Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Ry Cooder's New Recording - The Prodigal Son

Default Re: Thoughts on Ry Cooder's New Recording - The Prodigal Son

Haven't heard the new album besides the videos, but some of the first non-bluegrass mandolin I dug was his playing, particularly Billy the Kid and Hey Porter, both from Into the Purple Valley. He's pretty intense in interviews, but a real encyclopedia of American (and more) music and instruments.

I bought the album based on the videos. so far I like the video versions better than anything on the record. The production seems to get in the way. Maybe I need to listen some more!

bro.craig, i'd recommend more listening....my initial take was similar...I missed some of Ry's Guitar playing in the studio version but then the CD wouldn't leave my car deck or home listening for a week or two...when I went back to watch the videos again they seemed lacking...I think that means they are both unique/great on their own merits RF

I met Ry Cooder whan I was taking guitar lessons at McCabe's Guitar Store in the 1960's. Ry and Taj Mahal were often seen jamming in the back room. He was always pleasant and helpful to me and I've followed his music since them. He's a great musician.
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

5. The following members say thank you to Zigeuner for this post: