Thread: Praise for the Kentucky KM-150

Default Praise for the Kentucky KM-150

A couple weeks ago I tried a KM-150 hanging on the wall at Gryphon (about $400 including tax, no case) and was blown away by how nice it sounded. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it wasn't ugly. It honestly sounded better to me than other Kentuckys at 2x the price hanging on the same wall. It was set up well too.

It is head, shoulders, knees, and ankles above the Kentucky 250 that I started on in 2001 (and have since donated). It's not even in the same league. I almost bought it on the spot as I've been looking for a cheap mandolin for camping and other travel. I decided to sleep on it, and wouldn't you know, a week or so later a KM-150 shows up on Craigslist for $250. I suppose I could have tried to bargain the price down, but I didn't try.

It was bought from Elderly a couple years ago, but is largely unplayed. It didn't sound quite as good as the one from Gryphon, but still impressive with corroded strings, so I took a chance. Now that it's restrung, and the bridge adjusted a little, I'm quite taken with it. Carved top and back at this price? Astounding.

Now my plan is to make a lefty bridge saddle and nut for it, so I can it switch back and forth fairly easily. Then my "sinister" wife can take it along on her adventures too. In the meantime, I'm having fun just playing the darn thing.

Seems like we're living in a great era to be in the market for an entry level mando.

Dan

2. The following members say thank you to danmills for this post:

Default Re: Praise for the Kentucky KM-150

I just got a very gently played 2016 KM-156 and I agree with your assessment. This particular one was originally from Folkmusician before I got it secondhand, so it is well set up as well. My rugged old antique mandolins have a certain charm but it is nice to at last have a smooth playing instrument younger than I am and I feel like my playing ability has already gone up a notch.

''....honestly sounded better to me than other Kentuckys at 2x the price hanging on the same wall. ''

Since purchasing my KM 150 about 5 years back ( 260.00 NEW ) I have consistently found the same , albeit thee are a couple of new models I haven't had the chance to check out in person . This thing is loud and fat .

5. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

I have found this to be true of both the Kentuckys and Eastmans. The KM 150 and the Eastman 305 are good mandolins. What you get climbing the ladder is fancy, not so much tone.

I'd advise a beginner to buy either and then come back in six months and play a Weber, Northfield, or Collings to get the MAS juices flowing. Buy one of those KM 150s and keep it for a beater. Can't go wrong.

Gryphon and Sylvan are both dangerous places.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I like the KM-150. In the step up from the KM-150 to the KM-250 you get better tuning machines, radiused fretboard, larger fretwire. All of which I think are worth the extra $100.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Sometimes I have tried out a Kentucky 150 series or 250 and thought they were better than most mandolins selling for 2 or 3 times as much, even those made by Kentucky. I have always preferred them over Eastman dollar for dollar.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

11. The following members say thank you to Capt. E for this post:

Cafe member Jordan Riehm has some very nice videos that really show what a KM-150 can do. For example

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vetus scotia For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

This "The Old North Woods" song really grows on you! I had never heard it and now I am obsessed. Thanks for posting!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by danmills View Post
    A couple weeks ago I tried a KM-150 hanging on the wall at Gryphon (about $400 including tax, no case) and was blown away by how nice it sounded. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it wasn't ugly. It honestly sounded better to me than other Kentuckys at 2x the price hanging on the same wall. It was set up well too.

It is head, shoulders, knees, and ankles above the Kentucky 250 that I started on in 2001 (and have since donated). It's not even in the same league. I almost bought it on the spot as I've been looking for a cheap mandolin for camping and other travel. I decided to sleep on it, and wouldn't you know, a week or so later a KM-150 shows up on Craigslist for $250. I suppose I could have tried to bargain the price down, but I didn't try.

It was bought from Elderly a couple years ago, but is largely unplayed. It didn't sound quite as good as the one from Gryphon, but still impressive with corroded strings, so I took a chance. Now that it's restrung, and the bridge adjusted a little, I'm quite taken with it. Carved top and back at this price? Astounding.

Now my plan is to make a lefty bridge saddle and nut for it, so I can it switch back and forth fairly easily. Then my "sinister" wife can take it along on her adventures too. In the meantime, I'm having fun just playing the darn thing.

Seems like we're living in a great era to be in the market for an entry level mando.

Dan
    Phenomenal Sound I have my KM 150.Here is a video with me playing it with Davo on flying basslines:

https://www.facebook.com/gaetano.bev...7632673626961/

Guess I’ll revive this thread. I bought a km 150 from Guitar Center ( open box great price) after an aborted attempt at getting a Washburn m1S which I returned. Bought as a travel/jam/beater. Having purchased from GC, I fully expected it to have set up issues. I had all my set up tools ready. Nut-even and correct height, 12th fret string height perfect. No high or sharp frets. Neck straight. Intonation was flat-moved the bridge a bit and voila-set up complete. So, it played well- it’s a flat fretboard which I prefer. Tone wise even with the stock strings was surprisingly good. Once I found the right pick and played it a while it woke up and I was surprised how good it sounded. I gathered from the serial number that it was made in 2022. No blems. Couldn’t be more pleased. If you’re in the market for a starter, beater, etc this is a good way to go. YMMV.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    Guess I’ll revive this thread. I bought a km 150 from
    I got one 2 years ago. Thought I could upgrade later. No need to. Set up just right out of the box, no fiddling required. It's got a spruce top. Spruce is spruce, what more do you need?

Andy Hatfield on David Benedict's channel explains all this with his $100 Kentucky.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlMZ6iPeNI&t=1006s

Have said this before on a few different threads, the KM-150 is a very good mandolin. Finnish musician Arto Jarvela uses a KM-150 as his main performing mandolin these days. (Look up the band Tallari on either Facebook or YouTube for examples).
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

The Eastman md305 gets a lot of love around here... especially for folks looking for a first Mandolin. But, I really think the Kentucky km150 is right on par. The ones I've played anyhow. I prefer the softer finish of the Eastman however.

Congratulations and happy picking