Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Top Sunken?

Default Is This Top Sunken?

Just got a newly made mandolin sent to me and it appears that the top is sunken and there's a small crack on the bass hole. Just checking with y'all to make sure my eyes do not deceive me.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Mar-30-2018 at 2:40pm. Reason: Images have been removed. This discussion has crossed what's appropriate and needs closed.

Default Re: Is This Top Sunken?

Your eyes do not deceive you.

The maker should probably re-top that for you.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Your eyes do not deceive you.

The maker should probably re-top that for you.
    I was hoping I was wrong. It's a disappointment and a real dang shame. Thanks for being a second set of eyes, I appreciate it.

5. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

Yes, it's sunken, but not by a lot. Sometimes they stabilize in that shape. Sometimes not.

not by a lot ?
    way too much for any mandolin let alone a new one
    John D

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFDilmando For This Useful Post:

Very pretty mandolin from what I can see but no way a brand new top should look like that.
    I bet the crack is a result of the face-failure.
    Do you care to mention the maker?

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

That should get a new top. The crack may only be in the finish. It is not following the grain. Either way, the sinking is obvious.

Strangely, the top does not look thin based on the thickness at the F hole (Bass side).
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Very pretty mandolin from what I can see but no way a brand new top should look like that.
    I bet the crack is a result of the face-failure.
    Do you care to mention the maker?

Billy
    The maker is handling the situation in good faith so far so I'd rather not share their name. They are doing their best to do right by the situation. If that should change I will let y'all know

It's a damn shame, even with the sunken top it sounds great. I am hoping the replacement gets here safely.

The maker says it happened in the shipping process and I am plenty happy to out the shipper: USPS Express. And I should say, the box came to me well beaten up.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Em Tee For This Useful Post:

If the maker’s looking after you no need to name. As I’ve said previously it’s not whether things go wrong in a transaction, it’s how they deal with it when it does.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneChordTrick For This Useful Post:

Man, that stinks. Glad the builder's handling it for you, though sorry about yet another wait to get your new mandolin
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    The maker says it happened in the shipping process and I am plenty happy to out the shipper: USPS Express. And I should say, the box came to me well beaten up.
    USPS doesn't usually beat up my shipments, although don't get me started about quality of delivery carriers. My worst fears happen when I'm waiting for UPS. They can really beat the hell out of boxes. I've gotten shipments from them so demolished there could be little hope for the contents. Yet I've never had to return anything damaged in transit. Go.figure.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Personally, I just don’t understand how a sunken top could be caused by shipping. Much more likely to be caused by improper bracing or too-thin top graduation in that spot. Both of those would be on the builder, not the shipper.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

18. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Personally, I just don’t understand how a sunken top could be caused by shipping. Much more likely to be caused by improper bracing or too-thin top graduation in that spot. Both of those would be on the builder, not the shipper.
    Maybe it was packed to tightly, but that wasn't the shipper, either.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

There are some well-known mandolin makers whose tops look like that when they are new. It doesn't necessarily mean there will be long-term problems, if it's a structural plan they use on other instruments and those others have held up.

Just want to reiterate the luthier has been a stand up guy through this process, and I've got no reason to doubt his word/integrity.

22. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

If the situation goes south please read the posting guidelines and contact the site owner before you post the builder's name. Thanks.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If the situation goes south please read the posting guidelines and contact the site owner before you post the builder's name. Thanks.
    Thanks. I wasn't and am not trying to drag the guy, just wanted confirmation in regards to what I was seeing before i went to him with this issue. Like i said, he's been great. No reason to continue the conversation at this juncture.

Blog Entries

This is neither here nor there at this point, but I would just mention that when I receive a parcel that looks a bit worse for wear, the first thing I do is grab my camera (or cellphone camera). Then I document the whole unpacking process with photos.

Sounds like this case is being handled honorably by all, but even here the seller might could use those photos if he feels the damage occurred in transit.

edit: oops, I see Em Tee posted a semi-closure as I was typing. Sorry to have continued it.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Does anyone else think that it's asking for trouble having pointy ends to "F" holes? My experience extends to aircraft canopies where, should you have a small crack, you drill a hole at the end of it to stop it spreading.

27. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Does anyone else think that it's asking for trouble having pointy ends to "F" holes? My experience extends to aircraft canopies where, should you have a small crack, you drill a hole at the end of it to stop it spreading.
    I've wondered about that too.

Looks like a lacquer crack caused by stress. The crack doesnt follow the grain line.

If it sounds great, I'd have kept it as long as the maker takes note for any possible future free repair. If it just sounds good, then get a new top.

I understand that a new mando needs to be blemish free, thats why I ask if its a great sounding one. I'll take a great sounding beater over any good sounding, dime a dozen, blemish free, any day of the week.

Top impact or excessive pressure , resulting in finish crack , loosened top brace???methinks.

Regardless of the cause, that top has to go. Good luck to the OP.
    ..... f5joe

Like I said, luthier has been great in dealing with this process. Has gone above and beyond expectations. If anything changes I will let you know, but i have zero reason to believe anything will change in his behavior. He seems to be a good guy with lots of integrity, and aside from this foible, builds an excellent product that I still feel comfortable (and have continued) recommending to others.

33. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

You mention that even with the sunken top it sounds good. Did you have to adjust the bridge to play it with out any buzzing?
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V