Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Since when is 1970s "vintage" ?

Default Re: Since when is 1970s "vintage" ?

Even Martin guitars created a "Vintage" series of guitars modeled after those that were built in the '30's and early '40's. Yes, the word of overused for sure and as most of the posts say, it's really a marketing ploy for the most part. Just like Martin did with the guitars, it was something to help them sell more guitars. Gibson did it with the "Distressed Master Models" as well although I am not sure they used the word "vintage" in their advertising. I think for most of us, something being vintage is based on how it relates to us and our own perspective. Just my .02 cents.

Someone mentioned Bill Monroe's mandolin and one of Ricky Skaggs as well. This year, their mandolins will be 95-yrs old...
    ManjoMan

2. The following members say thank you to ManjoMan for this post:

My first three mandolins, back in the mid to late 70's were a Harmony 810 (?), I think that was the model. Then an Alvarez, two point oval hole. I think they called that the A-500. Then an F style Alvarez, called, for whatever reason, the A-700. I have seen all of these called "Vintage" at one time or another. I sold all three in 1993, along with a Gibson Guitar (forgot the model), and took a "break" from the stringed instrument business. I decided to be become the next Paul Butterfield. That didn't work out, either. So, in August of 2015, at a Bluegrass festival, I bought an Eastman 305. Over the next two and a half years I've bought and sold 36 mandolins. But it has been FUN! Which is really all I can expect.
    One of those mandolins was, you guessed it..... an Alvarez F style A-700. I can attest, it is not vintage. In fact, like someone else mentioned, I only owned it because I couldn't afford a good mandolin. The top was thick. It sounded like a cinder block with strings. There was some improvement with a CA bridge but it was like putting perfume on a pig. I sold it. Not vintage.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

4. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Teacher, repair person

'Since when is 1970s "vintage"?'

Since people who were born in the 1970s started getting gray hair.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I guess vintage is just one word for anything that needs an excuse for looking old. Other words are classic or seasoned.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

8. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    Thanks for that link, it's an intriguing article. I'd say a market correction was surely long overdue - IMO the antiques fad has lasted way too long already. Quick quote:

"The Declining Value of Antiques.
    Compared with the heyday of antiques collecting, prices for average pieces are now "80 percent off," ... Your typical Georgian 18th century furniture... can all be had for a fraction of what they cost 15 to 20 years ago."
    "The End or a Trend?
    Will other 18th and 19th century furniture pieces ever return to fashion? Many designers say that antiques will rise again but, after nearly two decades of decline, few are willing to predict when."

And this is interesting too, from that same article:

"Even New York's prestigious Winter Antiques Show has changed its rules. Founded in 1955, the show once required that exhibited pieces be at least 100 years old. In 2009, the organizers and dealer committee changed the cutoff date to 1969 to include midcentury objects. In 2016, they removed the date restriction entirely, paving the way for contemporary design."

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Thanks for that link, it's an intriguing article. I'd say a market correction was surely long overdue - IMO the antiques fad has lasted way too long already. Quick quote:

"The Declining Value of Antiques.
    Compared with the heyday of antiques collecting, prices for average pieces are now "80 percent off," ... Your typical Georgian 18th century furniture... can all be had for a fraction of what they cost 15 to 20 years ago."
    "The End or a Trend?
    Will other 18th and 19th century furniture pieces ever return to fashion? Many designers say that antiques will rise again but, after nearly two decades of decline, few are willing to predict when."

And this is interesting too, from that same article:

"Even New York's prestigious Winter Antiques Show has changed its rules. Founded in 1955, the show once required that exhibited pieces be at least 100 years old. In 2009, the organizers and dealer committee changed the cutoff date to 1969 to include midcentury objects. In 2016, they removed the date restriction entirely, paving the way for contemporary design."
    This is excellent indeed. I have chapped and chafed fo decades over the wretched state of prices for used and older item of many types. I still remember when old used stuff was almost given away to get them out of the way. It was a great way to get started on the cheap. I'd celebrate the return to those days.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Moss For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    ... I have chapped and chafed fo decades over the wretched state of prices for used and older item of many types. I still remember when old used stuff was almost given away to get them out of the way. It was a great way to get started on the cheap. I'd celebrate the return to those days.
    Same here.