Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Six More Miles - Danny Paisley

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: Six More Miles - Danny Paisley

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Thanks, Mark and Brad. I forgot just how good and true Picky Ricky could be.
    Thread derail allert.

Check this video out. I would guess that this is the mandolin that Ricky Skaggs plays on the above mentioned record (50ies/60ies Jethro Gibson).

Olaf

2. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Olaf, you can derail my thread with that kind of concert ANYTIME!
    I love the way Ralph plays “around” the string that went flat! This is history! I love it!
    Last edited by Timbofood; Jul-10-2018 at 10:25am.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    Thread derail allert.

Check this video out. I would guess that this is the mandolin that Ricky Skaggs plays on the above mentioned record (50ies/60ies Jethro Gibson).

Great clip! Ricky was a gum-chewin' fool...

Just spent some time waiting for someone at a doctors office, the “whole show” was really great! What store was that a promo for? Thanks so much Olaf, I enjoyed every minute of it! Curly Ray always looks like he’s waiting for the pizza guy! My age is showing, I SAW that band shortly after Roy Lee Centers demise, at Charlotte, MI. Maybe not that shortly, 1974(?)
    It was a cool summer and late night music carried a long way to a young ear like mine back then.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

6. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

From Timothy - " My age is showing,.." I suspect that there are folks a lot younger than you who'd love to have been old enough (or even 'born') to be there. Although at times,i wish that i was maybe 40 years younger,i'll never regret having seen many awesome musicians that aren't with us any more eg. Carter Stanley with Ralph & The Boys at the Royal Albert Hall,London, on March 11th 1966,& later on in June '66,Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys in Manchester,for whom my own band opened. I wouldn't have missed seeing those guys for a 50 year age rebate !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

8. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

About the "Good Old Days"...There was a time when a new store or an automobile dealer etc opened a new establishment they would book a bluegrass band to entertain folks while they were looking at the items in the store or at the new cars...I have played a few in my time but you just don`t see if any more...These young folks coming up now sure are missing a lot of good experience in playing bluegrass, Its almost like I have to beg an establishment to give us a booking these days but I guess that also depends on what part of the country you live in, at one time this area was "The bluegrass capital of the US" now a person is hard pressed to even find and open mic happening...My band does have a few places that keep booking us and we have played them for well over 15 years and the crowd is almost always the same faces each time we play those places but as they die off they don`t seem to be getting replaced by as many younger folks as the ones that die off...It is sad that bluegrass can`t flourish like it used to....WAMU radio at one time broadcast bluegrass for six hours every day but they feel now that a talk show is a better money maker and that folks will donate more money for that than they would for the bluegrass...

Yeah, I am crying over spilt milk but that's the way it is truthfully...

Willie