Thread: Speed burst technique

Default Speed burst technique

What is it? Have you used it? Does it work?

Default Re: Speed burst technique

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.QKiBfN0aYoM

I never heard of this, so I looked it up...or at least tried.

Could you tell me where you heard of this, please?

Could you tell me where you heard of this, please?[/QUOTE]

https://www.guitarplayer.com/techniq...-picking-speed

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Visentin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Visentin View Post
    https://www.guitarplayer.com/techniq...-picking-speed[/QUOTE]

"playing a short repetition of a lick and pausing between repetitions. The pause, Higgins, notes, lets you “recover physically and mentally” from the burst."

Thanks. I read the article, and although this technique may work, I would stick with plain old speed and accuracy studies.

I have never liked the term "shredder" for a guitar player that has the ability to play as fast as a normal sax, clarinet, or piano player.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

"playing a short repetition of a lick and pausing between repetitions. The pause, Higgins, notes, lets you “recover physically and mentally” from the burst."

Thanks. I read the article, and although this technique may work, I would stick with plain old speed and accuracy studies.

"Higgins thinks metronomes are good for working on timing and stamina but won’t necessarily help with speed."

One thing does not negate the other. It is good to have many tricks and techniques in your pocket.

8. The following members say thank you to Bob Visentin for this post:

I see some merit to the idea. Thinking about how to practice is a good habit to have. In "First, Learn to Practice", Tom Heany presents the idea of practicing for five minutes then taking a rest and practicing for five minutes more and so on. Heany also recommends to practice slowly at first. In the video Ben Higgins says start out with three notes and then add more.

So, this seems like a good idea to learn a passage that must be played quickly: start out slowly, break it down into short segments, lengthen them as you get better, and pause for short rests during your practice.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I've always had difficulty achieving speed by "playing slowly and progressively increasing speed over time". There is a "shifting of gears" that occurs for me at a certain speed which just can't happen when I slowly increase the speed.

I've always done better by isolating phrases of 3-10 notes and practicing the small chunks and getting them fast and smooth, then putting the chunks together. (This takes a little work also, usually playing the first chunk plus 1 or 2 notes from next chunk and repeating till smooth.)

People learn and progress in different ways. It makes sense to try different processes and see which one clicks best for you.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

11. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

You mean varying your note speed? Is common in jazz to play various speeds just in one phrase,,for ex. Starting in 16th or 32nds and slow down to 8th or quarters all in one single line,,this takes practice to vary your picking speeds at will,but the result is very rewarding..

13. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Blog Entries

I’m intrigued. Going to try some version of this and see if it works

15. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I’m intrigued. Going to try some version of this and see if it works
    Mark,,it works..once you get a grip on pick control,or speed control,it is a very ear catching and expressive technique..

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

I actually have done this to increase my speed...I’ll play as fast as I can disregarding clams and such in short bursts with a pause and do it over and over for a few moments adding measures as I work out the kinks and get comfortable. I don’t spend a ton of time just a moment or two but it helped me get used to playing fast...kinda like a runner practicing sprints...

I never got the play slow to get faster thing...just doesn’t seem to work for me, while I take things slow generally I have to practice playing fast to get faster.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Mark,,it works..
    I tried it some this afternoon.

I worked on the opening phrase of Blackberry Blossom about 30 minutes with the metronome set at +15 of my usual best clean speed. 4 - 6 beat phrases and rest. Repeat and move thru A part. I'll try it for a week and see if it sticks. I was able to play the entire A part at the new speed after the 30 minute session. It wasn't comfortable yet but it was doable

For me working on playing faster in bursts and rests, provided usable feedback for smoothing out pick control issues at the higher speed. In the past if I'm trying to play an entire tune at +15 I'm only thinking about surviving

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

This is basically how I play ITM dance tunes all the time. I often leave out the final 8th note of a phrase and let the previous pronounced note ring out instead, making space for a rest in real time.
    I didn't know there was a name for that, but didn't need it either for doing it. What you need for that, though, is enough sustain to bridge the rest.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

21. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I have used this idea of speed bursts in teaching for 30+ years. What I found is students pushing to play faster practice playing under lots of tension. They get really good at playing with constant tension. The following helps them learn to relax while playing faster.

Start with a simple one measure phrase played at a comfortable tempo with a metronome. "Burst" for a measure and rest for a measure. When stopping, relax completely and when doing the "burst", notice where the tension is and where it seems to come from. Work the tempo up gradually. As you rfeel the tension comming on, see if you can relax it while still doing the burst. Keep doing this gradually faster, always using the metronome, until you just cant go any faster.

Just one of many tools to try...
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Awesome. Thx Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?source....0.QKiBfN0aYoM

I never heard of this, so I looked it up...or at least tried.

Funny enough, meanwhile the first hit in the google search is this very thread in the mandolin cafe forum

26. The following members say thank you to Toni Schula for this post:

By the way, I got this and many other ideas on practicing from what I still consider to be the best book on this stuff I"ve ever read. Its called "The Natural Classical Guitar". Long out of print, and all its examples were from classical guitar literature. However, take the concepts, apply your instrument and style, and you have a gold mine of useful information. I have all my serious students read it (I loan it to them) and a lot have bought it.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

28. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ToyonPete View Post
    I see some merit to the idea. Thinking about how to practice is a good habit to have. In "First, Learn to Practice", Tom Heany presents the idea of practicing for five minutes then taking a rest and practicing for five minutes more and so on. Heany also recommends to practice slowly at first. In the video Ben Higgins says start out with three notes and then add more.

So, this seems like a good idea to learn a passage that must be played quickly: start out slowly, break it down into short segments, lengthen them as you get better, and pause for short rests during your practice.
    The problem with “First Learn to Practice” is that it is all based on anecdotes and one man’s opinion. I took a look at what could be read of it on Amazon and found a misconception, right off the bat.

“The best way to learn anything is to have instant feedback on whether you’re doing it correctly or incorrectly. This lets you adjust in real time, and helps you avoid practicing mistakes. You get lots of immediate rewards when you do things right, and you improve faster. You have confidence in what you’re doing – you’re never wondering if maybe you’re on the wrong track.”

Research has proven this is incorrect. At least in terms of instructor feedback, it is more effective provide aggregate feedback to a student after several attempts than to provide immediate feedback after each attempt. Let a student struggle through several attempts and make his own adjustments.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonZ For This Useful Post:

Amazing, this works so well!
    Thanks guys, and many thanks mandolincafe.
    Great practice technique, instead of trying to force out letters fast, I'm using whole words and sentences.