Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leavin'

Default Re: Leavin'

Quote Originally Posted by ManjoMan View Post
    That is definitely Don Rigsby. His stance and the way he holds the mandolin are unique to tell it's him.
    You guys are right. I was not looking at the same video as the OP. That guy is way to skinny to be Don Rigsby...
    ManjoMan

Dudley Connell, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    You're right, Ivan; it most certainly does. And since that video was clearly shot some years back, judging by the appearance of both James and the bass player (who I will be catching next month when Sideline hosts Lil John's Mountain Music Festival in Snow Camp, NC
    http://www.littlejohnsmountainmusic.com/), it may well be Wayne. If we are still scratching our collective heads about this, I will ask Jason who it was.
    Now we're getting somewhere! I knew you guys would come through. I did a quick online search and found the web site for Wayne's current band which includes contact info. I've asked the man directly - I'll let you know if I get a response. Thanks for the assist!!

And if it's Wayne, looks as though he moved on to rhythm guitar and bandleader, and has handed over mandolin responsibilities to others. No doubt about who the mandolinist is in this video - that's Emory Lester. Wayne keeps pretty good company!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OfY...E#action=share
    Last edited by lukmanohnz; Apr-05-2018 at 7:27am.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukmanohnz For This Useful Post:

Hi Alan - Go ahead & ask anyway. Confirmation is always good. Wayne taylor is one of my favourite singers in Bluegrass. I have the ''US Country Current Bluegrass'' CD with WT in the band,that's why i recognised the facial similarity,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    Dudley Connell, I'd say.
    Uh...no.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

It’s not him, but at first I thought it was tony rice on mandolin.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Ivan, I think you've found the answer!
    That -does- look like a young Wayne...

If that's Wayne Taylor, we have a new mystery: What turned that great piercing tenor into Wayne's lazy baritone?

Jeroen - I suspect that like many 'good' singers,Wayne has a fairly wide range of tones in his voice. After all,Bill Monroe ''The Father of High Lonesome'' didn't sing at top pitch all the time,neither did his back up singers. Many singers with bands,are required to sing 'however' they're asked to. However,age plays a part in it as well. Once upon a time,i could sing ''Little Maggie'' in B,as per my favourite version by Ralph Stanley (attached). 20 years later,i'd have to come down an octave,but by that time my vocal skills had all but vanished,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, I would be surprised by not so much the range as rather the timbre. But hey, surprise me.

I googled Bill Emerson & Sweet Dix1e and in a few of those videos that came up the mandolin player does look somewhat like the same fellow that is with James King but those photos were quite a few years apart...I have seen Country Current many times since they were housed in the DC area and that is possibly where I had seen that mandolin player before...I also googled Wayne Taylor but nothing showed up that would prove that it is him...

Surely someone by now would be able to name him, I know that I have seen him at some festivals around this area...

Willie

Ok, sports fans, mystery solved. The picker is Brian Wetzel, from Maryland. That video was shot ~ 1993. Info straight from the bass man who was...wait for it...playing bass at that show. I can now sleep at night.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Holy Cow, Why couldn`t I recall that...Of course I have met him around the circuit but just couldn`t remember where or put a name to the face.. after all 1993 was a long time ago.....Have a good nights rest Alan...

Willie

From AlanN - " The picker is Brian Wetzel, from Maryland. " . He changed his name to Wayne Taylor shortly after !!.

Thanks Alan - mystery cleared up,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.