Thread: Perípatos in Oregon

Default Perípatos in Oregon

Dear mandolin friends around the world,

Happy Memorial Day to those Stateside, Happy Whit Monday to the Greeks, Happy Monday to the rest.

I am pleased to share with you a lovely recent performance of my Perípatos (meaning “stroll”) by the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra. This composition is my own, humble homage to Manos Hatzidakis and the subtly melancholy charm with which he captured and evoked his experiences of our beloved Athens. It is a simple, song-like piece that traces the steps and memories that dreams are made of...

I hope you all enjoy it. For those of you who would like to try their hand at it, I would be just as happy to share with you the score and parts in numerous, alternative notations for whatever instruments may be available. Please just drop me a message with your email if interested and I'll reply with the score and parts attached.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Perípatos in Oregon

Victor, I am surprised not to see more of OMO-mates here, thanking you for bith the music and the recognition. I will get word out that this has been posted. And THANKS!
    Jim Imhoff

Victor,

I only frequent the Cafe on a weekly, or so, basis, as I am on a diet.

I would like to add my thanks to you for allowing us to take a stroll with you along the pathways of Athens and for allowing us to share it via this video.

Michael
    OMO Member
    MT Productions

Thank you, both. Very kind of you. Michael, speaking of diet a personal account:

I devoted a full decade of my creative life (2002-2012) to writing for my beloved mandolin. At the end of that happy decade, I made a conscious decision to go back and write for all the other media that I had built my composing career on. You can say, perhaps, that I have accomplished my goal as my main body of work has been my eight chamber operas and one of them is already slated for an exciting revival in Estonia this coming September. Yet my love for the mandolin never diminished, of course.

So, when the CMSA invited me to be Composer-in-Residence last fall, it felt like a bit of a stroll down Memory Lane, I must admit. It ultimately turned out to be something much, much bigger and more wonderful than I had ever expected: a watershed moment, after which several mandolin orchestras picked up my Perípatos and performed it beautifully, as did the OMO recently. Imagine, the New York Mandolin Orchestra is performing it tomorrow and several others have done so since our happy days together in Milwaukee.

I couldn't be happier.

Three cheers to all mandolin ensembles, anywhere in the world!

Victor

6. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Just got back from yet another lovely performance of Perípatos, this time by the New York Mandolin Orchestra. There's an honor inherent in having one's work programmed by a 94-yr-old mandolin institution in our city.

Cheers to my local mando-friends!

Victor

Here's a different question for you Vicotr (other than my pestering for a mandocello solo): Have you done any works for choir and mandolin orchestra? I am a retired choral director and I keep thinking of pieces I have done with strings (Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, Schubert) that might work with mandolins. Last year Seattle MO did a Messiah, and we heard a Vivaldi Gloria at Valley Forge CMSA. Thoughts...?

Not yet, at least not for choir and plucked orchestra— although the idea sounds quite attractive. So far I only have an arrangement of Fauré's sublime Cantique de Jean Racine for plucked ensemble but it can't really be performed with a choir as I have transposed it from the eye-crossing, finger-twisting, mind-boggling 147 flats of the original score (D-flat minor and all, Q-flat, you name it ) to a string-user-friendlier D-natural.

As for the future, the possibilities are endless...

Cheers,

Victor

I have done the beautiful work many times with choirs and organ. The arrangements/editions I used were in a reasonable key, i can't remember but probably F major, possibly Ab. Would your score and parts be in a format (Finale,e.g.) to be transposed? I have been thinking aboiut a future presentation of choral with strings pieces that would work "plucked." The Cantique is one; I also think Mozart's Laudate Dominum (from Vespers) and Schubert Mass in G (Kyrie, Credo maybe).
    Yeah, the future...
    Jim