Thread: Pick report: D'Andrea Radex and Ultra Plec

Default Pick report: D'Andrea Radex and Ultra Plec

As I posted a little while ago, D'Andrea has restarted manufacturing Ultra Plec which had a bit of cult following. Those are only available in the classic 351 guitar pick shape. I bought a couple packs in 1.5mm and 2.0mm. They also have available a new pick they call Radex. It's available up to 1.25mm in three shapes - 351, large triangle, and a pointed jazz shape. I bought .75mm guitar shape, and 1.25mm in the large triangle.

They all arrived today and I've been messing about. If you like Pro Plec (and I do) you'll probably like these as well, at least in the thicker end, or if you want something with that feel, but stickier on your finger and with more bend. They feel quite a bit softer and more flexible then Pro Plex - up to 1.5, the 2.0 doesn't really bend much. I strongly suspect the Ultra Plex and Radex are the same material. At .75mm it feels like a medium Dunlop Gel pick, which I don't particularly like for acoustic anything, though I might like it for electric guitar. The 1.25 large triangle is noticeably flexy - More than an Ultex 1.14, which feels sort of weird as it's so thick. But I like the tone it gets - it's dark as thicker picks tend toward, but there is not so much clicking on string strike. The shoulder of the 351 also works very nicely generally, but the embossing is so close to the edge it's making a noticeable scrape sound! I don't like the pointy end for mando, so those are going to be just for guitar. But for strumming the Radex triangle is really nice and mellow.

I also recently received some Primetones in the 351 shape at 3mm. I think I'm learning I don't care for a speed bevel for mandolin or guitar. But it is fun for flatpicking guitar, and the shoulder is interesting for mandolin.

2. The following members say thank you to mzurer for this post:

Frost