Thread: Thumbs up on stainless steel strings

Default Thumbs up on stainless steel strings

I've been struggling to find the key to getting the sound I want out my Lafferty LA-2 oval hole. This dissatisfaction only increased after I got my 1921 Gibson A model. I've tried a variety of strings. I finally decided to try stainless steel. First, I tried stainless steel flatwound. A nice sound, but the mandolin still spoke too darkly, and even thuddy as the strings aged. After installing a set of D'Addario roundwound on my Breedlove with satisfying results, I put some on the Lafferty several days ago. I am happy with the sound. It is exactly what I have been after. Bright and clear in the trebles, and breathy and full in the bass with a satisfying clarity. I will be happy if these strings maintain their tone over time, but they are so inexpensive that I can put up with more frequent changes.

My requirements for a mandolin are specific. I use the mandolin as part of a duo with my fiddle playing wife. We play Celtic, old time, and contra dance tunes. I need a mandolin tone which is as rich ad full as I can get for rhythm, with sweetness and clarity for lead. Hence the oval holed A models.

Default Re: Thumbs up on stainless steel strings

I have always thought SS or nickel strings ( what I call white strings) sound best on an oval hole. But remember each mandolin has a string it likes best, you job as it's owner is to find that string. The poor ole mandolin can't speak words to tell you, but it sure can let you know when you find it.

I should have known. I switched to "white" strings (Martin Retro) last year on my Gallagher rosewood dread because they gave it a more "vintage" tone than P/B. I still use P/B on my Breedlove guitar and Martin 000.

Each instrument has a string it likes best.

I pretty much switched to D’Addario Nickel Bronze for both my main guitars and mandolins. I liked the Martin Retro and Gibson Sam Bush (both Monel nickel alloy) on guitars and mandolins respectively, but Gibson discontinued the SB strings and Martin does not make the Retro strings for mandolin. Besides I like the tone of the NB strings a bit better on both instruments.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1