Thread: Schertler Transducer Pickup Problems

Default Schertler Transducer Pickup Problems

I'm about to give up on this thing. I play a Collings MF & previously an MT, both of which I've ran through a Schertler that I acquired a year or two ago. It seems that no matter where I place it, I get an extremely muffled sound. Cutting the low mids and boosting the highs does help...but for the price of these things, it's still not to my liking. Any advice on getting optimal tone out of these darn things?

Previously, I've used a LR Baggs radius (too "thunk"y) & a K&K twin...considering going back to the Twin.

Default Re: Schertler Transducer Pickup Problems

I haven't used a Schertler for some time now, but wondering how much putty you are using. Use the least you can possible use and keep the pickup on. I have been using the K&K for years now and wouldn't go back.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'm probably using too much putty...didn't think about that affecting tonal quality. I think they recommend you use about a pencil-erasers worth and I'm probably going slightly over that.

I think too much will keep the pickup to far away from the top and could cause the problem you are having.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

You should be making a vacuum as you press it down so touch point in center, makes a firm contact..

there is the installed version

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resocoil-2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	168316

If you play amplified a lot ..
    uses a TRS jack , and so can still use a Mic Preamp in the House mixer..
    via TRS to XLR adapter or cables...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I am using even less than a pencil eraser amount, instead about the size of a very small garden pea. Mine couldn't sound better. Clear, bright, very much like the mandolin I am playing, whichever one I am playing. I hope you have similar success. If you don't, why not email the tech folks at Schertler? I have found them to be by helpful.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Thanks for the tips, guys. I used less putty than normal a couple of nights ago and it did seem a little better. I still had to boost the highs & cut the low mids...but I'm ok with having to do that, so long as it sounds good. I'll try the small garden pea amount next time and hope for even better results.