Thread: Kentucky km-600

Default Kentucky km-600

My first mando! I’ve been looking at some lower level Kentucky’s for a while but found this Kentucky KM-600 that had a crack repaired for what I thought was a good price

I was told it is from 2012 but I have been unable to find much more info on this model online and would be curious to hear if anyone is familiar or even has one at home?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1532029-EB5C-4F47-B1C1-9C261E134717.jpeg 
Views:	153 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	166716
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39DB089A-9CCD-4FC9-810D-4E760BC02E65.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	585.1 KB 
ID:	166717
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3420925-111E-43DC-B39C-627B8D072AAC.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	616.0 KB 
ID:	166715  

Default Re: Kentucky km-600

I used to have one just like it! They didn’t make that particular model long, I was thinking only 2009-2011, so I’m not sure about 2012 but I suppose it’s possible. I paid 399 for mine with case and thought it was a great buy for the money. All solid carved wood, ebony bridge and fret board (as opposed to the usual rosewood you get in that price range). Gold hardware and nice fit and finish. I think new it was 899 list, maybe 700 street.

There was a good reason this model didn’t last long. At the time Saga was having these made in a factory they never used before. As the dealers started getting them in they discovered a great many had a serious manufacturing flaw, a non functional truss rod. About half were like that and half were fine. Some dealers sent back the defective ones, but some got sold. There were so many returns Saga discontinued that model and stopped using that factory. So the odds of getting a good one without the defect is a 50-50 crap shoot at best. Unless you buy it from a reputable shop with an owner familiar with the defect, and the owner warranties that particular instrument, because he checked it for the defect personally. The above story is pretty well known and it keeps the value of that particular model low. Hopefully you didn’t pay over 300 for it with the crack. I would recommend checking the truss rod for proper function. If it works ok you’re good to go. I enjoyed mine while I had it. Lots of bang for the buck.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I used to have one just like it! They didn’t make that particular model long, I was thinking only 2009-2011, so I’m not sure about 2012 but I suppose it’s possible.
    That sounded right, I recall the final liquidation, I just can't quite place the date. I checked my emails just now and found a sale in feb 2013. I don't think they were still manufacturing them then, but they were apparently still in stock. So somewhere around that time (which would have meant made before 2013), the last ones were discounted and blown out.

Don's story is exactly what I remember. Severe neck issues on a HUGE percentage. It wasn't like a little messed up or questionable. They were either perfectly fine, or complete warped. There may have been some cases of somewhere in between, but I didn't see it. I sold a few, and then stopped carrying them.

No major cause for alarm. If yours is fine now, there shouldn't ever be a problem.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thank you both for the response!