Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Since when is 1970s "vintage" ?

Default Re: Since when is 1970s "vintage" ?

To this day I look around for my dad when someone says Mr. Edgerton.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    As I read all of these definitions I ask myself, "Does it really matter", old is old and new is new, used is used, and beat up is beat up, not distressed...(But that`s another subject)...Does "Vintage" suggest that it is more valuable? I have a 1962 mandolin and I hope it goes up in value...

Willie
    here is why it matters. My Dad is 73, his memory is slipping and his gullibility increasing. He has a Taylor guitar, and at some point had some bills coming due. instead of telling us kids, he went and had it appraised. The guy told him it was 24 years old, hold onto it a year, then it would be vintage and skyrocket in value to over 30k.

The real value of it is about 1200. But he has his hopes set on giving me this 30k guitar. My hope is he can go to his grave thinking he gave me a very valuable "vintage" guitar based on that scam-artists rather sketchy use of a word to give an old man false hope.

Side note, when we found out we covered the expenses. It just smurfs me off to have people using bad phrases and logic to set people up for heartbreak.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Barton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Eldon Stutzman in Rochester NY, where I worked (Saturdays only -- that's the only day the store was open) around 1970-71 or so. His son Dave still runs Stutzman's Guitar Center here.
    I knew there were more at that time but not a lot, especially those store that primarily dealt with used instruments (other than pawn shops and junk or antique stores.)
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

When I first got interested in bluegrass and old-time music, Bill Monroe's F-5 was 48 years old and Clarence White's D-28 was 36 years old, and everyone I knew considered them to be "vintage" instruments ... as were lesser-quality instruments of the same era.

At that time, the term was more-or-less synonymous with "prewar," and not necessarily hobbled with connotations of quality. Vintage instrument dealers I frequented often had cheap parlor guitars and funky (but old) mandolins and banjos hanging alongside the Martins and Gibsons. They were all vintage, but they weren't all great.

"Used" instruments were 25 years old or younger, "vintage" ones older than that. 50 years down the line, it seems entirely reasonable that an instrument made in the '70s could be considered vintage. Whether it's desirable or not is another matter.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I knew there were more at that time but not a lot, especially those store that primarily dealt with used instruments (other than pawn shops and junk or antique stores.)
    There was also Pete's Guitar in St. Paul, Minnesota. He mainly dealt in electrics. But would carry acoustics. At the time the shop was open, I was only interested in electric instruments, so can't relate any good stories about acoustics. He opened the store sometime in the 1970's.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Many, many excellent comments in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Barton View Post
    here is why it matters. My Dad is 73, his memory is slipping and his gullibility increasing. He has a Taylor guitar, and at some point had some bills coming due. instead of telling us kids, he went and had it appraised. The guy told him it was 24 years old, hold onto it a year, then it would be vintage and skyrocket in value to over 30k.

The real value of it is about 1200. But he has his hopes set on giving me this 30k guitar. My hope is he can go to his grave thinking he gave me a very valuable "vintage" guitar based on that scam-artists rather sketchy use of a word to give an old man false hope.

Side note, when we found out we covered the expenses. It just smurfs me off to have people using bad phrases and logic to set people up for heartbreak.
    Yeah that's what gets under my skin as well, the scam-artist over-use of the word "vintage".

10. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Guitar Center has a vintage designation and a used designation, I should ask my friend that works there what assuredly arbitrary criteria they use to put things in the vintage category.

Well it's just too bad as we get older and become ***vintage*** we don't get better like wine or instruments. We just get older.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Well it's just too bad as we get older and become ***vintage*** we don't get better like wine or instruments. We just get older.
    Hey, speak for yourself! I am currently the best version of me!

You gotta like yourself at any age. And, at my age, I also enjoy the Taco Bell senior discount, which usually takes care of the tax.

I should add, I get that discount without asking -- not sure how the teenagers at the register know without asking for id......................

I always figure "vintage" means "older than me"!

Blog Entries

I didn't see another mention of it, but in the antique trade, 100 years old or more is defined as antique... As has been mentioned, vintage pertains to a particular period of origin, however Ruby Lane (a well known antique house) says vintage should not be less than 20 years old.

Now "over the hill", that's what happens when your kids begin to walk.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    You gotta like yourself at any age. And, at my age, I also enjoy the Taco Bell senior discount, which usually takes care of the tax.

I should add, I get that discount without asking -- not sure how the teenagers at the register know without asking for id......................
    You can also get a discount at Sears and I am sure many other places.

I am fine with myself, don't know if I am the best, I have been in better shape, but I am good for my age.

I may have to think about my dry sense of humor.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

vintage to me is earth shoes, bell bottom jeans & a Mach one Mustang from 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I like to think of myself like aged cheese. Once you get over the smell and scrape off the mould, you've got a classic.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roger Moss For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I like to think of myself like aged cheese. Once you get over the smell and scrape off the mould, you've got a classic.
    Changing socks more often helps
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Hey, speak for yourself! I am currently the best version of me!
    And every day I break my own personal record for consecutive days lived.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

24. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Rosett View Post
    Well, 1970 was 48 years ago. I'm surprised that they didn't refer to it as "mid-century".
    That’s how they refer to US, John.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Changing socks more often helps
    Lol!

Jeff Mando...I thought the Taco Bells just gave a free small drink instead of a discount, I guess it varies from place to place...Most senior discounts are 10% so if your state taxes are set at 10% you must live in a "rich" state...

Sorry for getting off of the OP`s subject, I didn`t start it though...

Willie

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NursingDaBlues For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    ... Sorry for getting off of the OP's subject, ...
    No problem! I'm the OP and I have no objections.

I always like reading the various tangents that forum threads sometimes go on, because that's often where I learn stuff that I didn't even know that I didn't know (if that makes sense).

And of course humor is always welcome, it's good to laugh. Many excellent posts in this thread, & I especially loved the cheese & socks posts.

So I don't want anyone to worry about being off topic, IMO the reason for forum threads is to learn stuff & have fun. Looking good!

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who's posted.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

I always thought,like in cars,that 20 yrs. is classic,50 yrs. vintage,and 100 yrs. is antique...

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Ted Heinonen

This reminds me of when relatives were visiting from scandinavia and after a spending the day sight seeing we went to a local "antique" shop. As we walked through browsing the cousin asked with a chuckle "where are the antiques?" Most of the items they observed were "used" daily items... and no where near what they considered antiques in the old country.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theinone For This Useful Post: