settled on picks and cases, I'll need something else to stave off MAS for a few more years. Looks like I will be researching straps.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

27. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Chuck, check out straps made by Bill Bailey.
    He’s a true craftsman and great guy!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Clements For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    +1 on Bailey straps. Fine work indeed.

Does BC still have a trade in policy? You could order a pick and if you didn't like it, send it back and swap it for another.

I really like the TAD 1R 60, but use a lot of 1.4 Dippers. 1.2 for guitar.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the tip on the Bailey straps. Don't want to derail the thread but I will order one as soon as I get paid!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Those Bailey straps are real nice, I like the El Dorado straps too...he made one of these into a mando strap for me without the buckle, I love it!

https://eldoradostraps.com/product/h...-guitar-strap/
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

34. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Does BC still have a trade in policy? You could order a pick and if you didn't like it, send it back and swap it for another.
    30 days return for replacement or refund on off the shelf non engraved picks

36. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

I have a friend that swears by BC but, just got a carbon fiber pick, I’ve not heard much about them, I don’t check the “pick world” threads very often. What is the consensus on CF for picks?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Yea i have this real expensive hobby. I bought a BC pick several (more like many) years ago, for something like $35.00 and I still have it and i still use it. That's $35.00 one time. Terrible.

On the other hand I found a diner where I can get two eggs sausage or bacon potatoes and rye toast and unlimited coffee for something like $11.00. I save so much money I go there every Saturday morning.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

39. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    Another purchaser of Bill Bailey straps ! I have bought a number of Bailey straps and will soon order two more. Great straps and Bill is great to deal with.