Thread: 2000 flatiron festival f5 truss rod might need changing

Default 2000 flatiron festival f5 truss rod might need changing

Hi, i bought a flatiron f5 made in Nashville. The rod was sticking out quite a bit. My luthier
    managed to get a new nut in there along with 4 washers. Over the past several month I got him to try tightening it 3 times. At this point i’m hoping that with the summer heat and a lot of humidity the neck will react positively. I also switched down from ghs a 270
    mediums to dadd ej73’s. If I understood correctly the ancor is shifting so the next step is to remove the fret board and change the rod.

I’m relatively new to this site and I appreciate everything i’ve read. I welcome any feedback.

Default Re: 2000 flatiron festival f5 truss rod might need changing

I had a Gibson that the truss rod would not keep the neck straight. I took the fingerboard off, carefully cut out the filler strip, deepened the slot and make a new filler, reglue the board. It has worked perfectly now for a couple years. Same thing for yours, except you won't need to deepen the slot, but repair or replace the rod, everything else about the same.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Adrian Minarovic

That would be fairly straightforward repair for experienced repairman. Removing the board and excavating the truss rod filler is simple. Much depends on style of anchor used how easy the actual rod removal would be. Frank Ford has at least one article on changing the truss rod on mandolin on frets.com.
    Adrian

4. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Thanks a lot for the info guys. would it be a good idea to have it replaced with a double action truss rod

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Mtl Seán View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info guys. would it be a good idea to have it replaced with a double action truss rod
    The few Flatirons from the era I handled had quite heavy necks so I would choose lighter single action trussrod. Also depends on how deep is the pocket in headstock if the double action rod will fit...
    Adrian

I have a '99 Festival that had a similar problem. The neck wouldn't respond to truss rod adjustments. I posted on this problem here a long time ago. It turns out that the builder had sanded right through the threads on one side of the rod--they had been bevelled right off. My luthier was able to get it to work, but if I recall correctly he had to deepen the pocket on the headstock a bit where you access the end of the rod. The bevelled-off portion of the rod was on the underside and wasn't at all apparent visually. I'll try to find the old thread on this. The fix was low cost and solved the problem without having to replace the truss rod.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

8. The following members say thank you to SGraham for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SGraham View Post
    I have a '99 Festival that had a similar problem. ... I'll try to find the old thread on this. ...

"1999 Flatiron and Luthier CSI"

That's the thread! Thank you; that was kindly done.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

11. The following members say thank you to SGraham for this post:

Once again thank you all for your input. I found the 2014 thread interesting. I don’t have a lot of mandolins to compare up here. But I can tell you that compared to the other 4 my dad laid on me if I hit it right it sounds good to me if I can get a healthier action I’ll be very happy. You spend a lot time on those little suckers. You shouldn’t walk alway feeling like you gotta ice your hand for a couple hours.