Thread: Which one would you take?

Default Which one would you take?

Found this while surfing the web this morning. Recent flooding in Grand Forks, BC.

Someone has their priorities straight!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32977859_10155131610861371_3355828827933638656_o.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	167863
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Denman John For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which one would you take?

Yup. It has gone from 'Global Warming' to 'Global Warning'.
    Hope you recover from the disaster in good shape.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Blog Entries

My mandolins would be down on my list of things to recover from my home safely in a flood before they were damaged. Pets then prints (photos) and my PC or at least the hard drive holding all my digital photos would likely be saved first.

I hope the water recede quickly and folks can get their lives back on track quickly.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

It's a sobering thought. In my own case, I doubt there would be time. The local threat is the potential "killer quake" here in the coastal PNW, if the Cascadia subduction zone lets go. There won't be a warning like you get with rising floodwaters or approaching forest fire. It's just get out of the house RIGHT NOW, and hope there is something salvageable later on.

The good news is that our house is up on a more stable rock hill than the sandy soil closer to the water. Too high for the tsunami risk too. The bad news is that the house is 130 years old and still sitting on the original foundation...

I have failed to understand that after these perils subside people go back and rebuild a house in the same place, the mud slides in Calif. the floods in Texas, New Orleans etc...I would get to higher ground and re build, one thing my home owners insurance wanted to know was flood possibilities and if there seemed to be some I would have to add a "rider" to the main policy...

Willie

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie Poole For This Useful Post:

===========

As a fan of cheap guitars, I find it interesting that nothing he is carrying seems to be worth more than $100, or so . . . .

Although I have never been hit by a flood, tornado, earthquake, volcano, swarm of locusts, etc., several years ago my house was robbed. The drug addict women who robbed it took my daughter's $30 boom box, but left the $3,000 guitar in my closet. (Okay, so maybe not all of my guitars are cheap guitars.) Anyhow, I thank the Good Lord for stupid robbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I have failed to understand that after these perils subside people go back and rebuild a house in the same place, the mud slides in Calif. the floods in Texas, New Orleans etc...I would get to higher ground and re build, one thing my home owners insurance wanted to know was flood possibilities and if there seemed to be some I would have to add a "rider" to the main policy...

Willie
    We have a similar issue on the coast at Va Beach. Beach erosion endangers beach houses regularly. Their answer is to spend millions driving barriers of pylons hundreds of feet into the beach shore to hold back the encroaching waves. They can't face the fact that an ever - shifting shoreline is a natural process. They will spare no expense to protect their million dollar vacation homes.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

10. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post

Willie
    One of the problems is that what is left is usually the land, often 1/2 the value of the total property or more. The sale value of the land isn't enough to just abandon it. Further the insurance often only pays out if you rebuild or offers only a fractional value if you cash out. I live in a wildfire area so this has been on my mind of recent.

Alan D.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dunwell For This Useful Post:

From Jamie Stanek - " ...and my PC or at least the hard drive ..". Jamie - back up your PC hard drive onto a ''Flash drive''. I have my whole PC on 64GB Flash drive which i update on a daily basis. I learned my lesson the hard way. Using my PC 'cleaner' one day,i suddenly discovered that i'd selected the wrong action & it was merrily deleting all my files !!. It took me days to recover some of my data,& some of it had gone for ever,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Or save on 'the cloud'.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

15. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunwell View Post
    One of the problems is that what is left is usually the land, often 1/2 the value of the total property or more. The sale value of the land isn't enough to just abandon it. Further the insurance often only pays out if you rebuild or offers only a fractional value if you cash out. I live in a wildfire area so this has been on my mind of recent.

Alan D.
    First rebuild, THEN relocate - is that the way to go?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Awesome! But he needs a canoe for all of those paddles