Thread: Matt Flinner

Haven't heard anything about Matt Flinner for awhile. He was on a pretty active streak there for awhile:

1998 - The View From Here
    1999 - Phillips Grier & Flinner
    2001 - Latitude
    2002 - Looking Back (PGF)
    2003 - Walking on the Moon

But nothing (that I'm aware of anyway) since then.

Don't know what he's doing now, but let me add one:

2004 - Nutcracker Suite (MMQ)

Oh sorrow of sorrows... he's currently playing b__jo in the Drew Emmit band (former Leftover Salmon).

Of course, Drew ain't no slouch on the mando either!

Steve

There's an old photo floating around of Matt playing in a banjo camp, he looks to be 10 years old. And I think he won Winfield banjo one year.

Playing banjo in Drew Emmitt's band, huh? He should be on mando

Blog Entries

He's still picking some mando. When I was talking to David Grier last week, he says that he's been doing an occasional trio w/ Flinner and Noam Pikelny.

Jim

He's on Noam Pikelny's solo CD.

Steve K

Looks like Flinner, Grier, and Pikelny (and Shad Cobb) just played Bongo Java in Nashville on Saturday. I didn't know he was in MMQ these days. He won Winfield banjo in 1990 and mandolin in 1991.

wow, i was just thinking about him... probably my favorite mandolinist, certainly in my top two or three. i've been listening to his cds a lot lately.

i remember a while back he was selling his Gil in the classifieds, i felt a little sad... he made some great music on that sweet thing.
    Foley #268
    Janish #183
    Newell #22
    Weber D-hole Hyalite

Matt will be doing a mandolin workshop in Boise on Saturday the 23rd of July 2-4pm. Old Boise Guitar, Co. on main street.
    Come on out.
    Cheers,
    Becky
    Becky Smith

Blog Entries

Default Re: Matt Flinner

Bumping this old thread looking for suggestions.
    The Matt Flinner Trio's Music du Jour (released after the last post in this thread) has become one of my favorite mandolin recordings. Unfortunately, however, it is the only Flinner album I have.
    Because of that, and because I was so impressed with Matt's interview here on the Cafe, I'd like to pick-up a few more of his albums over time.
    So, please recommend one or more of Matt's albums, and, if you're listing more than one, tell me the order in which I should get them.
    Also, I'm not primarily a Bluegrass guy, so please do not base your recommendations upon the extend to which the album is a 'Bluegrass album'. Thanks.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Get the two with Todd Phillips & David Grier, great stuff!!!!

They're all good, in my opinion, especially the ones Art mentions (anything with Grier's sense of timing is mind altering), plus Latitude and The View From Here. Walking on the Moon is also a treat, but more in the jazz realm, so expect to hear some funk electric bass (you'll find it on the recommended listening list at jazzmando.com).

As for order, I would start with the two w/ Phillips & Grier. Art is right. And I think they'll fit right in the pocket of what's hooked you by the MFT.
    Last edited by blawson; Jun-24-2011 at 12:20pm. Reason: added requested ordering
    /* no comment */

Blog Entries

When this was launched I'd created a Matt Flinner section in the amazon.com aStore. Warning, financial interest! I'll make around 57 cents if you purchase one of these. Look out retirement, here I come. I wouldn't call much of his stuff straight bluegrass. From those links you can go directly to the MP3 pages and get audio previews which is a nice way to get an idea of what you're purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Get the two with Todd Phillips & David Grier, great stuff!!!!
    Agreed.

I love his tone and playing. One of the greats.

Get 'em all, after all, he supports a wife and two young kids with his music! Matt's one of the most innovative players out there, constantly pushing himself and he does it all - orginals, bluegrass, old-time, jazz, gypsy jazz, classical.

Blog Entries

Thanks very much.
    Scott; thank you for reminding me that the MC Amazon store has these. I'm happy to patronize.
    I think I'll start with the two with Todd Phillips & David Grier (that's Phillips, Grier & Flinner & Looking Back, right?), and maybe Latitude as well.
    David, I will eventually get them all, if I can every stop commissioning the building of custom mandolins.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

believe he fills the mandolin spot with the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble since Butch's (RIP) passing.

I would get all of his albums, but I keep coming back to the Phillips, Grier and Flinner albums. What I like most is that the first self titled album is all original music, with all three contributing the song writing (three a piece). Then the second album is a collection of traditional bluegrass and jazz music, all stamped with their great sound. To me it is a great two part showcase of their original and arranged music.

I'm quite partial to worked-out small ensemble music like that. When I had a chance a few months ago to see the Matt Flinner Trio live I took a peek during one of their breaks between sets. When they're doing material from their Music du Jour catalog the guitar player (Ross Martin) writes out the lead, chords and snippets of the harmony and countermelody parts on sheet for each tune. I guess that's part of how they can write new tunes literally every day when they're on tour and play those intricate arrangements for dozens and dozens of new and nearly-new tunes every night.

About that same time I had "discovered" the music of Jimmy Giuffre c. 1959 when he was working with Jim Hall and others in several different ensemble groupings. Giuffre had the same approach. They work out the arrangements in advance amongst the players and possibly elaborate or improvise certain bits here and there. But the really sweet, tight stuff was very carefully thought out in advance of sitting down to play.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I got to see the trio Friday, at the greatest little show. They were all set to do a small concert at an antique warehouse, but the A/C flaked out, and it was intolerably hot in there. This was at Eron Johnson's warehouse, where they sell cool old architectural features, like gargoyles, mantles, ironwork, etc. Mr. Johnson, the proprietor, is in the process of fixing up another old commercial building to be his residence. The front room is probably about 20'x30', and we had the show in there. Only about 60 folks there, max. Local guys Adam Agee (fiddle) and John Sousa (guitar) opened with a smokin' celtic set, with promoter and MFT bass player Eric T joining in for a couple of numbers. MFT followed with a bunch of their Music Du Jour stuff, and some older tunes. They had each written a new tune the day of the show, and they were all three incredibly good. Some serious talent there-- these guys can write completely original, fresh tunes (and learn them!) in one day. Awesome. Had a couple of guest artists, and there was an encore with the whole gang. A very memorable experience.