Thread: Cheapest “Good” Mandolin?

Default Cheapest “Good” Mandolin?

Whats the cheapest mandolin you’ve ever bought that sounded good and played well?

This here on the right is my Hofner 545 (not sure about the year) that I bought for around $60.
    It sounds great to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3995.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	166272

( But then again, the one on the left is the only other mandolin I’ve ever played, so I don't necessarily have much to compare with )

Default Re: Cheapest “Good” Mandolin?

Going by my experience as part of the forums here for a few years , I can offer a bit of , I believe , very useful advice .

If you like that little mando on the right in your photo and you're happy with the sound ...NEVER EVER look at or listen to another mandolin or anyone's opinions with regards to the instrument unless you are prepared to contract MAS ( mandolin aquisition syndrome ) and spend a lifetime of lusting over every other mandolin you see , here or are told about .

Don't smoke that first cigarette , don't take the first drink and NEVER look at , listen to or play another mandolin if you are happy .
    Live a great life .

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to roysboy For This Useful Post:

===========

I love my Washburn M1SDL. $200, new. Plays GREAT, nice tone. Only down side is that is lacks big volume - but if I am playing privately, it is of no real concern.

My Parsons flat-top. I got it off of the Classifieds here over 10 years ago. It was pretty much mint at the time and I think I payed about $400 for it. I bought it as a beater/travel instrument, but I've really grown to love the tone and the playability. It has a really sweet, chime-y kind of sound. I've taken it to bluegrass jams in places I've traveled with it and done OK. I can even get a passable chop out of it! It's a real gem and dollar for dollar, the best musical investment I've made.

Name:	IMG_1742 (2).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	166276

That Hofner is absolutely cool. If it sounds good, that's just icing on the cake. I have a few nice mandolins, Gibsons, Collings, etc. but if I could handle the sound of the Hofner, there are places I'd play it just because it looks so cool.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

7. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Kentucky km150
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Serviceable bowlbacks can be found used for under $100

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I love my Washburn M1SDL. $200, new. Plays GREAT, nice tone. Only down side is that is lacks big volume - but if I am playing privately, it is of no real concern.
    Which color? I tried out a rather fetching red one. Played pretty nice, but ar $220, was more than I could spend.

Just for the record, I now play a $105 Rover RM-35s, which I adore. Low action, arrow straight neck, plays like butter, and sounds quite good.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Blog Entries

My first mandolin was a Japanese Terada. It did everything it was supposed to do, and I am sure could do a lot more. My dad got it for me for $80.00 from a television repair store that also sold high school band and other instruments (which, in itself will tell you how long ago that was).

I played the potatoes out of that thing, for years and years. There was no internet, there were no personal computers, (as Dilbert says, we didn't even have ones and zeros, we only had ones) and I had a busy life going to school, starting my first job, figuring out how to have a social life, so I was not as obsessed as I am now.

I left the mandolin in my car one hot summer day, and it destroyed itself. If that hadn't happened I am not actually sure I would ever have bought another mandolin. Or, ironically, gotten into mandolinning as much as I have.

My first serious instrument of good quality was a (pre-Gibson) Flatiron mandola, that I purchased sight unseen from the Elderly catalog for something like $400.00, (we only had the print catalog then), and I played it for many years. I have since sold it, and it is played regularly by a friend of mine. It was part of my arsenal for a long time. That thing was loud. It went to Scotland with me, the first time I went to the Edinburgh festival(s) and I played that thing all over town.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I don't like the word "cheap". It has the connotation of compromised quality. There are economy instruments that are not extremely expensive, but are really good quality builds and sound great and can make one happy for ever.

To find them you kind of have to go a few standard deviations from the bluegrass icon of a Gibson F5. So, for example, A styles tend to be less expensive than F styles, flat tops tend to be less expensive than arch tops, etc.

I am still in love with my Big Muddy M-11, and can't say enough great things about it, and that was a very affordable instrument.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Which color? I tried out a rather fetching red one. Played pretty nice, but ar $220, was more than I could spend.
    I have one of the black Washburn M1SDL's (you can see a photo if you click on my profile, and check the the 'Some Of My Instruments' photo album.

After seeing some very positive reviews on the internet, I bought mine new from AMS, who lets you make affordable payments. With only a minor tweak to the bridge for personal preference to the action, it played VERY well, right out of the box. A few months later I saw a used one at the local Guitar Center, (about $159) but the previous owner didn't seem to know how to care for it, so it wasn't a good player . . . but if I ever come across more 'good' used ones, I'll snap them up.

Not counting the Rogue, which is a perfectly serviceable instrument I got for $49 along with a guitar of similar quality (I think the package was $99), probably my best score was my 1983 bandolim which I paid $80 for from a store that sold leftovers from auctions. It looked a mess but cleaned up well and has a lovely, ringing tone. It's now out on lone to a fiddler who had to give up her instrument (temporarily one hopes) because of hearing issues. Still sounds nice when I play alongside the fiddler. Definitely worth way more than I paid for it.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Strad-O-Lin, probably 1950's; had a big un-repaired top crack, lots of finish crazing, and a canvas "gig bag." Paid $25 to the elderly lady who'd been keeping it under her bed for years, spent probably another $90-100 getting the top crack repaired (paying no attention to the cosmetics, just structural stability). Spent $75 on a used hard-shell case. Played it for over 20 years as my "throw it in the trunk, you never know when you'll want a mandolin" instrument. Traded it on a better Strad-O-Lin, got $95 on the trade.

People have given me mandolins –– a German Holdrio Piccolo "pocket" mandolin. a no-name mandolin banjo -- but the Strad-O-Lin was the cheapest one I actually purchased.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

"$199.00 solid F style"

Name:	20161017_231329.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	527.8 KB 
ID:	166283
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I've got to jump on the 199.00 bandwagon, but it neither played well or sounded particularly good out if the box. After a lot of work it does now. Playing hours have improved the tone to the point I wouldn't know how to evaluate a new import.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    If you like that little mando on the right in your photo and you're happy with the sound ...NEVER EVER look at or listen to another mandolin or anyone's opinions with regards to the instrument unless you are prepared to contract MAS
    Haha yeah I was pretty sure I'd get advice along those lines. I've been suffering from IAS (instrument acquisition syndrome) myself for years, which is what got me to embrace "the way of the mandolin" in the first place. (I've since acquired several members of the family of course:)

Honestly I suspect the Hofner is worth a bit more than what I paid for it, but looking at the other posts here as well, clearly one can find a good, maybe even a great mandolin for a few hundred dollars
    I've received almost as many complements for it's sound as for it's looks and I couldn't be happier with my first mandolin.

I am quite sure that this is the beginning of another expensive, painful, frustrating, time-consuming, relationship wrecking, arthritis provoking and completely wonderful time in my life...

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Kentucky km150
    Like Nick says... Kentucky KM150 is tough to beat for the buck...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MandoNina View Post
    Whats the cheapest mandolin you’ve ever bought that sounded good and played well?
    ...snip...
    My current mandolin, a c. 1965 Harmony Monterey H410.

I purchased it (for around $200?) from a luthier who had built and installed a new custom fitted, non-adjustable ebonized maple bridge for the mandolin. He also set-up the mandolin beautifully, so it has killer playability.

The mandolin has a wonderful old-timey,"honky tonk" tone that works very well for my modest needs and applications.

Name:	Rvhir86.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	166290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHs2d8Z.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	166291
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Woodswalker

I currently own a Gold Tone mandola and I'm thinking a mandolin would be better for folky type jams because the Mandola has the same register as a guitar. I would love to make a trade, but not sure how that would happen. Meanwhile I was at Sam Ash today looking at mandolins. They had several models by Carlo Robelli for about $200. (my Gold Tone was in the $400 range and I bought it online.)

I'm looking for something with nice easy action. the Mandola is really tough on my hands even after taking it to be 'set up" (at Sam Ash...) Also I'm wary of a "cheap" mandolin because they might be nice in the beginning but eventually they might warp & become unplayable.

Ibanez is a brand I always liked. I had an Ibanez banjo once and that thing was the Love of my life.
    Any advice about brands? I could probly spend up to the $200 range if I could sell some of my other equipment.

Around 2000 or so I got a nice Flatiron A-5 for around $300 on the used rack at a Knoxville store.

Good sound is such a relative term; probably The F9 that I got for just under 2K.

KM 150 is a pretty safe bet if set up well. Flatiron 1N is an excellent little mandolin I payed $500 for. Best bargain I’ve scored was the Eastman 315 for $429.00 on clearance at a big box store. Lot of mandolin, especially at that price.
    Chuck

===========

Quote Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
    Around 2000 or so I got a nice Flatiron A-5 for around $300 on the used rack at a Knoxville store.
    Ladies and gentlemen - we have a winner!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

About 30+ years ago, 86', I bought a Givens / Ode A for 150.00$ . R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...