Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Recording Equipment Suggestion

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Looking for Recording Equipment Suggestion

I'll be attending my first music camp next month. Subject to the instructors' permission, we can make recordings of the classes. What suggestions for recording "equipment" do you have for someone who is technologically challenged?

I can use my phone or tablet if someone can suggest a good Android app.

Default Re: Looking for Recording Equipment Suggestion

Very wise to record the lessons it's amazing how much info. you will get & only process a small amount at least thats been my experience. If you want a really nice recording & dont mind spending 100.00 get one of these.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...waAk1OEALw_wcB

3. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

I agree about using something easy and familiar like your phone. If you want to also get better quality audio and/or video, you may want to check into some of the higher quality small mics that are available that attach to your phone. I recently picked up a Shure MV88 for my iphone and have been impressed so far with the results. Zoom is another manufacturer that also makes them. Good luck!

5. The following members say thank you to geechee for this post:

The Tascam Loubrava posted is nice and Zoom has a nice $100 recorder as well. I have an iPad and use Recorder Plus, it was free and does a nice job and it's easy to share with others. I have a Tascam Dr-07mkii which was one level above the DR-05 Lou posted, I got it on sale a few years ago. It's a nice recorder but I just got back from a camp and found my cell phone worked just fine.

Sorry, can't help with an Android but I'm sure there are nice ones out there.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the suggestions. I found Easy Voice Recorder in the Google play store. As secretary of our local friends of the library board, I'll make a test run at the July meeting and report back to this thread. I'm not opposed to spending $100, but if free does the job, I'll go that route!

9. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I found Easy Voice Recorder in the Google play store. As secretary of our local friends of the library board, I'll make a test run at the July meeting and report back to this thread. I'm not opposed to spending $100, but if free does the job, I'll go that route!
    Something to consider about music camps and workshops: It's fairly common practice for attendees to use a recording device and place it on the floor near the instructor, or somewhere else nearby. You get a better recording that way, with less room ambiance.

Personally, I wouldn't do that with my phone. Too risky that someone might step on it. For years, my S.O. and I have used cheap pocket recorders like the Zoom H2 at workshops. The current model is the Zoom H2n for around $150, there is a less expensive H1 for around $115, and I think there is a similar Tascam DR-05 recorder for around $100.

One big advantage of these little pocket recorders, compared to a phone, is that the battery supply is independent. No worries about running down your phone battery if you're continuously recording a 1 hour+ workshop or jam. Just carry spare disposable batteries for the recorder, and a spare flash card if you anticipate making extensive use of the recorder.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

In that situation I highly recommend an ipad or iphone running the app: Voice Record Pro. VRP lets you set levels precisely, allows basic cutting to get rid of such things as overly long beginnings, and it also offers a long list of one-click ways to save and distribute your completed sound file, for example sending to friends via email or dropbox. If you want to get fancy, you can also buy a mic that plugs into the lightning port for about $70. I have such a mic, but actually, I'd recommend you first try recording through the built in mic. Good luck and have fun.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Nollman for this post:

I second folded path's recommendation of a Zoom H2 - I had one for years that I used to record my lessons and also workshops I attended and it was super easy to use, great sound quality for the price, and as mentioned, meant that I didn't run down the battery on my phone! It also let me break long recordings into shorter segments. I've since upgraded to the Zoom H6 and am equally impressed with it, though in some ways miss the simplicity of the H2!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

You have an interesting 50/50 split between those advocating you use a smart phone + app + external microphone OR an inexpensive digital recorder!

I come down on the latter side. I think an inexpensive digital recorder does the job better, doesn't put your phone (and camera) out of action and at risk, and if you decide to buy a decent microphone someday you can actually make ridiculously good recordings for a very low price.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Here's one more vote for a small portable recorder such as the Tascam and Zoom mentioned above.

These are very handy little devices for quick audio recording, and once recorded, the audio is simple to move to wherever needed (such as the computer)...

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J.Albert For This Useful Post:

I'd go with the Tascam/Zoom choices. My own favourite is the Tascam DR-05 and it records in wav as well as mp3 format, so you can load files into a DAW later should you want to. I usually have mine on a mini tripod or you can place it on a piece of foam or dense material to absorb extraneous noise. The Tascam's mics I think are better than the one in my phone.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Another reason to use a dedicated recorder, instead of a phone:

Phones might not have enough storage space to do very much high-quality lossless (WAV) recording.

Does your particular model of phone have the option for "expandable memory", for instance a slot for a microSD card, to give you more space to store more files?

Audio files can be very large, depending on the quality settings.

I know several people who've completely maxed out their phones' built-in storage with too much clutter (games, pictures, videos, downloaded songs they never even listen to, & endless automatic bloatware updates that the owners are unaware that they can selectively disable), no room to add any more files. Even if phones have an "expandable memory" option (some don't), it's not always immediately obvious to some people as to how to use it effectively.

Whereas with something like a Zoom H2n (I have one, love it), just get some appropriate 32 GB memory cards (of the correct type) & you'll have plenty of recording space for even week-long camps/festivals even if you're recording for 12 hours per day (not as unlikely as it might seem, if there's great music & jams there). That way, you can record as much as you want, basically "set it & forget it" (just turn it on & let it run), without worrying about running out of storage space.

According to Sweetwater (for a lower model of recorder but still the same principle as far as file sizes), an *optional* 32 GB card (buy it separately) would give you:

• About 50 hours of audio in 16-bit/44.1 kHz WAV format.
    • Or about 555 hours in 128 kbps MP3 format.

Or, with the (now-tiny) "included 2 GB SD card", you could record about 3 hours of 16 bit/44.1 kHz WAV or about 34 hours of 128 kbps MP3.

Anyway, yup I agree with everyone else who recommends Zoom etc. As I said, I've been happy with my Zoom H2n. I had a lower-cost Tascam before that, didn't like the Tascam although that's not a fair comparison due to the price difference.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    wav ... so you can load files into a DAW later should you want to.
    That's an important point. WAV files are far better quality to start with. They don't have the sound degradation upon editing, that MP3 files do.

technologically challenged
    If you can handle a smartphone, I'd say you'll do just fine with a Zoom H2n or similar. Remember to get some spare AA batteries, rechargeables *or* alkaline work equally good (my Zoom H2n has a preferences setting where you tell it which type of battery you're using, for optimal performance). Much easier to simply put in a new set of batteries in the Zoom once in a while, compared to using a phone where you'd always be looking for a place to plug into the A/C...

I did once try an Android phone recording app, but it used up too much phone battery. Not useful for extended recordings.

Whichever device you decide on, for fuss-free workshop recordings I'd recommend using automatic level control, rather than adjusting the gain manually. Yeah the sound quality isn't as good, with automatic level control, but at least you'll get usable recordings.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The built-in mics of even the best 'phones do not begin to compare with those on decent standalone recorders; and while you can add external mics, in every case I am familiar with the connection is clunky, 'fiddly' or flimsy. A good standalone recorder is a far better bet and you are not reliant upon apps, non-changeable batteries, or 'updates' messing things up! If you get one with a pair of XLR connectors, you can (later) even use 'serious' microphones if you need or want to. They last for years (I still have and use one from 8 years ago, an original Tascam DR100, and it is still excellent, serving as backup to my other, multi-track field recorder).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Whatever you decide just make sure the volume is turned up when recording...just sayin’...

27. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I have a Zoom H2n I originally got with a grant for anthropological fieldwork collecting interviews, lucky for me it is great for recording music, nature sounds etc as well. I often use it as a recording interface directly linked to my computer via USB. I have a Zoom Q2n as well which is essentially a the H2n minus one mic and plus a video camera, however the video is pretty disappointing on it so I would recommend just getting the H2n unless you really wanted video for some reason. My Sony HX-80 digital camera has much better video than the Q2n and still very good audio recording.

29. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

OK, so I figure a smartphone app would have a shorter learning curve, but I'm convinced one of the recorders is the better way for me to go. I've looked at both the Tascam DR-05 and Zoom H2n online. The price differential is not a problem, but I'm wondering about ease of use of one compared to the other. I can read about the new (US) tax law all day long, but just a few words concerning these recording devices and my eyes glaze over. WAV vs. MP3????? It's Greek to me (and I don't speak Greek).

Anyway, for those of you with experience with both of the recommended recorders, which do you think would be easier for me to learn and use?

I'm wondering about ease of use of one compared to the other.
    I think they're going to be very close in that regard.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

32. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Here are the main differences, as far as I can tell from owning the older Zoom H2 and looking at the specs for both the H2n and Tascam DR-05.

The ease of use, as far as learning the controls, will be about the same for both of them. There's a bunch of stuff you don't need, so for basic workshop recording all you need to do is work out how to set the volume input and start and stop recording. Do some trial runs at home before the workshop, and you'll have it down.

The DR-05 comes with a larger (4GB) card than the H2n (2GB) but that's still a ton of room for recording in MP3 format, and that's what you'll want for a workshop scratch recording.

In my opinion, the form factor of the H2n is better, because it can record from the front or the back, or in a surround mode. That's very flexible. You can park it on a music stand and record yourself playing with the front-facing mics, or use the rear-facing mics in handheld mode, or place it in the middle of a jam circle and record in surround mode. The DR-05 is strictly fixed X/Y stereo facing towards the top of the unit, which can be tricky to aim if you don't use the included tripod. If you just set it flat on the floor, you won't get good results.

For that reason alone, I'd prefer the H2n. If you're not holding it in your hand, it's easier to place on a table or floor to get a good recording.

34. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Blog Entries

I'd also go for the H2n over the DR-05 for your purposes, in that budget range.....very easy to use. Compact. Delivers very nice recordings with a minimum of fuss. Neat little recorder.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

One more vote for a small stand-alone recorder. Low cost, easy to use, extremely durable, etc... These are great to have around for all sorts of things.

For this use, I agree that the H2n would be great. I was also really impressed with the newest H1n as well. The interface is dead simple to use. I don't own one, but just picked up a zoom F1 (same basic interface).
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I wanted to jump in here again and say that while the Tascam DR-05 is a great recorder - I’m sure the Zoom equivalent is as well - the newer Tascam 22wl is basically the updated DR-07mkii with wireless capability and a better? interface.

The Tascam 22wl allows you to record 2 tracks, you’d have to upgrade to the equivalent Zoom. While I don’t use it often I like that feature as I can put a rhythm track down and then do a melody. Of course you can use other software to do the same thing but just thought I’d mention it.

I don’t think you’d go wrong with either the Zoom or Tascam recorders mentioned and your smartphone app would do the trick for a workshop...it’s not like you’re recording those for posterity and that would buy you time to do more research and perhaps hit a sale.

...and I too enjoy reading the tax code though I’m retired now so the busy season is no longer busy for me...with tax prep anyway.

Which ever recorder you decide on, become familar with it before you arrive at camp. A lot of tech stress will not help the learning experience. Be sure and have extra batteries.

I'm revitalizing this thread because I find myself in the same situation Sherry was in a few years ago.

I'm attending the camp next weekend, and they recommend being ready to record the sessions. My phone is 5 years old and pretty full - I highly doubt it has the capacity to handle the weekend.

I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to audio equipment, but I do have a few different sounding instruments, and I'd like to, at some point (probably a 2023 project), record different tracks for them and put them together. It seems like these portable hand-held recorders can be useful in this type of project, but I don't really have time to do thorough research on the topic.

I've read the thread, and I'm thinking about a Zoom H1N for $99 or a H2n for $149. Is there a good reason for me to spend the extra fifty bucks? I have to buy it pretty shortly if I'm going to have any time at all to mess around with it before I go.

Hoping the hive mind can point me in the right direction.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Not sure what you mean by "record different tracks for them and put them together," but if you just mean putting them together serially, like in an "album" then the digital recorders can work. I'm a Zoom fan, having started with an H2 and then an H6 then the F8. (I was a fairly early adopter of all 3, but I now just have my last Zoom, a F8n, since I don't go out and record for a couple years now.)

The small, self-contained ones are fine for live situations if you can get them set where the sound is good and close enough to minimize external, room noise. This can be difficult in a class situation, but maybe folks will be quiet and considerate when the instructor is talking/playing. If you want to use external microphones, you'd need to move to at least something like an F3 or H4n. Regardless of what you get (or the brand), almost all will have a 1/4-20 thread for attaching to a camera stand/tripod, and a small one of those will give you a lot more options on placement. Even if anyone is using a smart-phone, a tripod and holder for the phone are going to make a big difference in the result.

The self-contained units have the most "self-noise" but for any live situation, this is usually not an issue. If you want to do something better at home, I would not get one of those, but plan to use something like the F3 with a good mic or two. That's a different level of expense, though.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

41. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

The main difference between the H1n and the H2n is the H2n has 4 mics and can do surround sound type recordings. Either one can be used as a USB mic allowing you to record to your computer and overdub using a DAW on your computer. For what you want, I think the H1n will do the trick. I have an old Zoom H2 (pre N version) and I use a tiny tripod to put it up by the instructor in workshops. It will give you a good recording to listen to and play along with later. If you have the recorder by you, you'll mainly hear yourself and the people around you.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

43. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post: