Thread: RIP Stacy Phillips

Default RIP Stacy Phillips

Stacy Phillips passed yesterday after suffering a massive heart attack on Sunday. He was the best dobro player I’ve ever heard, wrote several instructional books for dobro and fiddle, and even won a Grammy. There is a summary of his life, music and some of the mandolin players he played with over the years at here.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dave Bradford For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: RIP Stacy Phillips

Very sad news. An amazing talent and teacher and will be very missed! RF

Sad indeed. RIP.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

So sorry to hear. His friends and family are in my prayers.
    Chuck

===========

I never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Phillips, but I knew many people here in CT who knew and/or worked with him, and never heard a bad word about him.

Requiescat In Pace.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Ach...

RIP!
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bradford View Post
    Stacy Phillips passed yesterday after suffering a massive heart attack on Sunday. He was the best dobro player I’ve ever heard, wrote several instructional books for dobro and fiddle, and even won a Grammy. There is a summary of his life, music and some of the mandolin players he played with over the years at here.
    The linked article is a wonderful tribute.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Very sad. RIP.

Registered User wellvis@well.com's Avatar

I wish I didn't have to thank you for posting this. Stacy was an amazing player, author of many instructional methods for dobro and fiddle, and master transcriber among his many talents.
    Brad's Page of Steel:
    http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
    A website devoted to acoustic & electric steel guitars

He got a lot of people started on dobro with The Dobro Book (1977), one of those iconic texts from Oak Publications.

But probably his greatest work is the two-volume Phillips Collection of American Fiddle Tunes, published by Mel Bay. Just a landmark work.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesserules For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    But probably his greatest work is the two-volume Phillips Collection of American Fiddle Tunes, published by Mel Bay. Just a landmark work.
    Those books are a central part of my tune book collection.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

14. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

DougC 

wow, so saddened by this, Stacy was a good guy. He added a lot to American oldtime fiddling, which he really loved playing.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Stacy Phillips, fiddler and dobro player extraordinaire, was an inspiration and a charismatic musical friend to many. I'll miss his great music, his dry sense of humor, and his vast knowledge of traditional fiddling. I learned a lot - as did many fiddlers and mandolin players - from his wonderful fiddle books and recordings. Stacy would have been teaching at Fiddle Hell Massachusetts this year; sadly, we'll remember him there instead.
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting this Dave. It's been ten days or so, and I'm still reeling from the sad news. So much so, that I just now got the idea to post a notice. Grateful you were more timely with yours.

I believe I've mentioned before that I once had a band in New Haven called Tin Can Alley, active in the early '80s. Dave and I and Lou Florio on guitar were the founding and core members. After the band broke up, a couple of positive results evolved. A mutual friend began hosting monthly potluck/hootenannies, of which we were charter members. These were extraordinary events, held in a three-story Victorian house with many rooms, providing the means to have numerous jams in wide-ranging styles simultaneously. And Lou founded a duo with Stacy. He became a regular at the First Friday Hoots, which went on for over a decade. I got to know Stacy well through this, and we were friends for some twenty years until I left. I must have jammed with him hundreds of times, here and at another similar hootenanny at a place out in the woods.

It was an honor to play with someone so talented, and also so generous musically. He was kind to me in many ways, teaching and leading by example, nodding his approval whenever I played a good lead. I owe him a great deal for his having helped in my musical development, however unintentionally.

I will always remember him. Godspeed, Archduke

PS: I heard about his passing through an odd happenstance. I happened to see a post by Terre Roche on facebook. He had played on a couple of The Roches' songs, and they returned the favor by singing on a couple of songs on his albums. I'd quite forgotten about this, then instantly recalled the connection.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

18. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yesterday was the fifth anniversary of his passing. I miss Stacy so much. I'd always hoped he would be so kind as to play a bit on one of my recordings. Now I have the technology and some of the know-how, but not the unique talent he would have brought. RIP, my friend.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!