Thread: Guitarist needs to boost mandolin for solos

Default Guitarist needs to boost mandolin for solos

Folks,

I play mandolin on 4 tunes and am primarily a guitarist. My rig is
    old MIJ Epiphone A with K&K pickups -> cheapo GMF Ai1 preamp -> PA.

I get usable sounds and have no complaints with the setup for rhythm playing.

Depending on the other instruments and dynamics, I would like to try to add a boost for my solos.

Before I buy anything, I thought I might try my compressor (BBE opto) and set the level a wee bit higher. I don't use many effects so the only other gain choice on my board is a Sparkledrive that I use to drive my Deluxe at lower volume. Its a flexible pedal, so I can use it as clean boost.

Any guesses on outcome?

I won't get to touch my board until Thursday nights rehearsal, so I was looking for some crowd sourced wisdom as a short cut.

TIA

Bob

Default Re: Guitarist needs to boost mandolin for solos

I use a RedEye preamp, it has a boost that you can adjust how much boost you want. It's small, simple, and sounds great.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

bob_mc 

After checking out your Ai1 pre-amp, it seems you would want a simple boost that is foot switchable, to kick on and off as needed. Since you already have a compressor, that would be a good place to start, with not too much compression (which would add a lot of audible noise to your signal) but a noticeable increase in level (volume) when kicked on. I don't know much about your Sparkledrive but since you already have it, why not consider it for your setup? The clean boost feature could be interesting. I would still start with the compressor pedal. The foot switchable feature is key to getting the instant boost you need in performance. Let us know if any of these proves to be useful.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

5. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

bob_mc 

Len B.
    I had a few minutes to test with a crappy amp last night, and the compressor seemed to work well. The amp is noisy as all get out, so I couldn't assess signal to noise with the compressor settings. Obviously real test will be with the PA and with full band.
    We usually use a small digital recorder in the room so I may post my results.
    Bob

I agree Bob, that's not a real test using a noisy amp, certainly not one you would use for a performance. You will most likely have more success with your standard setup and the full band. I still like using the compressor for the needed boost but the Sparkledrive does sound intriguing. Sorry I have zero experience with it however.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

The Sparkledrive has a feature that blends the original clean tone with the driven sound; I use it primarily for electric slide guitar parts. I wasn't sure how the compressor would respond to mandolin signal, but it gives me more focus as is to be expected.

I rewired my pedal board to use compressor tomorrow night (heaven forbid the guys play just a little softer behind my solos ) .

Quote Originally Posted by bob_mc View Post
    I rewired my pedal board to use compressor tomorrow night (heaven forbid the guys play just a little softer behind my solos ) .
    That would be asking a bit much. Curious how you rewired the pedal board. Are you still putting the mandolin into the pre-amp first, before the compressor? That would make some sense for impedance matching purposes. The high impedance of the K & K output would be "normalized" by the pre-amp, which is what I assume the compressor input requires.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

So, no clips yet; one of the other guitarists didn't make rehearsal last night so there was some sonic space for me.

I took the opportunity to start a conversation about volume and dynamic, and reiterating that I am primarily an electric guitarist, I might as well have been speaking Urdu when the next song took off.

I formally apologize to all you mandolinists!!!

I too am primarily a guitarist and play acoustic mando on several songs in a band. Redeye preamp for the mando (and acoustic guitar) is the best boost I've found. No color change, just volume. With mando I didn't have any boost luck with other clean boosts, EQs, compressors, ODs, etc.
    Collings MF Gloss Top mandolin, Kentucky KM-1000 mandolin, Godin A-8 electric mandolin, Pono Ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Signature Resonator guitar, Martin/Taylor 6 & 12 string acoustic guitars, Les Paul/ES-335/LP Jr./Strat/Tele elec guitars.

12. The following members say thank you to jab for this post:

bob_mc 

A friend has one of these that I've used with very satisfactory results with an acoustic mandolin equipped with JJB pickups:

Fishman Platinum Pro EQ Acoustic Guitar Preamp.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishman Platinum Pro EQ.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	363.4 KB 
ID:	168661

The boost is adjustable and works very well. YMMV

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

14. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

bob_mc 

Hi Bob,
    I play mando and acoustic guitar but also a lot of electric guitar these days. I think your instinct about the compressor is correct, they are by nature clean and non-coloring of the tone. Keep the attack and sustain dialed down and set the level to get the desired soloing boost. The spark booster is made to goose the preamp but also may add undesired tonal character to the mando.

16. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

bob_mc