Thread: Shopping a mandolin from abroad

Post Shopping a mandolin from abroad

This is the question. What do you think about?
    I live in Iran and in local stores you could just find Stagg M40s (all solid), but I have somebody in Europe and I could order The Loar LM170 (top solid spruce) or Kentucky KM140 (top solid spruce) or MAYBE Gretsch G9310 (top solid mahogany).
    Which way is more reasonable? Shopping abroad or shopping from local stores and playing Stagg?

Default Re: Shopping a mandolin from abroad

Aside from the solid woods, the Stagg is pretty much the same as the other low-cost mandolins, such as a Rogue. For instance, same grade tuners, no adjustable truss rod, etc...

I would personally try for the other three is possible.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Ramtin 

Default Re: Shopping a mandolin from abroad

I answered on your other thread, I think purchasing from a reliable dealer is perfectly safe as long as your customs doesn't give you any problems. I purchased two instruments from Canada (our neighbor to the north) in the last couple years from private sellers, but I communicated enough with them to not fear sending the money. If distance is your worry, the distances in Europe are smaller than east coast to west coast of the United States. My initial mandolin was a the Loar LM 220 which was a nice instrument, and I own a Kentucky KM 805 that I got in trade, but have never played the instruments you are considering. I would trust Robert's recommendation above.

5. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Ramtin