Thread: Absolute beginner, which of these 2, Kentucky vs Gretsch

Default Absolute beginner, which of these 2, Kentucky vs Gretsch

First, a little background, been wanting to learn guitar for all my life, but being a lefty in a righty world, it's been more than frustrating. I've tried to learn right handed to no avail, now at almost 57 yrs old, I'm staring to learn lefty, but only just a few weeks into it, and actually starting to learn, and over the years have learned theory and fretboard knowledge fairly well. But....I went to the Bluegrass festival in Parson WV last year and fell in love with the Mandolin, now, before I get too involved in guitar, I'm thinking about switching gears to the Mandolin, I just love the sound, and it's been calling me ever since.

This brings me to one of 2 Mandolins I've been looking at(based on MY affordability and availability). I'm looking at the Kentucky KM380, read all the reviews on here, and the Gretsch New Yorker Deluxe G9300 or 9320 model.
    I will be learning bluegrass with this, and, I want to know if either of these can be (even if temporary) have any issues doing a professional left hand conversion. No, I'm not learning right handed, just my choice. If all works out, I'll change them back and buy a left handed instrument after my playing progresses to a reasonable level to justify the new purchase.

Which one?

Funds are tight, new grand-baby to spoil, wife's going back to college to finish degree, so others aren't a consideration, and I don't want a cheapie no resale value to start.
    Thanks in advance, hope I didn't constrict the opinions too much
    Rich

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Absolute beginner, which of these 2, Kentucky vs Gretsch

Kentucky.

I started mandolin when I was 56 also. Wish I'd done it earlier. Best wishes to you. Have fun.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

The Kentucky. After not playing for 20 years I began again at 50. My 70th birthday is this summer.

Thanks guys, I read a lot of reviews all positive on the Gretsch, but I had a feeling most here would have said the Kentucky after reading about it here on the Cafe. Glad I'm not the only feller getting up in years before deciding to learn.

Another vote for Kentucky. I would stay away from the 140 but pretty much anything else and you can’t go wrong.

I did play the all mahogany Gretsch and it didn’t sound half bad. But you are comparing apples with oranges, really. That Gretsch is all solid mahogany pressed into shape. Most if not all Kentucky mandolins are solld spruce and maple carved into shape (although they did make some laminate F styles through the years). All of the other Gretsch models are at least partially laminate and sound awful. The all mahogany one would be ok if you were looking for a funky kind of folksy rootsy tone like the old Kay’s and Harmonys but the tone of a fully carved instrument, especially with the tried and true combo of spruce and maple. Will be much more sophisticated and versatile.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by RHDean View Post
    Thanks guys, I read a lot of reviews all positive on the Gretsch, but I had a feeling most here would have said the Kentucky after reading about it here on the Cafe. Glad I'm not the only feller getting up in years before deciding to learn.
    I stopped playing for 23 years. Began again midway between my 64th and 65th birthday.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Plus one on the Kentucky. If you can get a good used KM 250, KM 505 or KM 500 for approximately what the KM 380 costs, you might want to try one of those. I am a couple of months from my 70th birthday and took up mandolin in four months ago. It's a great sideline from the guitar after 55 years on six strings. Happy picking!

Pulling the trigger on the Kentucky guys, I'll post pics when I get it. Thanks again, who knows, I may try and play it right handed.

Dang...you gotta be quick when it comes to buying one of these Kentucky's at a good price, I had 2 others try to buy it while I was making the purchase, whew, it's mine!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RHDean For This Useful Post:

I am 72 and just started playing the Mandolin ! I love it !
    Just keep on keeping on my friend !

Thanks

I have actually converted a few KM-380 mandolins to lefties. No issues. It will just need a new nut and bridge saddle.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

RHDean, I also took up mandolin in my late-50s, am now in my 60s and getting to "advanced beginner" stage where I am not terrible but far from as good as I want to be, but having a blast! It is such a fun instrument, and very portable.

I started mandolin 6 years ago at 65. I love the GRETSCH NEW YORKER. I have no idea of the Kentucky. I have been a guitarist for over 50 years. Try it an see if you like it.

Chris

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by F Christopher Anderson View Post
    I started mandolin 6 years ago at 65. I love the GRETSCH NEW YORKER. I have no idea of the Kentucky. I have been a guitarist for over 50 years. Try it an see if you like it.

Chris
    You realize that this thread is almost 4 years old old? I sure hope the op isn't still trying to decide

17. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

F Christopher -- you made a couple posts yesterday on old threads. Some threads carry on for decades; they're generally on generic subjects like "mandolin sightings," "women with mandolins," "mandolin that won't get a bid on eBay," stuff like that.

Other threads, especially those where a person's asking a specific question -- regarding a mandolin purchase, a particular problem or issue, something similar -- are pretty time-dependent. This one started four years ago, and the likelihood that RHDean is still thinking over the choice between Kentucky and Gretsch is pretty low.

I'm guessing you Googled your Gretsch mandolin, and these two threads came up. Just suggesting you check the dates of prior postings and see if it's worth jumping in. Old threads do get revived if a person finds that an earlier discussion pertains to their current situation, but I don't think that happened here.

Welcome aboard the Cafe, and hope you find your participation enjoyable and informative!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Kentucky for sure.
    My first mandolin was a Gretsch New Yorker, and it is OK, but the neck is thick and the tone is just meh...
    The Kentucky starter models I have played were far better for Bluegrass.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)