Thread: DAD Nickel Bronze or GHS Pure Nickel?

Default DAD Nickel Bronze or GHS Pure Nickel?

Hello folks. I have really been digging the Nickel strings on my Collings MT2V over the past year.

For those who have played both Daddario Nickel Bronze and GHS Pure Nickel strings, which do you prefer and why?

I used the search function, but did not see too many posts comparing the two.

Thanks

Default Re: DAD Nickel Bronze or GHS Pure Nickel?

I tried a set of GHS early on and liked them OK but initially I preferred the Monel Gibson Sam Bush strings and much preferred the D'Addario NB strings which I use on many of my mandolins. Before that I used J-74 or EXP-74 but I like the NB's better. I use them on guitars too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Like anything else, picks or strings will sound different on different mandolins and to different ears. I use the GHS pure nickel and really like them on my mandolin. I would have to say try each and see what works for you.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Tried both, prefer the Gibson and Curt Mangan Monels
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

The NB are too jangly for my taste. I like the thunk sounds of the nickels on my Ratliff. I’m about to try the different Monel options at the next couple of change cycles.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

6. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

GHS Strung f9 with them today for new they sound really good. About 5 mos ago used a set on collins mt sound good held up almost 3 mos. could gone longer . Been thinking i'll try NB.Hard to beat 10.5 E & 16 A , sound a long with nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Tried both, prefer the Gibson and Curt Mangan Monels
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    The NB are too jangly for my taste. I like the thunk sounds of the nickels on my Ratliff. I’m about to try the different Monel options at the next couple of change cycles.
    There are really not too many Monel options any more. AFAIK, only Curt Mangan makes Monel sets for mandolin. Martin will not make them for mandolin, only guitar and Gibson discontinued the Sam Bush strings. BTW what does Sam Bush play these days?

Not quite sure what jangly means. I found the Monels quite nice and the NBs just a little warmer, maybe a touch closer to J74s while still maintaining the transparency of the Monels. I think of the range starting from pure nickel-->Monel-->NB.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

One option no one is mentioning is the possibility of getting Martin Strings Retro (aka Tony Rice) strings packaged for mandolin. I've been pressing Martin to introduce these strings to the mandolin market precisely because I think they'll appeal to anyone interested in DAD NBs or similar compound strings. I love the Retros on my D-28 Authentic 1941, and would love to try Retro mandos on my Kimble.

Martin has responded to me that this is an idea they're exploring, but for 2-3 years now, they haven't actually introduced them. Maybe if more of us mandolin players besieged Martin with requests, they'd recognize there's market demand and actually start making and selling sets.

mcgroup53: I know you and I were posting about this to the Martin rep on Twitter last year or so. I don't really know how many folks are really interested in Monels. BTW have you tried the Mangan Monel strings? They have three gauges. Maybe we don't need Martin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It took me years asking GHS, but finally they did a bunch of testing on gauges and came out with the pure nickel. Martin may yet follow suit.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Yes, I tried the Magans on mandolin and liked them, I have a set I'm putting on my 1`6" Eastman archtop. I just like that Retro formulation from Martin and would like to see it available for mandolinists sometime, somehow

Aside from the Nickel Bronze strings, D'Addario has Stainless Steel and Nickel-Plated Steel options, both of which I think are severely underrated
    Owner of emlpicks.com