Thread: Foggy mountain special

Default Foggy mountain special

Hi all,

I found online the mandolin tabs for foggy mountain special but I'm wondering how I could identify in which key the tabs is. I know that a lot of time the song begin and finish on the same note of the key it's in but I'll like your help to know in which key the tabs is. I identify that the tab start on a B but did the tab in the key of B?

Here is the tab: https://www.azchords.com/f/flattscru...bs-589456.html

And if it not in the key of G did someone have a tabs for this song in G?

Thanks in advance if someone could help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Foggy mountain special

I used this version in G to learn FMS by ear. Listening to it now I see I got maybe 80% but it has 3 nice variations that work well for starting out. A swinging good tune at this speed.

They have the tab over at Mandozine, 2 versions in G. http://www.mandozine.com/music/table...Stangeland.tef . You need tefview, the tabledit viewer(free version) to see and play it.

Thanks very much. I'll dowbload tef.

Songs begin on the third, and fifth, about as often as the root of the chord, could also be any other note. If the song sounds resolved it is most likely ending on the root, as least that is what this old theory illiterate picker has noticed.

Blog Entries

post deleted in order to take my foot out of my mouth
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bennyb View Post
    They have the tab over at Mandozine, 2 versions in G. http://www.mandozine.com/music/table...Stangeland.tef . You need tefview, the tabledit viewer(free version) to see and play it.
    and 10 years of hard practice to play it

They have another version in G, a little simpler. Go to the Search page and put in 'foggy mountain' ( w/o quotes), or any part of a title to find to tune you're looking for.

Hi Carlos, only 1 bar in this town!
    Yes most tunes begin with the tonic. So try doing a first finger FFcP on the E string seventh fret, it’s a B -or go to the third string 9 fret ( notice the diagonal jump to the B an octave below, or best, do a first finger B scale on the 2 string 2fret, another B). Do you cover the same notes as in the TAB?
    The next option is that the tune begins with the fifth, so it might be in E. Same first finger scale test starting on 3 string 2 fret, an E.
    Another one is to look for slides, a lot of bluegrass tunes slide around the minor 3 to major 3. This one seems to! Which would make it in E. Another way is to check all the first notes of each measure, or this one huge measure.
    Are there two notes that are a tone apart to begin every other measure? Then it may be in dorian mode, eg. Am to G, to Am to G to Am... for three minutes. ie. A dorian.
    There’s an app also, it’ll tell you if you want to try it like that.
    Or play each note to a tuner and write the number of # in the tune.
    Another way is to play the note you think is the key eg. 3rd string 2fret then 4th/2fret then 2nd/2nd fret (it’s 4th and 5th notes) -do seem to they fit? The 4th is often a decider.

Thanks atsunrise for that explanation. It will help me.