I'm proud to announce that KPTZ.ORG will be broadcasting the four part (one hour each) radio show called "A Joyful Cry - Brazil's Choro Music" produced by WFMT and Julie Koidon, an author and flautist active in the Chicago Choro scene. Julie has generously allowed us to rebroadcast this show that was produced in 2015 for WFMT. It includes incredible never before heard versions of choro songs from the early 1900s to today and interviews with legends that Julie interviewed in Brazil as part of her book on Choro.

The shows will be as follows:
MONDAY April 23rd 8-9 PM (-8 GMT) -Program 1 - A History of Choro to the Present Day
TUESDAY April 24th 7-8 PM - Program 2 - Choro Meets Classical
WEDNESDAY April 25th 8:30 - 9:30 AM (note change!) - Program 3 - The Brass and Woodwind Virtuosos of Choro (this will air as part of my weekly show, Music2DrinkCoffee2 starting at 8AM but I'll put on the Choro at 8:30. I'll be discussing many of the events happening in Port Townsend to celebrate Jacob do Bandolim's 100th birthday and the 9th annual choro workshop and instructor's concert.
FRIDAY NIGHT - April 27th - 7PM to 8 - Program 4 - The String Players of Choro

You can tune in over the Internet by going to KPTZ.ORG and clicking on the Listen Live button. I hope you can find the time to tune in for this wonderful opportunity to hear the history of this great music that features mandolin so prominently. I believe we will have these shows in the archives via RadioFreeAmerica (the Program Archive button on the left side of our web page).

If you tune in, please let us know by posting something to our Facebook page, here, or email the station.

Enjoy! Viva o choro!