Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Baird's shop burns - Arches Mandolins

Default Re: Chris Baird's shop burns - Arches Mandolins

I bought a great A-style from Chris a few years ago. Awesome instrument, and Chris is just a really nice guy. So sorry to hear about this.

Bummer. I'll offer some materials donations to help him get back to building mandolins when the time is right. Don't hesitate to ask the community; it could happen to any one of us.

j.
    www.condino.com

3. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

It is ironic that i am a fire scientist and that one of my mandolin kits i purchased recently was going to Spain got burnt to a cinder. So i am down $650 USD. I have supported Chris because his stuff are one of the best around.

We are living in a an unpredictable world. As a species we think we can live outside the limits of nature. It is very sad that Chris has to had a run of health, family, and now his business has been burnt to the ground.

For those ofyou who live in cities and towns the Wildfire Urban Interface (WUI) has these potential risks. I live in one of the most fire prone regions in the world and understand these risks and know how to reduce them. For many ordinary people they dont have a clue because their relationship with the natural world is becoming non-existent. If you live in one if thes places, you need to have a system to protect yourself from wildfire. That includes a water sprinkling system independent if the water supply and electricity.

I hipe Chris can find a way to get back on his feet. It is wonderful that forum members can find ways to support Chris. I have corresponded with him and he is in crisis mode.
    Nic Gellie

5. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    That's tragic !!. I've been an admirer of Chris' work since i saw a photo. of a Walnut F4 style mandolin that he'd built several years back - truly beautiful. Dare we hope that he was insured ?. So many luthiers don't seem to be.

I can only hope that Chris & his family come through this with help from their friends & their extended family - bad news indeed !!!,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arches -F-4 in Walnut.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	168639

That's my F4 that Chris built in 2005. My how time flies. I just sent Paypal gift funds to Chris at <private email address remove>, in case anyone needs the address.

NOTE: forum guidelines specify the posting of private email addresses of individuals is not permitted.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jun-23-2018 at 5:38pm. Reason: Posting someone's personal email address, phone number or address without their permission is prohibited.
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

Oh, my. This really was a chest shot. Especially since he JUST said he was looking at cutting back on kits and getting back into instrument building. I sincerely hope this doesn't stop him from doing that.

I own a couple of his instruments and as there are others which have come and gone; these Arches aren't going anywhere.

I look forward to the opportunity to play a few more before it's all said and done.

I personally don’t know him but when I was a working potter, there was and still is a craftsmen’s organization that everyone contributed to that specifically dealt with such tragedies. The Craftsmen Emergency Relief Fund. CERF. They sent goodly sums of money to rebuild studios ravaged by fire and flood.
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

The word I got from Chris is that he appreciates the support he has received. His internet access has been limited because he, the kids, and the dogs have been couchsurfing since the fire. You can Paypal him at the e-mail he used for business. If you need that e-mail, pm me.

CERF is great but has been out of funds for a while. If you'd like to donate to CERF, you can do so here: https://cerfplus.org/
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

Hi All,

I just wanted to give an update to those who had deposits in with me.

I've just now gotten back into my house. It had to be remediated for smoke damage and have the windows replaced.

My kids, dogs, and I have been living with friends for the past month. Plus I've been borrowing various vehicles as mine all burned up.

I'm going to have to earn and save up the money to refund the deposits folks have put in with me at my job. I have no problem doing this, but it is going to take me some time to do it. I plan to pay folks back in phases, as I can afford it.

I'm sorry for all the trouble.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Baird For This Useful Post:

I am on the verge of stringing up my Arches F5 kit. Cutting a nut and fitting the bridge is all that's left. Buy end of tomorrow I should be playing it in the white. It has been a wonderful journey and a source of much angst and delight, and so much fun. Can't thank Chris enough for the quality kit.

Wishing nothing but good to come your way.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

13. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

hank 

I was wondering how Chris was going after his shop and vehicles were incinerated in a wildfire last June. Anyone heard how he is going?
    Nic Gellie

I'd like to know too. My Arches kit gets better every day.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Well his business email is no longer working. His website is down. He may stopped having emails being sent to him.
    Nic Gellie

Happy New Year!

Has anyone heard any news from Chris?

I am a long time fan of his instruments. I still own a couple of them.

I also have a couple of email addresses and phone numbers, none of which work any longer.

I hope he is back on the scene one of these days...

Oh no this is terrible!! Praying for Chris and his family