Thread: Music for the young and young at heart

Default Music for the young and young at heart

Dear mandolinist friends around the world,

writing for top-tier professionals in their prime is of course a great honor and a privilege for any composer. Yet talent is to be nourished from childhood on, and no effort is more fruitful or more prescient than providing musical challenge and encouragement to young mandolinists.

It has therefore been a great pleasure for me to compose a brief work titled The Song Inside for the younger, early teens division at the Estudiantina Bergamascacompetition that took place in Italy earlier this spring, a highly visible and significant event for the mandolin.

The festival has decided to upload the full event and not to divide it into shorter, individual videos. I am delighted to share with you the performance of talented young mandolinist Tanja Puharić, who won the prize for the best interpretation of my work. (Her performance begins at 1:01:31)

I hope you will find her performance as splendid as have I. If anyone wishes to have a copy of the score, it is free for the asking; please just zap me a message via the Café, giving me your email address, and I will be happy to reply with the score attached. It is meant for the young and the young at heart alike.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Music for the young and young at heart

Victor,

I am just back from Bergamo, unfortunately, the Bergamo Orchestra was not performing the week I was there. This is a beautiful composition performed by a wonderful young player. I whole heartedly agree with your opening comment that talent should be nourished from the earliest age and beyond.

Thank you for yet another wonderful composition.

Michael.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Default Re: Music for the young and young at heart

Thanks a million, Michael. Indeed, a wonderful young player with a fine sense for the mandolin's sonority. I couldn't be happier.

Three cheers to Tanja!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)