Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1923 Martin A-style mandolin

Learning :)

Default 1923 Martin A-style mandolin

A few months ago I inherited my Great Grandma's Martin mandolin, and a note saying when the strings were changed and that it was bought in 1923. She doesn't know who wrote the note. The serial # is A-17981, and there is a sticker on the back of the head stock advertising a music store called Berqstrom Music in Honolulu, Hawaii. It is in amazing condition besides a small crack under the pickguard, any info? I'd love to hear about this piece of history!

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: 1923 Martin A-style mandolin

The serial number that you give does not fit the standard Martin serial number configuration. As far as I know, Martin did not ever use letters as part of their numbering system.

Martin mandolin serial numbers are generally stamped on the back strip or the neck block on the inside of the instrument, and are visible by looking through the sound hole. If the number you gave us is in another location, it is possible that the number was put there by a distributor. There may be another number inside the instrument.

A few pictures would help, including one of the serial number. Also, if there are any other stamps or labels on the instrument, a picture of them would help solve the origin of the instrument. If you cannot furnish pictures, please describe the location and the text of any labels or stamps.

Can you tell us what kind of wood the back and sides are made of?

I just looked at the mandolin in your profile picture, and it does appear to be a Martin instrument. But the picture is too small to be able to identify the model and confirm the year it was made.

The Martin mandolin serial numbers can be found at the bottom of this page. The guitars are listed at the top. Please post some pictures.

That Style A mandolin was made well into the 80's.

They are also located at the bottom of this page.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The Martin mandolin serial numbers can be found at the bottom of this page. The guitars are listed at the top. Please post some pictures.

That Style A mandolin was made well into the 80's.

They are also located at the bottom of this page.
    Looks to me like the numbers in A-17981 corresponds with 1947, not the 1980's, but I will repeat that I have not yet seen any Martin serial number with a letter prefix. I suspect there is another number somewhere on the instrument.

That is a wonderful gift. Perhaps another number will be located and the instrument will indeed be from 1923.

Pictures, please??
    Last edited by rcc56; Jun-30-2018 at 2:11pm.

It seems like I've seen the A prefix on some later mandolins (like 70's or 80's) but I can't recall. It's been a while since I had one in my hands.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Huh. I agree that I've never seen a Martin with a letter-prefix serial number, yet -- here's an expired Reverb listing for a Serial #15,000's Style A mandola with an A-prefix serial number. Listing's European, but seller's ID-ed as Mike & Mike's Guitar Bar in Seattle WA.

Explanation? Don't have one. Prefix added for mandola rather than mandolin? Not at all consistent with Martin practice, which was/is to number all US-made instruments consecutively regardless of model; consecutive serial numbers for a D-18 and a 00-28, e.g. Prefix added for export, or for a particular distributor? Again, don't know any precedent. Longworth's book is silent on the subject; some instruments that Martin made for other companies (Ditson, Wurlitzer et. al) had different serial numbering systems, but these instruments were generally labeled other than "Martin."

Can't find a reference to a letter-prefix Martin serial number system through Google. A conundrum.

Additional Stuff: Bergtrom Music was apparently founded in 1874 in Honolulu, since a 1917 newspaper feature celebrates their 43rd anniversary. There's a good deal of evidence that Martin built ukuleles for Bergstrom Music -- no chance that this is a ukulele, is there? (Nah, a ukulele wouldn't have a pickguard.) Martin ukes weren't serial numbered, but were marked "Martin"; the ones Bergstrom sold had a "Bergstrom Music" sticker on the back of the headstock, as you describe.
    Last edited by allenhopkins; Jun-30-2018 at 6:20pm.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

rcc56 

Teacher, repair person

I have the answer-- according to Gruhn's Guide, Martin stamped the model number in front of the serial number starting around 1931. I looked at the mandola that Allen referred, and there is a clear picture of the serial number with the letter prefix. I do not remember noticing anything like this before. Next time I see a more recent Martin mandolin, I'll make a point of looking to see whether they continued the practice into the later 1900's.

This means that the OP's mandolin is a Martin style A made in the year 1947. Martin's suggested price for the mandolin was $32.50. The next year, the price was raised to $36.

I have heard the Bergstrom Music name referred to on other occasions. A quick google search reveals that they were very active through the beginning of WWII, not only selling instruments, records, and radios; but also apparently as a publisher of sheet music.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Very cool.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2633BAB5-FBFE-4BEA-AB64-D03EDC2282F7.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	169099 here is the number

I cannot find anything that would be a serial # other than the previous one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25CF1390-4F40-44E9-8F56-BB98F0EE9C1F.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	902.6 KB 
ID:	169100  

This is very helpful! Thanks so much to anyone giving replies

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    The serial number that you give does not fit the standard Martin serial number configuration. As far as I know, Martin did not ever use letters as part of their numbering system.

Martin mandolin serial numbers are generally stamped on the back strip or the neck block on the inside of the instrument, and are visible by looking through the sound hole. If the number you gave us is in another location, it is possible that the number was put there by a distributor. There may be another number inside the instrument.

A few pictures would help, including one of the serial number. Also, if there are any other stamps or labels on the instrument, a picture of them would help solve the origin of the instrument. If you cannot furnish pictures, please describe the location and the text of any labels or stamps.

Can you tell us what kind of wood the back and sides are made of?

I just looked at the mandolin in your profile picture, and it does appear to be a Martin instrument. But the picture is too small to be able to identify the model and confirm the year it was made.
    Sides are mahogany and I believe the top is a form of spruce

Is the pickguard inlaid into the top or glued on top of it? I think it's newer than you think it is.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Teacher, repair person

Serial number and appearance are consistent with 1947. A great family heirloom. May you enjoy it for many years.

Is the pickguard inlaid into the top or glued on top of it? I think it's newer than you think it is.
    It is inlaid

If it's inlaid then it's in the 20's. There is a disconnect here someplace.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

The picture looks like it is glued to the top, but it is hard to tell in a picture.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I think some were glued to the top before the top was finished which may make it look as though it's inlaid.

Looks glued to the top with the typical pickguard crack forming on the outside. Standard Martin practice for a long time. You should have that crack checked when you get a chance. Otherwise general appearance is very good condition.

Very cool to have an instrument from a relative. Especially with the sticker from the original dealer. Enjoy that one.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

The inlaid guards were flush and cracked as bad as the guards that were glued to the top. The early 20's Style A guards were inlaid. I still think that's a late 40's mandolin.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

This mandolin was stamped in August 5, 1947 and cleared final inspection on October 27, 1947.

The pick guard material changed in color and pattern over time. This one is consistent with material of the period. It is glued to the bare top wood then finished over, making it appear to be inlaid if you're not used to vintage Martins.
    Last edited by Buck; Jul-04-2018 at 10:11am.

25. The following members say thank you to Buck for this post:

The inlaid guards were flush and cracked as bad as the guards that were glued to the top. The early 20's Style A guards were inlaid. I still think that's a late 40's mandolin.
    Yeah it is glued for the top

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    This mandolin was stamped in August 5, 1947 and cleared final inspection on October 27, 1947.

The pick guard material changed in color and pattern over time. This one is consistent with material of the period. It is glued to the bare top wood then finished over, making it appear to be inlaid if you're not used to vintage Martins.
    Wow thanks so much !

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Looks glued to the top with the typical pickguard crack forming on the outside. Standard Martin practice for a long time. You should have that crack checked when you get a chance. Otherwise general appearance is very good condition.

Very cool to have an instrument from a relative. Especially with the sticker from the original dealer. Enjoy that one.
    I was going to get the crack fixed once I have the money, sending it to Rosa String Works

28. The following members say thank you to bb0nak for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bb0nak View Post
    I was going to get the crack fixed once I have the money, sending it to Rosa String Works
    Can I ask why you're considering that shop? If you've had good experience there, you may feel it's a good choice. Having watched some of the videos, I see a lot non-period type work on vintage instruments. It makes me uncomfortable. I would (and do) choose repairmen who use the most period-correct repairs possible. On vintage instruments the execution of the repair is nearly as important to future value as the type of damage itself.