Thread: where can i get a fretboard

Default where can i get a fretboard

Im building a bowlback and have had a hard time finding a complete fretboard for sale. Any ideas where I can find one?

Default Re: where can i get a fretboard

Stu Mac (Stewart MacDonald) has fretboards, and can slot it for you with different scale lengths.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Also, Allen Guitars and LMII sell pre-slotted fretboards.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Zoomp 

I've had good luck with Allen Guitars.
    They've only made one mistake on a 'board that I ordered, and they very promptly replaced the 'board no charge.

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Zoomp 

Wondering what the OP means by "a complete fretboard". Do you mean the fret slots are already cut? Last time I looked for fretboards at StewMac a few months ago, they only offered pre-slotted boards and nothing in a 13" scale length which is what most of the old bowlbacks I've seen have. I've had good blank boards from Allen and LMII. They will cut the slots for your scale length for an added fee. For a 13" scale, I cut the slots myself.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

A 13" scale is almost exactly a 13 7/8" scale less one fret.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    Was thinking that, but didn't make it over to the shop to measure.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

A few years ago I bought one from one of the Vietnamese ebay vendors, Bruce Wei, the other (Anatoni?). I know their build quality is bad - often seen on ebay falling apart- but I was very happy with the custom scale complete fretboard he made for me, fret wires installed, levelled and polished. Maybe I was just lucky that time.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    ...I was very happy with the custom scale complete fretboard he made for me, fret wires installed, levelled and polished. Maybe I was just lucky that time.
    That's really what I was wondering. Is the OP looking for something already cut to shape, inlayed, fretted, and ready to glue on? I didn't know you could buy such a thing.

Interesting. I need more coffee to think through this, but it seems on the surface that the longer scale places the bridge 7/8" or so further from the nut no matter how many frets. The first bowlback I repaired required a new fretboard. The cant was 13 5/16" from the nut, so a 13" scale placed the bridge ahead of the cant and close to the cross braces, and 13 7/8" placed the bridge behind the cant and a good ways from the cross braces. Very different structural and sound considerations, not to mention different bridge heights. The old shellac showed that a bridge had been in both locations.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."

13. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

Zoomp 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haywood View Post
    That's really what I was wondering. Is the OP looking for something already cut to shape, inlayed, fretted, and ready to glue on? I didn't know you could buy such a thing.

Interesting. I need more coffee to think through this, but it seems on the surface that the longer scale places the bridge 7/8" or so further from the nut no matter how many frets. The first bowlback I repaired required a new fretboard. The cant was 13 5/16" from the nut, so a 13" scale placed the bridge ahead of the cant and close to the cross braces, and 13 7/8" placed the bridge behind the cant and a good ways from the cross braces. Very different structural and sound considerations, not to mention different bridge heights. The old shellac showed that a bridge had been in both locations.
    Tom I think the point is that you'd trim the 13-7/8" s.l. board at fret slot one for a +/- 13" s.l., that's what I'd do if I wanted a 13" scale length board.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Jess L.Zoomp 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Tom I think the point is that you'd trim the 13-7/8" s.l. board at fret slot one for a +/- 13" s.l., that's what I'd do if I wanted a 13" scale length board.
    Ahha... Thanks, Mark!
    Tom

"Feel the wood."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    ... I think the point is that you'd trim the 13-7/8" s.l. board at fret slot one for a +/- 13" s.l., that's what I'd do if I wanted a 13" scale length board.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too, almost, anyway... I'm thinking that could be a good opportunity to install a zero fret (in what had started out as the 1st-fret slot of the new shortened board). I like zero frets.

But... if one was *not* planning to use a zero fret, I'm not sure you could just cut through the existing 1st-fret slot on the new board and put a nut there, wouldn't the nut be slightly misplaced, by an amount equal to the distance between the center of the fret vs the edge of the fret slot? Below is one of my half-ignorant quickie not-really-to-scale digital sketches... (experts please correct me if this is wrong thinking) ... the yellow highlighted area is what I think would be the problem if simply putting a nut there after cutting right on through the 1st fret slot to shorten the fretboard. (Er, well, I guess the nut could have a shim added to it on end of fretboard equal to the width of the yellow area, that would solve that problem...) Anyway, seems to me there would be no problem (guessing & speculation follows!) if trimming the new fretboard just *slightly* above the 1st-fret slot (as shown in drawing below) and then installing a new zero-fret there instead of a nut. I've only thought about this, I haven't actually done it, so I might be totally wrong. Maybe it's such a slight amount it wouldn't matter... Anyway, here's my drawing, and due to drawer ineptitude it's NOT TO SCALE:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fret.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	168308

Somewhere out there on the internet is probably a proper diagram that shows what I'm trying to get at (links are welcome!), but I figured it would take me longer to search for an existing diagram (since I don't even know what search terms to use, that's always the hard part about finding stuff online) so I just made my own digital sketch above, based on trying to remember what a fret cross-section looks like.

The distance you are indicating, center of slot to edge of slot, would be about .012". Trust me, you would not hear the difference. In fact, due to the sharpening effect of fretting at the first few frets (where the string is stiffer because of the anchor point), the error would be in the right direction to somewhat compensate for that.
    Add to that the luthier's option to adjust the front edge of a nut for better intonation (something we can't do with a 0-fret), and we're fully in non-issue territory here, IMO.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    The distance you are indicating, center of slot to edge of slot, would be about .012". Trust me, you would not hear the difference. In fact, due to the sharpening effect of fretting at the first few frets (where the string is stiffer because of the anchor point), the error would be in the right direction to somewhat compensate for that.
    Add to that the luthier's option to adjust the front edge of a nut for better intonation (something we can't do with a 0-fret), and we're fully in non-issue territory here, IMO.
    Excellent, good to know! Thanks for the explanation.

I was def looking for a complete fretboard. With frets. Easy to find for guitar and ukulele. I will look at the leads posted here. Thanks to everyone!!!! ¡

Paolo

22. The following members say thank you to Zoomp for this post:

ordered from allen guitars !!!!
    Zoomp Instruments and Luthier!!¡¡!!¡¡

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    great idea!!!!!!!!
    Zoomp Instruments and Luthier!!¡¡!!¡¡