Thread: What If Top Wood Grain Was Askew?

Default What If Top Wood Grain Was Askew?

A bizarre question, but I was curious as to what you think would happen if the top wood in an acoustic instrument was built with the grain not parallel to the strings.

So if the top grain is usually patterned like this ||||||||

What do you think would happen with the tone or stability if the grain of a 2-piece top was patterned like any of the below? And what else do you think would have to change with the design of the instrument to accommodate these weird wood grains?

1. V-pattern towards tailpiece \\\\\\///////

2. Diagonal pattern \\\\\\\\\\\\

3. V-pattern towards neck //////\\\\\\\

4. Perpendicular to strings =========

To me the diagonal pattern seems like it might be an interesting experiment for a fanned-fret instrument, as this grain direction would put the skewed bridge perpendicular to the top grain, but other than that I have no idea what these would do, except perhaps just collapse the top.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: What If Top Wood Grain Was Askew?

3. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Why doe you think Gibson used sunburst or black finish on many guitars & mandolins? To obscure visual flaws in their instrument tops...

Not sure I've ever seen perpendicular wood grain on a top, but... I've heard plenty of great sounding instruments that didn't have book matched straight grain tops and plenty with the grain a
    t a slight angle.

5. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I think one of those V patterns could look terrific if the top had a nice pronounced grain. I can't imagine it making a huge difference, but I'm not a luthier.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

7. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

If a harp has a solid spruce soundboard, it is generally built in glued together sections with the grain running side to side. This is partly a structural thing, with all that string tension pulling upwards, but I never heard anyone say the sound suffered in any way.

There was a thread a while back about a used Weber Gallatin that was for sale with a pronounce wavy pattern in the top grain. It sold quickly and many here were fascinated with the look. Some thought it reminded them of some old Gibson tops. My wife has an old Martin 1 series 000 guitar with wavy grain. It sounds just fine.

If wavy grain and perpendicular grain sound fine, I don’t see why any of the other patterns above wouldn’t sound fine too. But you also have cosmetic considerations and structural considerations. Seems to me the grain running true and straight up and down would be stronger, and it looks good too. Very few people want an instrument that looks odd and nobody wants one that self destructs because it’s not strong enough to support the string tension.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

9. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

This \\\\\\\\\///////// and this /////////\\\\\\\\\ represent grain run out at the glue joint, and that means the glue joint is weaker, so those are not good ideas structurally.
    As for sound, likely no discernible difference attributable to grain direction.

11. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I've seen the V shape in laminated tops with exotic woods but I suppose that's another kettle of fish. Didn't someone post an instrument with a checkerboard top, or maybe a four piece puzzle piece top? It might have been a back.

13. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

This is my #4, which I built basically from discarded parts from #1-3. Somewhat irritatingly, it's probably the best sounding 4-string I've built.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4303.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	166244

15. The following members say thank you to Magnus Geijer for this post:

If you think about it, getting //////\\\\\\ isn't possible in a bookmatch without reversing one side. You end up with ////!/////.

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

This 1882 Tilton guitar has the topwood running diagonally. I have seen many, but not all, of Tilton's guitars with that feature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 2.08.41 PM.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	166248
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

19. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Tops are usually split off the same billet. You'd be wasting a fair amount of wood to try for a \\// match. Of course, it depends on the grain in the chunk of spruce you're working with.

Insofar as placing the grain parallel to the bridge, seems to me there'd be structural issues; I can envision the top splitting in two beneath the bridge, breaking along the grain.

21. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Very informative responses, thank you. And that 4-string looks exquisite, Magnus, the body looks reminiscent of a Rigel 2-point.

The 1882 Tilton that Jim posted is interesting; kinda hard to tell from that photo but I'd assume the top is cut from a single piece of wood to eliminate the issue of a cross-grain glue joint, yes?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

isn't there anisotropic variation that's sort of fundamental to the way guitars are built and braced?

(I just wanted to use a big and hard-to-pronounce word.)

Notwithstanding John's point about run-out and joint strength. In principal, isn't the strength/properties along the grain different than the strength/properties transverse to the grain?

I'd expect a guitar with the top grain running transverse to sound different.

Yes, I'm an engineer.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

24. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post: