Thread: Mando Set-up Guide and Hello

Default Mando Set-up Guide and Hello

New to the forum, though I have peeked in throughout the years, and just wanted to give a thanks to Rob Meldrum for his free set-up guide. I just got an Eastman MD305 and it is set up pretty well, but it's nice to have a guide on hand. I have tried to start playing in the past, but the cheap mandolins were always nearly unplayable, even after they were supposedly "professionally set up." This one is working out, and I'm learning some fiddle tunes.

I have been a guitar player for roughly 30 years, most of it dabbling in jazz with varying success. I fell in love with the sound of the mandolin when I listened to the first David Grisman Quintet record while driving through the mountains about 20 years ago. He bridged the gap between jazz and bluegrass/acoustic string music in a way that really appealed to me, then and now. I'm planning on learning a bunch of old time tunes, Dawg stuff, as well as some choro. We'll see how it goes. It's pretty fun for now, and a nice break from guitar.

Default Re: Mando Set-up Guide and Hello

Welcome! Rob's book has indeed been a great resource!
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

Rob’s Mandolin Setup ebook is a great support document for setting up your mando. It shows you the right way to get it done.

Even if your instrument is already well set up, the book can give you insight into its proper adjustment and condition that you can use to keep it in tip top shape. Always nice to understand your mandolin as thoroughly as possible.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Thanks for the tip. I just emailed
    Robert can’t wait to see what he sends me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Even if your instrument is already well set up, the book can give you insight into its proper adjustment and condition that you can use to keep it in tip top shape. Always nice to understand your mandolin as thoroughly as possible.
    Indeed. Btw, I see you are in cville. I lived there until last summer when we moved to NM. I miss it so much. By far my favorite place I have lived. Hope to get back to that area on a permanent basis at some point.

How does one get in touch with Rob Meldrum for his setup guide?

Quote Originally Posted by kypicker2 View Post
    How does one get in touch with Rob Meldrum for his setup guide?
    Email him here

rob.meldrum@gmail.com

Put "Mandolin Setup" in the subject field. Mention MC and ask for his ebook. He will get back to you in a day or so.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams