Thread: Cheaper Alternative to TP40?

Question Cheaper Alternative to TP40?

Hi all,

My favorite pick has been the Dunlop Primetone Sculpted Triangle 1.5mm. However, I'm getting to the point where I want something a little less rigid (more flex) - along the lines of what I'd expect around ~1mm. I found the Blue Chip TP40, which looks to be 100% what I want... but it costs more than I can responsibly pay for a pick at this time.

Does anyone know of a solid alternative that still has the sculpted edges, rounded triangle shape, and ~1mm thickness? Any advice is most welcome!

Default Re: Cheaper Alternative to TP40?

FYI, the Blue Chip TP40 may be thin at around 1mm, but it is definitely not flexible. I use the BC TAD40-1R, same thickness, and it's incredibly stiff. It's just the nature of the material.

Maybe someone else will jump in with a suggestion for something else to try.

Thanks for the insight! I am totally open to suggestions of things to try that might not be exactly what I was expecting - I want something fairly rigid has a tiny bit of give without losing too much precision/speed.

Wegen TF 100 or 120 would be worth a try. I like the 120, have not tried the 100. They are pretty flexible, the 120 will be way different that a Primetone 150.

I like the Wegen 100 and use them. While they are 1mm they are not necessarily flexible.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Sounds like you might like to try the Wegen TF-100. Nice pick series. I go back and forth with the BC and the Wegen TF. To me the TF's have a bright attack that might be much for a already bright mandolin but after a hour or two playing them I always like the way they play. After playing the TF-140 and the BC-55 mostly, I think the BC40 and the Wegen 100 have a bit of flex but it's all in how you play

The Wegen TF is same sized triangle as the BC TAD. BC TP is smaller

Besides Wegens, I like the Gravity gold picks (I buy from sweetwater, they don't have a complete selection but you get a bag of candy too), and these from Hense, which are available at Dusty strings in Seattle https://artisanguitars.com/hense-cre...-14mm-id-11023

I think they're both thermoplastics vs whatever BC is (you can search old threads for polyimide/polyetherimide)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

While the Wegen's have a brighter attack as Mark says, they also retain a nice low response. BC is less highs so you really notice the lows, but for me they are a little muddy. A brighter mandolin would love the BC.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

And BC's glide over strings slightly better than other materials, I think that is what rolls off the highs actually, and why we love them so much.

But no, they don't give or flex.

If you want something cheaper than a wegen, maybe consider the dunlop ultex triangles, they come in a variety of different thicknesses, the thinner ones do flex, and they feel remarkably similar to the primetones. They aren't bevelled, but will self-bevel after some use.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Give the Dunlop Tortex picks a try. They come in several shapes and a triangle is one of them . They are gauged from very thin .50mm to fairly heavy 1.18mm. The medium .73mm flexes a bit the 1.14mm hardly at all. These are my preference for inexpensive picks. Most brick and mortar music stores carry them so you can pick up a few gauges to try out. When you find the one you like they can be ordered by the dozen for a few dollars. In defense of BC's they are very good picks that don't show much if any wear and are remarkably easy to hang on to. But good grief it hurts to lose them. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have found the BC TAD-40 to be my favorite pick for strumming rhythm on guitar, it has just a little of the bounce-back flex in it for playing fast rhythm. Before making that shift I was using the big triangle version of Clayton white acetyl in the 80 and 100 weight. The plastic is a little harder than the some other materials, making it quieter, especially the 1mm thickness, but they do wear down.The Primetone triangle does also come in the 1.4mm thickness, but I doubt that will have the flex you're seeking. There really is no substitute for a Blue Chip (Primetone is very close in heavier thicknesses) they don't slip around in my fingers and the speed bevel and glide across the strings really gives much more control for speed picking. What Blue Chips don't do is wear down. I'm going on 5 yrs on CT-55 and it shows no sign of wear whatsoever. Depending on your playing level, I think they're definitely worth the investment.

Half gross of the extra heavy Fender 346 , regular heavy you can get just a dozen at a time..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I have a feeling that if you want flexible, you will like the Wegens. I bought some TF 140's (they are recommended for the Flatiron 1N which I used to have) and I feel like they are more flexible that's other options. My go to is a Blue Chip TAD60 1R, and in comparison, the Wegen is flexible. I do like it, I just LOVE my BC. Be aware though that Wegens too are expensive compared to most, just not AS expensive as the Blue Chips. If memory serves, I believe they were around $15 for a 2 pack.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Blog Entries

Dunlop's Ultex material is very stiff and has a rich tone, and their 1mm is a strong pick. I've used the standard-shape at .60, .73, and 1.0 mm.Your Primetone shape is available.

I see they now offer .88mm, which I am going to try, as the 1mm is perhaps a bit too stiff. The .73 feels about like a Fender medium but with a brighter tone, mainly from the beveled edge, which Fender picks lack.

The main reason I use Ultex is it lasts a really long time, at a cost of about $0.35 each, or 1/100 the price of a Blue Chip.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Tom - That's very interesting! I started my search for just such a pick (a Triangle Primetone with beveled edges in a 1.0mm thickness), but I just couldn't seem to track one down. I have since ordered a couple Wegen TF-100's, but if you have a link to the Primetones, that would also be appreciated!

Blog Entries

I think you want the link to Ultex, since you had an Amazon link for Primetones. Dunlop sells directly in bags of 72, but here's the Juststrings.com page for Ultex traingles in packs of 6 or 72:

http://www.juststrings.com/triultexf...cessories.html
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Thanks, Tom! I ordered 6 each of the 0.88, 1.0, and 1.14. I will let you know how they are when they arrive.

My Wegen TF-100's arrived, and they are EXACTLY what I was looking for. They have a nice bit of flex, which I noticed gives me a little more consistency/control playing slower arpeggios (over the Primetone 1.5). The 7 holes provide a much nicer grip than any of my other picks, and I really dig how you can see machining texture on the surface. Great recommendation - I may pick up the TF-120's when I have a little more cash!

18. The following members say thank you to westquote for this post:

gtani7 

I was going to suggest Ultex since it's very similar to Primetone, but Tom beat me to it.

Also not sure if someone else had mentioned but you can get 1mm Primetone also, just not in the big triangle shape.

I just wanted to update the thread now that I received the Ultex picks. I tested out the 0.88mm, 1.0mm, and 1.14mm Ultex triangles. The first thing I noticed is that they don't have the sculpted/burnished edge, but that hasn't made a huge difference for how I actually play them. Like the Wegen TF-100, they all have a great crisp sound.

As for flexibility, the 1.0mm Ultex seems significantly less flexible than the TF-100. I suspect this may partly be caused by the 7 holes drilled into the TF-100, but it may alternatively have something to do with the material itself. Anyway, I would compare the 0.88mm Ultex to the TF-100 in terms of flex and feel, and I am hoping to pick up the TF-120 at some point to compare against a Ultex 1.0mm.

Overall, having now played a fair bit with the TF-100, Ultex 0.88-1.14, and the Primetone 1.4 and 1.5, I definitely find myself reaching for the TF-100 and Ultex 0.88 more often than anything else. Thanks again to everyone for their excellent recommendations and insights!

Not to hy-Jack the thread but a 1 mm pick would have to flex more than a 1.5 or 2 mm or there would be no difference and no reason to make both. The BC may flex less than another pick of the same thickness, the flex may be so slight that it is hard to measure but the one picking the mandolin can tell the difference. IMHO.

Remember when you had Fender, Gibson, and Herco or store brand picks and that was about it? Then Dunlop came along with all their stuff! Now, it’s a zoo of stuff to choose from.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Remember when you had Fender, Gibson, and Herco or store brand picks and that was about it? Then Dunlop came along with all their stuff! Now, it’s a zoo of stuff to choose from.
    Just think about what the future will bring!
    I heard somewhere that material science development was decades ahead of applications, so the next great pick material has yet to be used. Oh PAS, you make my heart sing
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Just think about what the future will bring!
    I heard somewhere that material science development was decades ahead of applications, so the next great pick material has yet to be used. Oh PAS, you make my heart sing
    Or the next pick may be a "market killer." A pick so well made, so versatile, so cost effective, that it makes all other picks obsolete. Maybe...maybe...

Nahhh.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

25. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post: