Thread: Thinking about a custom built Hinde mandolin...

Default Thinking about a custom built Hinde mandolin...

...I've read nothing but great things about them. He's made them (and guitars) for quite a few big names including Rick Faris and Nick Dumas of Special Consensus, Junior Sisk, and Wayne Benson, just to name a few. I've played a few of Steve's mandolins and they sound as good as anything I've played including a killer sounding Red Diamond I used to own. Anyone here know much about Hinde mandolins?
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

2. The following members say thank you to drbluegrass for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thinking about a custom built Hinde mandolin...

I don't know too much about them, but I met the mandolin player for Connection 27 in a local "battle of the bands" competition. He let me have a look at his Hinde, and even over all the background noise in the venue, I could hear and feel the instrument. Very good-sounding, loud, comfortable mandolin. They weren't previously on my radar but I'd definitely consider one now.

Drew, yeah I've been hearing lots of positive reports on Hinde instruments. The three mandolins I played sounded absolutely superb. I've also played two of his guitars and they were wonderful. I've met Steve and he is a super nice guy. He'll talk mandolins and guitars for as long as you want. He seems to be steadily gaining attention from big name pros. Word must be getting around. I have no connection to Steve other than being a potential customer. I've also heard he will build a mandolin to sound anyway you want, torified, non-torified, "EQed" to your preference. On the ones I played the craftsmanship was impeccable and the tone was to die for. He has some of the most beautiful bursts and naturals I've ever seen. Anyway, just thought I'd inquire here to see if anyone else has heard much about them.

I’m also considering this. I’m torn between this and a Pava. I actually contacted Steve today and he has a year long wait right now... which actually might be ok. Not sure how I’m going to decide. I’ve heard so many good things about both.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMN18 View Post
    I’m also considering this. I’m torn between this and a Pava. I actually contacted Steve today and he has a year long wait right now... which actually might be ok. Not sure how I’m going to decide. I’ve heard so many good things about both.
    Wow, I didn't know about the wait. I was thinking maybe 4-6 months. Evidently they're really starting to be in demand. Hmm, I'd better be thinking about getting my order in.

I meant to mention the detail work throughout the Hinde mandolins I tried was superb. Incredible inlay work and just the fit and finish (and tone) was outstanding. Very serious mandolins.

Since I’m in MN there’s a few people here that I can think of that have them. I think I’m only about 5 hours from Steve. His instruments get a lot of praise here. The idea of having one custom made exactly how you want it is very tempting. And the YouTube videos of the pros playing them also makes it very tempting. I’m on the fence because I also hear so many good things about Pavas.

I got to hang with Nick and Rick of Special C a bit at Frankfort Bluegrass Festival last year, and got to hear Nick's Hinde in person (Rick, who now plays guitar in the band, has a black top Hinde F style). I gotta say, blown away. The tone on these mandolins is absolutely incredible, there is something of that dry, woody, classic Gibson F5 but with an entirely new, wet, rich tone that comes out with single notes. My Northfield has had my MAS in remission, but hearing/seeing these Hinde's brought it right back! Likely, my next mandolin purchase will be a Hinde F5. Glad to see this post and hear the name is making its way around!

I've had 4 instruments made for me and didn't really like any of them. I would NEVER again have someone make me an instrument because, be assured, we all have different takes on everything, especially colour and volume/tone. I once gave a guitar to a very reputable luthier/guitar sprayer who had been working with PRS guitars, Gibson, Fender etc etc. I asked for a sunburst top, gave him the colour from a book. He decided HE wanted to match the colour with the back and just did his own sunburst. It was extremely well done and faultless but I didn't really like the colour because I wanted it the way I had said.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    I've had 4 instruments made for me and didn't really like any of them. I would NEVER again have someone make me an instrument because, be assured, we all have different takes on everything, especially colour and volume/tone. I once gave a guitar to a very reputable luthier/guitar sprayer who had been working with PRS guitars, Gibson, Fender etc etc. I asked for a sunburst top, gave him the colour from a book. He decided HE wanted to match the colour with the back and just did his own sunburst. It was extremely well done and faultless but I didn't really like the colour because I wanted it the way I had said.
    To counter your experience, I have two custom mandolins, and they are both exquisite.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

11. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

All of the Hinde owners I’ve met sure seem to love them. I also haven’t seen them for sale, so I think buying from a reputable maker helps calm my nerves of ordering one. I think the only negative I’ve heard is that some are a little bright. However, I’m told his more recent instruments are just getting better and better

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMN18 View Post
    All of the Hinde owners I’ve met sure seem to love them. I also haven’t seen them for sale, so I think buying from a reputable maker helps calm my nerves of ordering one. I think the only negative I’ve heard is that some are a little bright. However, I’m told his more recent instruments are just getting better and better
    Anytime you make custom instruments or even purchase one from a store there's going to be someone that thinks it's a little bright, not bright enough, too bass-ey, not enough bass, too much midrange, not enough mid range, etc. Especially if those opinions are passed along by word of mouth. But, yeah, Steve Hinde makes top shelf instruments. No doubt about it. Seems like word's getting around.

I got the opportunity to play one tonight and it sure was a gem. Did you decide to order one?

Well I’m taking the plunge! Super excited!

Keep us informed how things are going. I might be the next in line. I'll be seeing Steve at some festivals this summer and fall. I already have a finish in mind. Now I need a sound in my head (besides the sound of crickets). I like a big bodied, warm sound with a really sweet, air-y, top end. Also like some sustain, especially on the lower strings. Oh boy, I'm starting to salivate.

What I did was I tried someone else’s Hinde and then I went on the Hinde Facebook page. He has a number of videos posted there with different mandolins of his and their serial number. I fell in love with MF 32 and told him I want one that sounds like that

Wow! Ran the videos through a good sound system. The Hinde (MF 32) sounds fabulous. I want one.

I have MF 35, and cannot rave about it enough. It's beautiful to look at, fun to play, and sounds incredible!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin terranea.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	576.9 KB 
ID:	175566